Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 09:59AM

I want serious thoughts on this as on another board it was treated foolishly but i think the point is legitimate.

We know that TSCC has caused a heck of a lot of harm to people. People find out the facts and going through trauma realising they've wasted half their lives, spouses divorcing when one is a TBM the other not, children being separated from the unbelieving parent, even jobs and other family relationships at risk.

We see suicides over sexuality, the pain caused by realisations that the lies have literally led to years of guilt and self torment.

So i want to ask, what is the risk that like the 'going postal' thing where a disgruntled worker goes on the rampage against the group or individual they see as the cause happens with TSCC?

I'll be frank and say, reading some of the threads over the years and how much some have suffered and statistically how many people it has happened to, i'm surprised we've not seen something like this so far?

For example, an excommunication gone wrong, or any variation on that sort of theme where TSCC is exerting power over someone who says 'i've had enough'?

Then by contrast, apologists, who actively demean people going through trauma, denying the facts?

Is there a point where if you were sensible, even if you were a TBM you might think that with so many damaged ex members, it might be wise not to push issues too hard as who knows where the next crazy incident will spring from?

Interested in your thoughts on this - whether it has happened and been badged as something else, or whether it is statistically unlikely?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 10:22AM

I've wondered this about the public at large. Why is it almost unheard of for prosecutors and judges to be offed by the criminals they put away? I think the answer is that all people are basically good. The good guy bad guy narrative is just a human resource tool for the prison industrial complex to replace the slave ship and the auction block.

Exmos know that Mormons thrive on persecution. They can't be hurt by violence, only by truth. Nobody wants to repeat the mistakes of Carthage.

To quote Mrs Griswold in "Vacation", "We're not really violent people".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2017 10:25AM by bradley.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 10:22AM

The top of the church will always be protected by a shield of bodyguards. The rest of the rank and file are expendable in their minds. In my morg experience, I observed a lot of "unrighteous dominion. Some men (and women too) pushed a lot of others around. I don't think many of them gave much thought that some of the members might become violent over church matters. There were a lot of unwarranted aggression among missionaries when I served in the 90s and I also was physically attacked on occasions. Some great reward.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 10:24AM

Oh, I'm sure it's possible.
I just don't think it's all that likely. Why?

Those who come to recognize the cult for what it is are often the more reasonable and rational in the bunch. They see that the emperor has no clothes, they aren't the ones who play along with the delusion and fantasy. It's the ones who stay, letting harm heap upon harm, that fit that mold. And it's far more destructive to shelve the cognitive dissonance and buy into the nonsense than it is to leave it.

That, IMHO, is why the biggest "atrocities" in mormonism don't come from the ones who figure out it's a scam and leave, they come from those who double-down on the delusion and "faith" and stay. Mountain Meadows -- the result of complete "faith" and obedience and delusion. Bishops castrating teen boys who might take a girl you want as your polygamous next conquest? The result of complete "faith" and obedience and delusion.

I consider it far less likely for some kind of "gone nuts" scenario to come from those who leave, and far more likely to come from those who stay. They relish the pain and harm that obedience to stupidity brings -- they consider if proof of their "faith." Those of who leave speak out, criticize, and mock...but we had enough of the harm, for the most part, and want no more part of it.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 11:45AM

They regularly lie about exmos. They harass them and shun them. They egg their houses and cars.

It wasn't exmos who committed the murders, rapes, kidnappings, and thefts at MMM.

Exmos have the freedom to ignore mormonism or turn their backs on anything mormon. They don't have to suffer the frustration of obeying stupid directives from "leaders" who have less sense than cabbages. Exmos can live their lives fully an enjoy what mormons can't. Plus in the summer they don't have to wear an extra layer of stiffling ugly underwear and they have the time and disposable income to have fun or to smooth out their daily lives.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 12:00PM

A few years ago in Northern CA a man walked in and shot the bishop to death because he believed the bishop had interfered in his marriage.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 12:19PM

Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 12:07PM

I imagine that some of the murders in Utah are related to anger over TSCC, just not reported as such.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 12:48PM

It seems more common to have zealots who are devoted to the church go off the deep end, like Richard Worthington who held the staff of Alta View hospital hostage in '92, eventually killing a nurse, because they had performed a tubal ligation on his wife. Or Rebecca David who threw her 7 kids off the balcony of a hotel before jumping herself because her husband thought he was God and had been asking the LDS church to pay tithes to him. Or Brian David "Emmanuel" Mitchell who thought he needed a polygamous wife so kidnapped Elizabeth Smart. Just sayin'

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.