Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 09:44PM

I had the following exchange via IPhone the other day with a deep case of deep-caved treasuring hunting masquerading as legit research.
_____

Here’s how it unfolded:

-Inquirer:

“Is this Stephen reed benson, the grandson of Ezra Taft benson?”

-My reply:

“Why do you ask?”
_____

-Inquirer:

“I would like to know if you have proof about the signature machine. I am interested in your grandfather. I have his biography. I got your phone number form a website. I searched for your information using a few different sites and concluded that this phone number must be the Stephen benson cartoonist, grandson of Ezra Taft benson

-My reply:

“I have proof in my possession of signature machine use in ETB letters that were sent to me from his Church office when he was a member of the Quorum of the 12.

“Those signatures are precisely identical in every detail and respect, whether they are of his initials only or of his full name.

[Editor’s Note: I should have added that in this collection are signature-machine letters sent to me signed with the auto-penned initials “ETB” placed directly above his fully typed-out name, indicating that his office staff was churning out his “replies” with initials that didn’t match up with the full signature typed out below those initials. Lazy].

-I continued:

“I spoke to D. Michael Quinn about this and he included it in his book, “The Mormon Hierarchy: Extensions of Power.

“A copy of one of his auto-[penned] letters I on the ‘Salamander Society’ website

[Editor’s Note: see http://www.salamandersociety.com/legal/]”
_____

-Inquirer:

“Thank you for speaking with me.

“I know this is a lot to ask..but if you took a few pictures of the signatures from his letters, I would appreciate it.”

[Editor’s Note: What followed in the Inquirer's same fishing expedition is a question that sealed the deal as to this person being something of a marvelous work and a wonder wingnut]:

“Also..do you think it is possible he really was beaten in the temple?”

[Editor’s Note: See http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,816731,816731#msg-816731]

-My reply:

“I would have preferred that you had provided me verification of your personal identification and credentials (which you have not done and which you should have answered at the outset). That is standard operating procedure in any serious scholastic endeavor.

“Since you did not follow that approach, it makes me quite hesitant to agree to your request.

“Frankly, I am skeptical of your legitimacy and reliability, given:

“(a) your anonymous approach; and

“(b) based on your absurd question, ‘Do you think he was really beaten in the temple?’

“Those are serious red flags.

“Please do not contact me again.”
_____

-Inquirer:

“Please, I’m sorry. My name is [name deleted]. Look up my Facebook profile. I have a signed copy of your grandfather’s biography by Sheri Dew

[Editor’s Note: Sheri Dew is another serious red flag. See http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1650743,1650743#msg-1650743]

-My reply:

“Sorry, [name deleted]. No go.”
_____

-Inquirer:

“I don’t know how I can further identify myself. I promise I am serious about these inquiries. Well..thank you for what you have already provided. I was looking forward to contacting you. I know this is weird and out of the blue.”

-My reply:

“Please honor my request and do not write me again.”
_____

-Inquirer:

“Ok”

And so it goes. Where the LDS La-la Land lunacy stops, who in the hell knows?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2017 10:00PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 10:24PM

Doubt fishing in America.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 10:28PM

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2017 11:00PM by steve benson.

Posted by: knox ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 09:27AM

The request for pictures directly from his grandson - sounds like "Antiques Roadshow" provenance hunting to me. I would think the online images would be enough for any TBM bragging rights, but quite difficult for a TBM to explain visiting or direct other TBMs to the website.

I read your story of the - I would call them "crimes" - against your family surrounding your grandfather's passing, and it nauseates me to think of someone thinking nothing of making such a personal request of you, especially, without any introduction or explanation. TBM clueless rudeness of the sort that ignores common decency.

I'm sorry you have to deal with such intrusions.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.