Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 11:59AM

Cuz you can fix gay, right?

"At one point Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the Twelve is asked “How do you help a young man or young woman who comes in and says ’I think I’m gay’?”

“Give them association with manly things,” he replied. “Strong men that represent the ideal of relationships, a man who is vigorous and knows the power he holds.”"

"Asked how to address a same-sex couple that shows “inappropriate affection” during services, Perry said they should be brought into the Elder’s office for a reprimand."

http://www.newnownext.com/mormon-leak-gay/08/2017/?xrs=synd_facebook_nnn

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 12:36PM

Lot's of gay men like sports, mechanics, carpentry and stuff. Many gay men are in the Army, even in infantry and armor. What exactly are "manly things?" I am straight, and I used to sew. I am straight and am a hopeless cat lover. I think that the fact that Mormon leaders say such crap is a sure sign that they are full of shit and completely disconnected.

Date: August 12, 2017 12:45PM

Yeah, I've never really understood what "manly" things are. Or, people that say "real men" do this or that. If you're a man and do something, it must be a manly thing. If you're a man, you're by definition a "real man".

I suppose using your penis to pee could be considered a "manly" thing. lol

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 01:39PM

Here's something manly:

Making it through a public speech without crying like a little girl.

Date: August 12, 2017 01:43PM

Nah...lots of women can do that.

Posted by: not logged in ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 10:40AM

Seriously, that's what you consider manly???

I've seen some pretty manly guys get choked up or cry and believe me nobody was questioning their masculinity.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 01:01PM

Agreed. My husband can sew and is talented at making a Halloween costume from scratch. I can work on my own car. We just like to be well-rounded, capable people. We both do 'manly' and 'non-manly' things. These church 'leaders' think that being gay is a problem that can be fixed. Their way of thinking is so deluded and out of touch with reality!

Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 12:48PM

So, Elder L. Tom Perry made those statements in 2014 and he died in 2015. Guess God let us know what God thought of those comments.

Not really, I don't believe in God, but how many times have we heard bad things being labeled as God's punishment on gays?

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 01:03PM

I was taught as a child, by my tbm parents, that AIDS was placed on this earth as a punishment for gays.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 12:59PM

that my ex has no fashion sense, couldn't decorate a room if his life depended on it, and he can fix ANYTHING. He keeps cars running FAR TOO LONG. He laid the floors, he put on the metal roof. The only problem with him is that he takes his time doing things, but he can do anything and do it really, really well.

Manly things, from my experience with the bishop, is to have sex with women, be turned on by women. You see, gays just had sex with the wrong gender the first time, so if they just have sex with a woman, they'll never go back as they, themselves, can't get enough sex with women.

They haven't a clue what the hell they are talking about.

Date: August 12, 2017 01:11PM

"Manly things, from my experience with the bishop, is to have sex with women, be turned on by women."

So, by his logic, all lesbians are manly. Yep, they don't know what they are talking about.

Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 02:02PM

Um, you should meet some of the lesbians I know!

I wish people, including religious leaders, would stop worrying about gender norms. There is nothing wrong with masculine women or effeminate men.

Date: August 12, 2017 02:19PM

I agree.

These are stereotypes that need to be left in past. Sadly, statements from religious leaders that reinforce these ideas are hurting people in the present.

Date: August 15, 2017 11:14AM

The leaders don't focus as much on lesbians as they do the men. One guy I talked to told me that the leaders weren't in the least bit interested in the fact his wife and a neighbor were having a relationship.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2017 11:15AM by cl2.

Posted by: Anon for this one ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 02:21AM

"Thank God you are married now and I don't have to worry about your being a lesbian."

I was too shocked to think of anything to say, and within a moment or two, there were oodles of people swirling around to congratulate the new bride.

