Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: goldrose ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 05:36PM

This is my last semester at BYU and I'm honestly shocked nobody from the ward or my roommates didn't have any church speech with me cause I've never showed up at church. I moved to the ward in April and I'm 100% positive my church record transferred to this ward. Nobody followed up with me or "made sure I was doing okay". I have VT and HT assigned, but they never showed up.

Maybe my name slipped through some cracks. Don't think I'm complaining. It's actually awesome!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 05:49PM

It's been quite a few years since I attended BYU, but I remember spring and summer term being a little more laid back than the regular school year.

Ward boundaries and your bishop might change when the majority of students return in the fall. I hope things remain the same for you, but don't get too comfortable yet. The ward might suddenly become interested in you in the near future.

Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 06:10PM

want2bx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's been quite a few years since I attended BYU,
> but I remember spring and summer term being a
> little more laid back than the regular school
> year.

Hmmm..I attended BYU year-round and found the opposite to be true. It was much easier to fall through the cracks in the much larger crowds of the Fall and Winter semesters. There are far fewer students during the Spring and Summer terms so there seemed to be a greater focus on the folks that they knew were going to be around then mainly to fill ward callings and such.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 05:57PM

It's still a little risky. They could look at your record and pull your EE if you get a dick bishop. A little tap dancing now would be a prudent investment.

Date: August 13, 2017 05:59PM

Yep, if there's a time to go inactive and fall off the radar at BYU, your last semesters are the time to do it since you don't need another ecclesiastical endorsement. It's exactly what I did way back in 1996 during my final year. Just be careful to not draw any attention to yourself because, technically, your endorsement can be revoked at any time. Also, be 1000% sure that you WILL graduate, so you won't need an endorsement for the next year. I have a recurring dream where I haven't been to church in months and am afraid I can't enroll at BYU to finish and graduate. What nonsense from a so-called university.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 09:40PM

sharapata Wrote:
> I have a recurring dream where
> I haven't been to church in months and am afraid I
> can't enroll at BYU to finish and graduate. What
> nonsense from a so-called university.

Sharapata, this is hysterical. One of the most common dreams is the one about it being time for either the last class session of a term or for the final exam and handing in of all course work, and the dreamer hasn't attended a single lecture or class session. I thought I was the only person who dreamed that until my older sister told me that everyone she knew who had attended college had experienced the same dream multiple times. Being studious and a regular attender of classes apparently doesn't prevent having the dream. In all of my undergraduate studies, I only missed four class sessions, three because my fiance was gravely ill and one because I had a schedule conflict and absolutely had to meet with my faculty adviser right before my senior piano recital. I've been blessed with excellent health and am almost never sick.

How absolutely fitting that there would be a BYU hybrid version of The Dream in which the dreamer hasn't been to church in ages and worries about an EE. This just made my day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2017 12:20AM by scmd.

Date: August 13, 2017 09:58PM

Thank you. Yes it is quite amusing and I have had that dream multiple times during the last 21 years since I graduated. I should also add one more tidbit about my Church inactivity during my senior year at BYU. At the beginning of my last semester, it was the Winter semester before graduating that April, I was approached by the 1st counselor in the bishopric to teach Sunday School. I still do not know to this day how I pulled this off, but I actually said No! I said I was overwhelmed with school and my internship, with it being my last semester, which was the truth. But, I had some balls then. Not only did I say no, but I never did attend Church again at BYU, and amazingly there were no consequences! The Church always says to never say no and this is doubly true as a BYU student.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 12:19AM

sharapata Wrote:
Not only did I say no, but
> I never did attend Church again at BYU, and
> amazingly there were no consequences! The Church
> always says to never say no and this is doubly
> true as a BYU student.

Yes, that took balls. I wouldn't put it past them to make it an honor code violation to turn down callings.

Date: August 13, 2017 06:02PM

I'm moving out next week. Got a job on the East Coast.And I have all my classes finished.

If they don't give me my diploma and kick me out the last week of the semester, I'll just go somewhere else get my degree. I'd seriously do that. I can't do the pretending anymore.

Last week my parents said that it's a great thing I got a real job, but it's too bad I didn't try hard enough to date a fine young man cause BYU was basically my only opportunity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2017 06:03PM by goldrose.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 06:08PM

You should be very grateful for not having landed a "nice Mormon boy". That's one freight train of baggage you won't have to cart around.

Whatever it takes to complete you, be that. The rest will take care of itself.

Date: August 13, 2017 06:13PM

Oh you bet I am. My mom had her first child the month she graduated BYU. She never worked, so she sees me a loser that I have to work now cause I'm not married and don't have kids.

I can't wait for the coffee shops and bars in New York

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 06:12PM

Congratulations, Goldrose! That's wonderful that you got a job. Make sure that your degree is posted before you fully distance yourself from the church. The records department at BYU will be able to tell you when this happens (it likely won't coincide with graduation.) It will say that the degree was awarded along with the date on your transcript of classes.

Let us know where you land up, when and if you are able. I'm an East coaster!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2017 06:13PM by summer.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 06:04PM

At BYU, I was a TBM, but I was too busy for church. I never believed that God would punish me for non-attendance, if I was as good as possible for me, in every other way. I would tell the nosey Mormons that I was spending Sundays with relatives. Some were in Provo, and some in Salt Lake. My aunt and uncle in Provo were jack-Mormons, and they told me I could give their name to my bishop, if necessary. I would study at the relatives' houses, or at friends' apartments, or take off and go skiing or hiking. I would go to SLC one weekend a month.

Just disappear on Sundays, and people will be too lazy to bother with you.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 01:10AM

Cherish every second it lasts

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 06:58AM

If anyone questions your activity, go on the attack: "I'm ALWAYS there! Every Sunday! What am I? Invisible??"

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 08:11AM

Get an official copy of your transcript. If there's even the slightest chance that they boot you, they will hold your transcripts and you will lose all your credits.

I know this from gay students whom BYU punishes for "Honor Code violations". They lose all their credits and have to start over.

It's insurance, get it!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.