Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AnObserver ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 03:54PM

The only reason the Church publicized Hamula's excommunication is to make sure everyone knew it wasn't for apostasy. So they made him a national piƱata of speculation to uphold the Church's image. It's despicable! It should have been handled quietly and privately.

The Church deserves the same treatment over it's own sins.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 03:57PM

Stupid cult pretends to be the moral beacon of light to the world, and then treats its members like crap. Real class.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 05:11PM

I agree. But I expect nothing better from those deplorable people.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 05:18PM

Yep.
As I pointed out in one of the other threads, their "official policy" is to not comment on these supposedly "private" matters.

Then they make a point of saying it wasn't for apostasy...
Which is a comment.

Hypocrites.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 05:35PM

Well, he was high-ranking and has held some important positions. My opinion is that the Mormon church wanted to get ahead of the story -- probably a standard PR tactic.

If I were in Hamula's shoes, I would just retire from it all. Retire from his church employment, certainly, but also from attending church, ever paying tithing again, having callings again, etc. Who wants to be a member of a club which doesn't want you? It would probably take a good ten years for him to worm his way back in. Doesn't he have better things to do? As a GA and a 1Q70, Hamula has likely already had his "calling and election made sure." Time to put up his feet and relax.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 07:12PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, he was high-ranking and has held some
> important positions. My opinion is that the Mormon
> church wanted to get ahead of the story --
> probably a standard PR tactic.

Oh, I'm sure you're right.
I'm just pointing out that they sacrificed their "official position" at the altar of PR. Because press is more important than not being hypocrites and liars.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 08:26PM

made me think immediately it must be for apostasy.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 06:45AM

Posted by: story100 ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 11:46AM

+2

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 08:52PM

I suspect the church has followed the couple of high profile news stories involving the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church put priests who had been (allegedly) accused of child molestation in positons at the Vatican which really, really looks bad like they were trying to protect them.

If, (big if) this Hamula guy did something along those lines, I'm sure the Mormons do NOT want to look like they were pulling the same crap the Catholics did by harboring and trying to handle it internally. I think the church would want to make a big deal about how they aren't doing what is costing Catholics so much credibility right now.

That said, if there had been accusers, there probably would have been more visibility to what his "big sin" could be. No one seems to be coming forward so that makes me think it could be adultery or mishandling church funds.

The really funny thing about all this (if there is anything funny) is that by not coming out and explaining, they are making it worse. It could be that Hamula could sue them back or something.

Like cricket said in another thread, this is like an episode of Game of Drones. (Hilarious, cricket!)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 09:04PM

Game of drones...ha ha ha...cricket has a good sense of humor.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 11:13AM

Was Hamula listed as a GA?

I've lost track of such nonsense!

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 10:12PM

Posted by: Anon 2 ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 04:56PM

If you give everything you have to the church and 20 years later you are excommunicated, do they keep everything that you have accrued, make you pay back loans? I wonder how that is arranged.

Posted by: jojo ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 09:39PM

Even if they did not specify that in was not apostasy, there would have still been wild speculation about what he did, just one more thing to add to the list.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 10:18PM

summer:"SHAME on the Church over Hamula!"

I agree. The church acts like a bully to those they try to shame.

The good side of this tale: Hamula is well rid of them, and (if he doesn't already feel this way), the time will come when he will recognize this event as having been a blessing, a severance that will pay positive dividends in the future.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 10:56PM

Just another reason to WAIT UNTIL (near) THE END OF YOUR LIFE to offer tithes (to see if you've "increased", decreased, or stayed the same). So that if/ when you are xxxed/(learn the truth), you can say FFF uck you MC (mormoni church).

They have publicly shamed him. It's time for him to do (LDSinc) the same.

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.