Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 04:06PM

So, I've read this story a couple of times and am still sort of confused about how all this happened.

Interesting story at least

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865686581/Baby-switch-How-a-Mormon-family-dealt-with-the-fallout-of-a-decades-old-secret.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 05:08PM

Both babies, both bald, both boys. You know. And Idaho.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 05:18PM

I also was born in 1944. I was supposed to be a twin but my mother was only given one child. She was not expected to live and I was a preemie and not likely to live. Many years ago I saw someone who not only looked like me, he had the same glasses, hair, and even hand manerisms but before I could introduce myself, he went off.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 09:55PM

That is eerie!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 09:58PM

The real sad part is the hysterics on the part of the mother because she was sure she would "lose" the child she raised in the hereafter.

This shows the pain brainwashing causes.

It isn't the love that binds them together, it's the say-so of an old man who doesn't even know them.

Sad

Kathleen

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 06:02PM

What a bizarre story. It sounds like it was a deliberate switch. What a nasty thing to do to two sets of families.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 06:12PM

The article is written very scatteredly. It's hard to keep track of the sequence of events because it jumps all over the place.
But, it looks like they're all assuming that the grandma of one of the babies switched them, either accidentally or on purpose.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 06:13PM

But yes, one more weird thing about sealings: gotta get your non-bio kid sealed to you because you raised him and he's your son, except he wasn't born under your covenant and not really sealed to you after all.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 06:15PM

Yeah, that was weird, wasn't it? You are a family until you are not. Then church voodoo can make it all better. *sigh*

Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 06:45PM

how come the families did not discern the switcharoo throuhgh the power of the penishood? Was the power not working that day or that year or that lifetime

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 07:25PM

All the mormon stuff just made it stranger. It doesn't really sound like they've had much understanding for what Rod has been through.

I don't know if I've ever told anyone this before, maybe my ex. I have twins. When I had a real chance to see my babies--I had toxemia/preeclampsia and they wouldn't let me hold my babies the first day and they couldn't be in my room unless my ex or my sister were there with me. I took a look at one of them and thought "that couldn't be my baby." I was really concerned. The one baby didn't look like all my mother's babies that she had after me.

The child is OBVIOUSLY mine, but the resemblance to my family wasn't there then. Now both kids look more like my family than my ex's family. In fact, when they were toddlers, the child who I thought for sure was mine looked just like my ex's family and the one I thought wasn't mine looked just like my family. It was so obvious to EVERYONE.

I actually think this could easily happen, especially back then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2017 07:26PM by cl2.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 07:45PM

Yes, weird story and I agree, rainwriter, written in a very scattered manner. I found it interesting that one of their first concerns was 'sealing' in such a situation! Truth be told, I found that part more ridiculous, than interesting! Thanks for the link, mmyn :)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2017 07:49PM by cinda.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 10:25PM

I'm not buying any of what he says about how the Lord didn't intend for him to try to sort things out when he came home from his mission because mainly, though he didn't explicitly state it, that the grandmother who did the switcheroo was still alive and feelings would have been hurt. If what was said about the one mom not wanting a red-headed and freckled child and asking her own mom to switch the babies is true, that was absolutely criminal. Too bad if the witch's feelings were hurt. She's lucky she wasn't left to rot in jail.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.