Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: August 09, 2017 09:17AM

This thing with Humula has exposed just a bit of hypocrisy on our part. I have read so many times on this board that Mormons falsely assume the reasons why we are no longer members of their cult. We ridicule their feeble efforts laughing at the idea that we are sinners or have thin skins. Yet we are doing the same thing with Humula, assuming he sinned, stole, or is otherwise a bad person.

Just my two cents, but if LDS inc doesn't want you it is a good sign about your character not a bad sign.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: August 09, 2017 09:28AM

Not all of us are doing what you claim.

At least one of us is waiting for more information.

It is clear that something happened, what that is, I do not know.

Date: August 09, 2017 09:41AM

All in good fun of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hR5YNqE3K8

I'm not real sure it is that big of a deal since this man potentially doesn't care what this board might conjure up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluralistic_ignorance

However, in the extreme, this type of attitude has caused real damage in the world.

Of course, it probably speaks ill of my character that I have besmirched us when I should have only besmirched them. Don't you think?

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: August 09, 2017 09:37AM

Maybe I'm weird, but I feel kind of bad for him and his family. Apparently, he's been pretty much been doing church stuff full time for years, and the way this has been so publicly has to be humiliating. To go from respected leader to pariah in a day cannot be pleasant.

I've always thought that church discipline intentionally involved shame and loss of social standing, in the misguided belief that it would motivate people to come back. As recently as when I was in college, they would announce excommunications or disfellowshipping in priesthood meeting. A young woman I knew was excommunicated from our freshman ward, and the bishop announced it and the general reasons why in priesthood. Even as a TBM, I thought that was awful.

Unless he did something truly evil, this very public throwing of him under the bus just sucks. But then that's what the church does.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 09, 2017 09:42AM

You make a good point, jacob.
So many posts about how he must have "sinned."

That should sound familiar to people here who got similar things from mormons...

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 09, 2017 09:51AM

Uh, yeah. This is one of several threads lately where speculation has run wild.

I don't like speculation much on people's personal lives unless it has a direct effect on me and becomes a puzzle to solve. When people put their agenda out in the public eye, then yes, I like to have a go at it. However, even when you have some facts, you have to keep in mind you may not have all the facts.

One of my favorite phrases is "I don't know." Boring, but classy.

The Mormon church has maintained privacy with the issue. The story is Hamula's to tell, or not. I actually don't care much. My family will still be kissing Monson's ass no matter what. And Oak's. And Bednar's. And . . .

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 09, 2017 09:59AM

While we're thinking about our own possible hypocrisy, let's not forget the church's...

I mean, their official policy is that they won't comment on church court o' love actions, as they're private matters.
Other than to insist, of course, that it wasn't apostasy.
Which is a comment...

Date: August 09, 2017 10:03AM

Yep.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.