Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 01:28PM

...and she shared it with me. And I will share it with you so you can all read this blog in all it's morg goodness that tells us how to spin the eclipse into church (and Donald TrumP) related subjects.

And as much as I "love" my sister, she's getting really over the top lately.

If you can stand the whole thing, more power to you. I couldn't finish it.

https://allstandtall.blogspot.com/2017/08/the-great-american-eclipse-what-it.html

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2017 01:41PM by memikeyounot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 01:52PM

I read the blog, oh my.

Posted by: yeppers ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 01:59PM

I "ponderized" it.

Posted by: yeppers ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 02:04PM

That's all flavors of crazy right there.

It's Mormonism mixed with Alex Jones/Alt-Right/Coast 2 Coast AM kookery.

X marks the spot indeed.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 09:12PM

I merely ponderbated it.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 02:02PM

Oh, my.

Is she going to post a "never mind, I was being ridiculous" after the eclipse when no "biblical" or "mormon" "prophecy" stuff happens from it?

Sigh.

Posted by: CTRringturnsmyfingergreen ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 02:04PM

I could only get through a couple paragraphs. This should be exciting stuff at the next F&T meeting!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 02:09PM

Of course you couldn't finish it. I don't even know how I am going to unsee the first bits I scanned. It's like a corked wine. You know the cork taint that ruins everything is there on the first sip and down the sink goes the bottle.

It always seems that there is a contest on who can "out Mormon" each other. Your sister has a shot at the trophy. So does my brother.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 02:12PM

Now my head hurts

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 02:14PM

Yes, a bit over the top. She says she is checking her daughter out of school that day to view the eclipse. I just hope she has the proper eye protection for both of them!

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 02:27PM

Yes, hope that's the next thought that comes into her head. Hopefully there's a Memphis brand of eye protection so she can feel good about it.

Date: August 16, 2017 03:14PM

My adult son has been kind of obsessed with this and he's taking his 14 year old daughter, with grandma, to Wyoming from Salt Lake City.

They're not in school yet, but her mom is mad that he's taking her so she'll miss volleyball practice. She made the high school team this year.

I tend to think her dad is doing the right thing since we likely won't see anything like it anytime soon.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 02:59PM

Nobody can think outside the eclipse in this small town im just grateful to not be in any gossip circles.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 03:13PM

My care about it on a scale of 1-10= -30

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 05:28PM

Yikes. The spirit is either working overtime at your sister's house or she could probably benefit from a psych evaluation. She's way out there, but in good company in the Mormon church. I have a few Mormon FB "friends" who post crazy stuff like this all the time and other Mormons eat it up.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 06:14PM

This is the first eclipse ever, right?

Posted by: Anonomo ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 09:39AM

They're very "rare." Lol

Posted by: Bluebutterfly notloggedin ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 06:53PM

I only skimmed a little of it, cause it was sooooooooo long. But I did gather that she must really love conspiracy theories. I have a TBM sister just like this who would eat this stuff up too.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 08:34PM

The word "ponder" *twice* in one short paragraph!?

I'm going down the rabbit hole, but with snacks and a cold refreshing drink next to me....

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 09:08PM

A harried young mother with her mind gone haywire. She seeks easy "knowledge" she can share with others for attention. Her life is overwhelming, so she looks for a greater reality. Perhaps one that few can see, she imagines.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 09:16PM

I didn't get very far into it. I have little interest in the eclipse.

Posted by: jeffbagley ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 11:24AM

Don and I were raised on this nonsense. Our father told us once that Jesus would be arriving soon riding on a comet. After a while you stop listening to the words and start to focus on the mental state of the speaker.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 12:11PM

Yikes! That's some grade-A mormon think. My former mother in law believed that she was married to Jesus and was his favorite wife. She had all the secret knowledge.

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 09:29PM

My cousin was going off on this whole theory. I admire whoever came up with it in a way, since it's a pretty clever interpretation, but all I could think (as I listened politely) was that God is pretty passive-aggressive if this is the way he alerts the world of coming events.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 10:34PM

It's purely a matter of physics. It would happen whether Christianity existed or not. a "cross" happens every time two lines cross each other. No supernatural explanation needed. I'm dragging my solar equipped telescope down to Tennessee to see it, and I will see it even with my non-christian eyes. Do you live near your sister? Can you go and rattle chains and make banshee wails when the eclipse occurs?

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 11:56PM

Okay, I got stuck on the picture of Jesus at the top. Take that picture of him, add a couple of tats; dress him in jeans, a leather vest, and biker boots; pull his hair back in a pony tail; give him a pair of ray bans; and put him next to a motorcycle/chopper.....and you have.....Lorenzo Lamas in Renegade!

Mike, I know you love your sister....but, WTF!!!

Date: August 17, 2017 02:28AM

Having read your comments, I just want to make sure that everyone knows the woman who wrote all the stuff ISN'T my sister. She just picks this stuff up on the internet and shares it with EVERYONE she knows.

She just isn't capable of writing anything original.

