Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 09:20PM

That is cool. Thanks :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 10:10PM

Apparently im in the best area for the eclipse in southeast idaho, im told people are going to come from all over to see it and the freeways will be deadlocked. Everyone is selling eclipse glasses its about the only exciting thing to happen in this boring town its very sad but true.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 11:23PM

I was pleased to see how much we'll get in Sacramento. I have seen a couple of partial solar eclipses, but none with this much coverage. Looks like ninety percent.

Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 01:28AM

OMG I saw a facebook post from a colleague who is going to Nebraska (from Texas) just to see the eclipse. Says he has an extra hotel room if anyone wants to buy it...apparently he paid for two because he thought his wife and kid were going, but they had to bail. He's still going. Alone. Yikes.

Don't get me wrong, I like a natural wonder as much as anyone else. But travel six hours just to see this better than where he lives?

The last big occurrence in space was the super red moon or something like that. Two years ago. I happened to be in Puerto Rico. I didn't go just to see it (was it any better there? I don't know.) Made plans to do something on the balcony of my hotel with my girlfriend--each of us facing forward and the sky, um, without clothes, and "connected" while it was at it's peak.

I call that a celestial event. Nebraska alone to see an eclipse? LOL

Posted by: ALifeExamined ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 05:16AM

I'm flying into Nashville from D.C. for the sole purpose of seeing the total eclipse. It may not be a once in a lifetime opportunity but it comes pretty close.

Date: August 16, 2017 06:22AM

Thats what people around idaho are doing they are all coming here for the view of the eclipse personally i dont get excited for such things its like saying jesus is coming to missouri next week and everybody getting wowed by the spectacle. Well if its impressive than atleast i didnt have to travel for the best seat in america.

Date: August 16, 2017 08:42AM

badassadam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> its
> like saying jesus is coming to missouri next week...

Except the eclipse will actually show up :)

Date: August 16, 2017 08:48AM

Hahaha now that made me laugh for real

Posted by: elfling_notloggedin ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 03:11PM

Depending on weather, I'm driving from NJ to Tennessee, or Missouri.

Everyone I know who has experienced a total eclipse has said - it is worth going to extremes for.

Date: August 16, 2017 03:14PM

Hmmm maybe i should take this eclipse thing more seriously if its that impressive, time to get glasses maybe.

Date: August 16, 2017 03:25PM

You don't really need glasses -- you can make one of these in about 10 minutes, and get a great view :)

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/box-pinhole-projector.html

Date: August 16, 2017 03:43PM

Alright maybe i will do that i got a box already so almost there.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: August 16, 2017 10:42PM

Date: August 17, 2017 05:15PM

I would laugh wouldnt hurt me any just all the people that traveled here from out of state.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 06:30PM

We'll get about 80% coverage here in southern Alberta. I have my welding helmets cleaned and ready to watch it.....with my luck it'll be cloudy...

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 09:05PM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We'll get about 80% coverage here in southern
> Alberta. I have my welding helmets cleaned and
> ready to watch it.....with my luck it'll be
> cloudy...

Viewing with Protection -- Experts suggests that one widely available filter for safe solar viewing is welders glass of sufficiently high number. The only ones that are safe for direct viewing of the Sun with your eyes are those of Shade 12 or higher. These are much darker than the filters used for most kinds of welding. If you have an old welder's helmet around the house and are thinking of using it to view the Sun, make sure you know the filter's shade number. If it's less than 12 (and it probably is), don't even think about using it to look at the Sun. Many people find the Sun too bright even in a Shade 12 filter, and some find the Sun too dim in a Shade 14 filter — but Shade 13 filters are uncommon and can be hard to find. The AAS Reputable Vendors of Solar Filters & Viewers page (link is external) doesn't list any suppliers of welder's filters, only suppliers of special-purpose filters made for viewing the Sun.To find out more about eyewear and handheld viewers go to

https://eclipse.aas.org/eye-safety/eyewear-viewers

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 12:46AM

I burnt holes in my maculas when I was 13, looking at a solar eclipse. Couldn't get the box and pinhole to work. Dum kid.

Now, the dead center of my vision is gone. Can't see up close. Beyond 12" from my head to infinity, just fine.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 03:03PM

I'm going to have a nice view during my morning break at work, just before the peak. I could do the pinhole thing as that's generally how I've seen other solar eclipses.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.