When I talked to her a few weeks later, asking what the @#$%^&* she had meant by that, she told me that she was always worried, because I HATED wearing dresses, loved to play sports and was good at it, often said as a kid that I wished I was a boy (not because of anything remotely sexual; it was because boys were free to do more cool things than girls.) Boys got to take woodshop classes, while girls had to take Home Ec. I was far more interested in helping my father with carpentry projects than in, say, sewing.

My mother wasn't a terribly feminine role model. Maybe that was an element here, too. She was the only one in her family to get a university education. She became an RN. She served in the military as a nurse, and was an officer. She did not care for skirts or dresses, and only wore them when required in certain circumstances. She swore like a sailor.

I suspect that she was jealous of the relationship I had with my lifelong best friend, which had begun when I was in 8th grade. My mother herself never had a friendship that deep, with anyone. BFF and I maintained our friendship until her passing, two and a half years ago. We shared 55 years.

But just imagine - being told by your own mother, just after a lovely (hetero) wedding, that she was SO relieved that you weren't a lesbian, after all. I had never even guessed that she suspected any such thing. I was never the least bit inclined to bat for the other team.

Date: August 17, 2017 12:44PM

What a horrible thing for a mother to say.

It kinda makes me wonder if maybe she had those inclinations and just repressed them her whole life.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 07:33AM

Are you talking about my 22 year old toyota going with more than 300,000 miles on it and ran like a top before it was destroyed in a crash ? *LOL*

Date: August 15, 2017 11:18AM

He keeps a few hanging around so that we have backup. We all have good running cars now and he still hangs on to a few. I'm not sure how old the oldest one is, but it is fairly old. My kids drove it in high school and they are 31 now. It was old then.

My dad taught mechanics to high school kids and he was great at keeping cars running forever. His truck he had when he died also had over 300,000 miles on it and my brother drove it a while after he died. And my dad was shocked at the things my ex did with cars to make them run longer.

The oldest one has some kind of switch that the kids had to flip when they turned off the car to turn off something else that would drain the battery. My boyfriend at first thought it was ridiculous and then after thinking about it said, "Now I know why he did that. He can't buy the part anymore."

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 01:30PM

gay men need to be taught those manly Joe Smith things.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 01:58PM

Like rasslin' and pulling sticks.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 02:17PM

Play them the song "Macho Man" by "The Village People". That will turn them.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 10:02PM

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 02:32AM

When I was 8 or 9, I really enjoyed playing outdoors. Imagination play with hot wheels, match box and Tonka trucks was a lot of fun. I also would bring my collection of action figures from Star Wars when I went over to play at other members' home. One father nearly had a cow and took the time to interrupt our Star Wars play. He openly scolded his son Gene for playing with dolls. He looked at me and said "I only hope that there's enough time to straighten you out Messy. You probably enjoy playing with ferry stuff." In 1982, I had no idea as to what he was talking about. He confiscated my toys and I went home the following day without them. I didn't understand and I thought that it was unfair that my Star Wars' stuff was left behind.

About two weeks later, mom drove me over to Gene's house. It was an unpleasant drive because she started talking about donating all my non-church possessions to DI. None of this made any sense so I asked her what had changed. She then told me that they (my parents) had become worried about playing with dolls. Somehow mom had become convinced (through the other LDS parents) that playing with little action figurines would make little boys become gay. The following and subsequent birthdays would find years of church related gifts: LDS scriptures, tie clasps and church clothing. I never received anything nice unless it could be used at church.

Posted by: story100 ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 12:02PM

Action figures = dolls . . . that's batshit crazy.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 10:47AM

A little OT, but this reminds me of a strict Catholic aunt who recommended an intervention for me to my parents when she learned that I played D&D in college. She was afraid that I thought I was being lured into witchcraft and devil worship, or even atheism. *gasp*

Well, she was partly right.

Date: August 15, 2017 11:21AM

They talked about D&D being evil. My brother played it and I worried a little bit, but not much. I felt guilty for playing solitaire with face cards. I felt I needed to "break my addiction."