And yes I love my sister, because you're supposed to.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 04:23AM

This is as crazy as any conspiracy theory I've ever read, and I've read some doozies. If I were to assemble the four or five people furthest removed from reality that I've ever known in my life, and if we were to share a bowl of psilocybin mushrooms before embarking on our creative journey, we still wouldn't be able to come up with anything that even approaches this work in terms of sheer madness. The woman deserves some sort of prize; perhaps a decade of free room, board, anti-psychotics and mood stabilizers, and electroshock therapy in Bellevue would be fitting. It's disconcerting that she is entrusted with the care of young children.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 09:57AM

The only interest we had in the eclipse was that we wanted to enjoy a pleasant trip to Yellowstone before the event occurs with all of the expected crowds. We went last weekend and had a nice time, even with the usual summer crowds. On our way home, we passed by lots of people headed to Jackson. If they show a little of it in the news,fine. Otherwise, meh. Glad I'm out of TSCC and all of the fear, fear, fear!

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 10:14AM

I live in the path of the total eclipse. Schools are closed here for that day. When I was at the hardware I overheard a comment they just ordered 2000 more eclipse glasses. We will be able to watch from our front porch with some friends coming over to participate. It is a once in a lifetime experience. It will occur at 2:30 PM for us in TN. Looking forward to it.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 11:41AM

Enjoy Eric! Northern Utah has been hit with eclipse fever. I don't even want to know what the roads heading to Idaho and Wyoming are going to be like. On the positive side, the eclipse is similar to the times when the Utah Jazz were in the playoffs. Both happen rarely, and both bridge the Utah "great divide."

Date: August 17, 2017 12:42PM

Hopefully things dont get to crazy boner im in southeast idaho for gods sakes.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 12:43PM

Dear God:

If it be thy will that Trump be impeached, please give us a sign like blocking out the sun or some such thing.

Thank you,
America

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2017 01:21PM by Shummy.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 12:04AM

Shummy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dear God:
>
> If it be thy will that Trump be impeached, please
> give us a sign like blocking out the sun or some
> such thing.
>
> Thank you,
> America

+ 1,000

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 12:47PM

as my ex is from Rexburg and he has family up there. I still don't have any interest. I have this deeply buried fear that I just realized about eclipses when I was young and people talked so much about going blind if you looked at it. I was so afraid I'd go blind just by being outside that I've never gotten over it. So I have no interest no matter how illogical it might be. Those little girl fears are still with me in some cases.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 12:48PM

OH! My Goodness!!!!!

Date: August 17, 2017 01:05PM

I dont really want to look at the eclipse either, but dont solar eclipses happen every four years? Whats the big deal about this one? I understand for some people not going to name who that this is the most exciting event to happen in their lifetime.

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 01:25PM

badassadam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I dont really want to look at the eclipse either,

Then don't.

> but dont solar eclipses happen every four years?

Not that you can view without traveling great distances and spending a bunch of money to view.

> Whats the big deal about this one?

It's path travels from coast to coast through the center of the continental United States.

> I understand
> for some people not going to name who that this is
> the most exciting event to happen in their
> lifetime.

If you don't understand why someone would be excited about seeing something that they will only get an opportunity to see once or twice in their life then it's beyond my ability to explain it to you.

Posted by: chipsnsalsanotloggedin ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 10:52AM

WOAH, this reminds me of the level of crazy we had at my house. We were always looking for apocalyptic tie ins...to EVERYTHING.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 07:16PM

I remember a solar eclipse like this in 1970. They made a big deal out of it in school and we were warned not to look at it directly. MY WEEKLY READER taught us how to make something out of cardboard so we could view it without hurting our eyes. I ended up watching it on our black-and-white T.V. screen.

Outside of school, nutjobs were expecting something HUGE to happen, like the 2nd coming of Christ or the Soviets taking over the United States.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 08:15PM

OMG! That blog is crazy! Poor brainwashed cult member! Seriously that was sad to read! The cult has hijacked her brain.

Posted by: xena ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 04:41PM

It's hard enough to divest oneself of the *past* nonsensical religious cray-cray. To tie future, regular, predictable geological and cosmic events, such as the positions of stars, eclipses and earthquakes to religion in the 21st century is a desperately sad act.

...Numerology...? Because math can describe nature, and even animals can recognise quantity. My grandmother was a numerologist, among other things, and uh, yeah. 10 digits is a wonderfully small pool for coincidences.

I'm sorry, OP. You love her, so I would think you've already suggested to her that she not hitch these rides on crazy trains. I think she is desperate for answers that never come, and afraid to miss one. Heart-breaking stuff.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 05:48PM

Ew.
I live in sc in the area the eclipse is total. I am sooooooo very tired of hearing about it. We hear, ad nauseum, about tailgating, parties, visitors from all the place, major traffic problems, and schools being closed that day. Please make it stop!!! I'm glad I won't be around next time this happens. BFD

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 07:44PM

And, Shummy, thanks for the hilarious remark! LOLOLOLOL

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.