Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Atheist/Cultural Mormon ( )
Date: August 10, 2017 01:23PM

I was seeking something and wondered what comfort or perspective the LDS general authorities could provide regarding the situation. I wasn't expecting earth shaking answers or solutions.

A few hymns by the Tabernacle Choir a few touchy feely words by Gordon B. Hinckley and it was over. I felt a little bad and sorry for the church, how glaring it was that they too had no real answer, how it mostly amounted to a shallow 20 minute kumbaya session.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 11, 2017 01:32AM

I noticed the same thing. It was vacuous.

Catholics have the Vatican. Mormons have the vacuous.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 03:29AM

As I recall, it was during the same workweek as 9/11. Churches were to have remembrance services, and employers were to allow as many people as wanted to attend, go.

Where I worked, there were LOTS of Catholics, but lots of them were allowed to leave, but they were to come back when the service was over.

I knew of only two other Mormons besides me in the workplace, so we three went together. I was appalled at GBH's tepid ramblings. We had been profoundly wounded as a nation. Didn't our spiritual leaders have more of an obligation than THAT? I didn't say that to either of the other Mormons, but I found myself wishing that I had gone to some other denomination. There was NO solace or comfort in Mormonism on that horrible day.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 10:57AM

Same thing about the wars the U.S. has been involved in.

It's almost like those guys aren't inspired to say anything significant or definitive...

Oops, did I say that?

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 01:19PM

That was a big blow to me i remember not only did 15 so called prophets not predict it but what they did after made them look like just a bunch of ordinary old men still trying to control my grandparents generation with songs.

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 01:31PM

I gave GBH points for warning members not to blame Islam or think of Muslims as terrorists.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 01:37PM

Remember that all divine warnings come from visions of grandeur in their stupid temple.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.