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 03:49AM

Men

It's great to be on a ship with men
And sail across the sea-o
We don't know where we'll land or when
But it's great to be with men
'Cause men can sweat and men can stink
And no one seems to care-o
We'll throw the dishes in the sink
And clog the sink with hair-o

Men, men, men, it's a ship filled with men
So batten down the ladies room,
There's no one here but men
There's men above, there's men below
There's men down in the galley
there's Mitch and Dave and Jim and Bob
And one guy we call Sally

Men, men, men, it's ship all filled with men
You'll never have to lift the seat
We're men and friends until the end
And none of us are missus
At night we'll sleep in separate beds
And blow each other kisses

Men, men, men, it's a ship all filled with men
So throw your rubbers overboard

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 08:55AM

You will really have to see Hugh Laurie's rendition of "47 Ginger-Headed Sailors" (from "Jeeves and Wooster"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXr4N51RsHA

Posted by: 2 early 2 log in ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 10:30AM

What could be more manly than… a lumberjack?

I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK
I sleep all night and I work all day

I cut down trees, I eat my lunch
I go to the lavatory
On Wednesdays I go shopping and have buttered scones for tea

I cut down trees, I skip and jump
I like to press wild flowers
I put on women's clothing and hang around in bars

I cut down trees, I wear high heels
Suspendies and a bra
I wish I'd been a girlie, just like my dear mamma

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 08:51AM

This is the same bullshit I was told when I was going through "reparative therapy". The thing is, I was always good at sports so it never made sense to me. Thankfully I saw through the bullshit pretty quickly, but sadly there were many in the therapy that bought into it.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 10:19AM

Mormon men put on silly dress-up costumes with silly hats tied to their shoulders and green aprons and raise their hands in the air and chant secret cult-like chants and do the type of secret handshakes that would get you into a tree house if you were ten years old.

Mormon Men. What is more manly than that?

Dressing in drag on Halloween once a year is a lot more fun.

Date: August 15, 2017 11:22AM

Date: August 15, 2017 10:34AM

My TBM BIL, a manly prepper, prayed that his youngest son not be gay. He says that his prayers were answered a few weeks later when that same son was paralyzed from the chest down; "It wasn't how I expected God to answer my prayers, but at least my son isn't gay anymore."

Date: August 15, 2017 11:24AM

Again, I love the story that a father posted here about his son. He said he could leave the church as he had somewhere to go--to his son.

Date: August 15, 2017 11:35AM

You may have heard about the paralyzed son from me. I posted about it in greater detail back in January. My BIL said directly to his paralyzed son while he was still in the hospital, "You know why your here, right? And you know what you need to do. If you ever hope to walk again, you need to repent, and you really need to mean it."

So yeah, my BIL is pretty much cut from the same cloth of compassion as that other father.

Date: August 15, 2017 11:29AM

Wow, that's some screwed up thinking right there. Better paralyzed than gay. What makes him think he won't still be gay?

I have a BIL that is worried sick that his son (8) will be gay because he likes playing will dolls. Thankfully, SIL keeps him in check and lets their son play with what he wants. I don't understand the homophobia.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 12:17PM

I was just sick the first time you posted the story and I still have that feeling even thinking about it. So heart wrenchingly ugly. The extreme Mormon indoctrination rots you from the inside out. My heart just breaks for a kid having to go through the paralysis with a parent who treats him like that. Most mormons don't have a clue as to what love really is.

Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 12:39PM

This is the sick and disgusting

Posted by: LadyKorihor ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 12:46PM

I can't stop laughing about how poorly Mormons understand gays and their "agenda"

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 03:13PM

Jesus christ how did i know they would claim to fix anything yet again.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: August 15, 2017 03:15PM

And those church leaders are not men they are sleezy scumbags that live off of others they dont know a damn thing about being a man.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 06:38PM

A little late but my usual reply is in Russian. Bullshitski!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2017 06:38PM by desertman.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.