Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 10:28AM

I saw this article and was like what?

http://www.mamamia.com.au/shanna-kay-osborn-foundation/

Then I read it and was like yeah.

I don't know how to articulate it well. I mean a part of me just looks at the facts and wonders why adoption wasn't an option after their first death. Quadruplets? Really? I mean like wow! Didn't the first death give them a clue that maybe another baby wasn't in the cards for them?

I can't really say much since we have 3 kids but bringing each into the world was an ordeal and they were healthy babies.

But...there is just so much Mormonism in undertones for me personally here. And it is articles like this that make me see how biased I am as an exmormon. This could have happened in Ohio and I wouldn't have had the reaction I did. It is heavy as an exmormon to read things like this and not have what is between the lines for me overwhelm the thing. What I'm reading into it triggers memories of growing up in a big family with other big families and knowing that the numbers was more a virtue than the individual souls. I immediately see the Mormon version of The Duggars dripping double digit kids leaking out of this article.

Although I did like at the end that they expressed gratitude for their one child. Maybe I shouldn't be so judgmental but we wouldn't have tried for another after a death. I have family who are devout Mormons who wanted more kids than the 5 they have but stopped when their 5th was born with heart problems.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2017 02:19PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 10:48AM

Cultural Utah ?

Utah has no culture.

Date: August 12, 2017 02:22PM

I beg to differ,

I think it is changing but when I was young it was too Mormon for much missionary work, no other church sanctioned entertainments except procreative sex, and producing a large brood of Mormons was seen as a huge "blessing."

It was not cultured but there was a twisted by a single religion kind of cult....ure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2017 02:23PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 11:14AM

I had a friend who went through hell to have babies and several of them have handicaps because of it. Her first baby died because of the Rh factor that the doctor didn't detect, which was horrible. But then they were determined to have more kids.

I guess I lucked out, although I had a very high risk pregnancy and had toxemia/preeclampsia and was very ill. I got 2 in one pregnancy, 1 of each sex, and I never was able to get pregnant again (and it wasn't because he is gay). They were born early, but were very healthy and good sizes (since I'm 6 feet tall, they had plenty of room).

Edit: I was able to access it through summer's link. Wow! My heart couldn't take that. I couldn't take losing 1, but 5.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2017 01:03PM by cl2.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 11:35AM

The culture definitely plays a part in such stupid decisions.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 11:50AM

Link: http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/whats-hot/within-just-11-months-clarissa-and-jason-lost-five-baby-girls-this-is-their-story/ar-AApT2tk

Hopefully the mom takes a break from trying to get pregnant. That's a lot to go through within a short period of time.

Posted by: just sayin ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 02:26PM

There's nothing wrong with your instincts, EB.

http://www.ldsliving.com/LDS-Family-Featured-on-Random-Acts-Baby-Shower-Loses-2-Babies-in-24-Hours-Share-Their-Incredible-Faith/s/85621

I would in friendship ask you to have faith in yourself.

Date: August 13, 2017 03:37PM

Ugh!

""Each baby has touched our lives in their short life. We know that there is a plan for all of God's children."

So procreate as much as physically possible regardless of what plan your body has for you post-cancer.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 05:12PM

There is no such thing as a rational response from someone who is irrational. You can't cure stupid. It is hard to un-wash a brainwash.
This tragically happens to people who are so totally mind controlled that they cannot make personally critical decisions.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 01:59AM

On the river, we all had a crush on a handsome Mormon boy. He dated us, one at a time, and finally convinced a girl to marry him, and fulfill his life's dream--to have 12 children--to which each one of us had already said a resounding "No."

They had 10 children, and several miscarriages, but when they got to their 11th child, the babies started dying, each time. The wife was well over 40, but did not give up, and finally had a premature little girl, who barely survived, and was quite sickly. Did they stop there, and take care of the poor little thing? No--they had to have 12 children. It was the magic number. Baby number 12 had Down's syndrome. The mother said, "Now, I have a baby who will always be a baby, and never grow up."

Sick. Luckily, the father's a multimillionaire, but he's still sick.

Posted by: acerbic ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 09:18AM

Reminds me of an article about 5 years ago. Mormon couple had 4 children, all of whom had autism spectrum disorders.

Date: August 13, 2017 03:40PM

I thought the same thing but then I thought about it some more. That family may not have known what was going on because it probably has a genetic element to it whereas these people probably believed in a miracle that failed them and they went ahead and gave glory to their god for dead babies.

It is that mentality that bleeds onto the written page for me. It is my intimate experience with it in my own mother rolling the dice again after a Down's Syndrome stillbirth and her claim to have had my youngest sibling appear to her as a spirit begging my mother to conceive again.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.