Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 05:59PM

Ran across this clickbait item and to me it seems just about every point about Scientology seems to have a parallel with Mormonism. Sometimes the words are just changed, or sometime there the same like "disconnection" from apostates (recall Clayton's 2017 BYU commencement speech).

http://www.tickld.com/x/fbk/leah-remini-just-answered-all-of-the-internets-questions-about-scientology-and

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 06:19PM

Would love to see a Leah Remini-type in Mormonism to expose tscc for what it really is!

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: August 27, 2017 07:29PM

I agree i said that to my neighbor a few months ago we were both watching that scientology show at the same time and i said we needed someone like that to expose the church really badly and have come on television.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 06:41PM

I watched most of the Remini episodes. I found I could only watch one at a time--not several back-to-back on demand. To say that I was triggered would be an understatement. The parallels are so consistently strong I found my blood pressure going sky high. How could I have been so stupid to have joined Mormonism?

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 06:58PM

You said it, Boner. I had the same experience watching Ms. Remini's show. Take care, my brother. -edz

Date: August 27, 2017 07:30PM

I saw the pararalles as well and was also triggered in some of the episodes.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: September 01, 2017 02:45AM

The parallels are obvious and chilling. When I first started watching the show I would say "At least Mormonism is not THAT bad..." Now I watch the show and I can see they are pretty much the same thing. A cult is a cult. Watered down cults are still extremely cruel.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 01, 2017 02:13PM

I saw those parallels as well, so there are times when I can't finish an episode because it's triggering to me.

I do think that if some celebrity tried to expose Mormonism in the same way Leah Remini is doing with a TV series, that person would be in actual danger because there are enough Mormons who are nuts enough to think it's their sacred duty to kill apostates if necessary. Many of those nutcases seem to love owning guns almost as much as they love their cult, so they would potentially go that far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2017 02:13PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 11:05PM

http://www.npr.org/2015/11/03/454308222/a-troublemaker-leaves-her-life-in-scientology

Leah Remini and Steven Hassan are personal heroes of mine. I've met Steven, and I hope to meet Leah some day.

19th Century Mormonism had a number of individuals who "exposed" it in the same fashion as Remini has Scientology and Hassan has the Unification Church.

Some names to look for are William and Wilson Law, John Hyde, the Stenhouses, Ann Eliza Webb Young, and others...

https://archive.org/details/mormonismitslea00hydegoog

Posted by: Top Cat ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 01:21PM

Posted by: Unindoctrinated ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 04:36AM

Have no idea who the creators of this website are, but found this list Of cults in America to be pretty accurate. What do you think?

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aiia/aiia-top10cults.html

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 02:14PM

Wow!, Marysville WA; They're physically AND philosophically close!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 27, 2017 09:19PM

And they are nudists

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: August 12, 2017 07:28AM

I could not sop watching the Leah Remini Scientology episodes. They didn't trigger me. It was validating. I was smart to leave. I was nodding my head constantly seeing the correlation between the two "religions". The LDS church truly is Scientology light.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2017 07:29AM by abby.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 01:49PM

I don't think of Mormonism as Scientology light...not exactly anyway. A better comparison between the two cults would be Scientology vs the Early Mormon Church during Brigham Young's time as the prophet. When cults are new they tend to be more aggressive with their demands on their followers. Give Scientology another 100 years and it will soften just like mormonism did. I do agree with the saying that Religion = Cult + time.

Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: August 28, 2017 05:57PM

Agreed!

Date: August 18, 2017 01:43PM

From what ive seen of leah remini's show there are definitely a lot of parallels and i cant watch too much of it either or my mind goes down a dark road again. If we had a celebrity on our side doing this against mormonism shit would hit the fan real quick on a big scale millions are not ready for the delusion to end and that celebrities life would be in danger cause a wise man once said to not underestimate what the mormons will do and i definitely dont.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 01:44PM

Scientology is Mormonism on steroids.

The broken lives from both are needless. I wish long life and much success for Leah Remini.

Date: August 18, 2017 02:02PM

Wright's "Going Clear" won the Pulitzer Prize...

"Most religions don't have secrets. They're open."

"You're free to come and go."

Okay, I have no objectiity on that one, but see Church, LDS...

"According to Scientology, L. Ron Hubbard was a war hero."

Two mansions in Californnia that are kept "stocked" in anticipation of LRH's return... There's a magnificent exposé on Hubbard's "Notice of Separation" from the Navy with attached "medals" from other countries... The "official" Scientology spin on those is his record was "sheep dipped" to conceal his actual activities.

Well, I come from good sheepherding stock, and "Sheep Dip" has an entirely different meaning in their parlance.

Oh man, I need another supply of bullchip filters from Costco.

Industrial strength, of course...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2017 02:12PM by SL Cabbie.

Date: August 27, 2017 06:30PM

I'm watching another of Leah Remini's programs right now, and I was actually unaware of the extent of child sexual abuse with the Church of Scientology.

It was hardly surprising, however... If you've got issues in this area, go slow and avoid throwing things at your TV set.

Sorry, I need to make jokes or I'll scream...

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 27, 2017 09:32PM

I've learned a lot about L Ron Hubbard and his fanatical, crazy, illogical, illegal, unscientific policies and ideas that are mandatory for Scientology watching the programs. Still can't figure out how it got tax free status. They are not a church, not a charity organization.
Fortunately, some countries won't allow them to set up shop!

Thrilled to see their policies and behaviors exposed! They are illegal in many instances, but somehow churches have a lot of latitude. Hope there can be some cases brought against them and the whole craziness exposed more and more.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 07:58AM

There are parallels but I doubt Thoamas Monson has ever violently assaulted anyone in the COB . David Miscavige , based on numerous reports is a violent individual who has physically assaulted numerous people and why he has not been arrested is beyond me .

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: August 31, 2017 12:30PM

Yes, there are similarities. Here's an article I wrote on them after 'Going Clear' came out.

http://www.mormonthink.com/glossary/scientology.htm

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: September 01, 2017 03:26PM

LRon Hubbard was crashing at an OTO Lodge in California when he cooked up Scientology. All 3 'religions' seem to have seeped up from the same slime.

Posted by: Scientositis ( )
Date: September 01, 2017 11:44PM

SusieQ#1 - Scientology received tax free status because they litigated the hell out of the Government. The Government finally acquiesced because it was so costly with year-after-year of litigation.

Hopefully the Government will one day lower the boom on Scientology and remove their tax free status. Hopefully there will be enough of an outcry from former members to create the impetus.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 04, 2017 02:32PM

Scientositis

Yes! I know. They used what I call: "dirty tricks" to get that tax free status.
I keep hoping that they do something egregious enough to have it taken away. Hard to get that to happen, I know.
All of this recent exposure is going to mushroom! They are going to be held accountable, sometime, somehow!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.