Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Julie It's me!!!!!!! ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 01:29AM

Say, I have always wondered if a Company my Aunt talked me into joining that would make me well off in my later years. It was a long time ago, maybe 35 years ( at least) I knew nothing about spotting a Mormon Multi Level Marketing Company and now that I'm MUCH older I am certain she talked us both into joining this. It was too save us from the coming ( still coming) disaster. I had to invest $50 which was more like $400 back then and my Aunt said I could retire after getting a few friends too buy a supply of this food that would last almost forever and I could spend my declining years happily visiting my "Downline" Well, she passed years ago and Yurika was not that bad , but very expensive. I have thought for years it must be a MLM CO. that was mormon , but I do no better than to say so if I'm wrong.Would appreciate any information.
Thank you,
Julie

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 01:37AM

If you Google "Yurika Foods," there are a number of returns (not all of which, I don't think, are about the company you are inquiring about).

There are court documents of a court case, in 1989, where the court (on appeal) reverses a prior court action which was in favor of Yurika Foods, and if you read the court documents, they provide a great deal of information about the company and what happened to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2017 01:38AM by Tevai.

Posted by: Macathymac ( )
Date: November 26, 2018 10:19PM

Yurika Foods’ headquarters was located in Michigan. It was started by five individuals; one man and two married couples. I started to work at the headquarters shortly after they opened and was let go when they filed bankruptcy. One of the married couples had become silent partners (they were not Mormon). The man, who was married and had a family and the married couple were Mormon. The Mormon couple ended their marriage prior to the bankruptcy.
It was a multi-level marketing company, but was not affiliated with the Mormon church.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 26, 2018 10:36PM

it's a scam.

Those things never work out well except for the founders and two or 3 levels below them (usually friends and relatives of the founder).

Everyone else is a mark and a sucker.

The sales pitch makes it sound like you spend a few hours signing people up to your "downline" and making calls to your downline people to make sure that they're getting downline people and that they're downline people are part of your complete downline network. Then you're supposedly going to be able to spending the rest of your immense free time pursuing your dreams with all the money that's just constantly flowing in from your downline. Easy money. That's what they want you to believe.

I had friends and relatives make pitches to me for a couple of these types of MLM schemes. I researched them. With a few exceptions, nobody was really making any serious money, except for the top few levels. Occasionally, I would find some lower level people who were making substantial income.... But in those exceptional cases it always turned out that: (1) the person doing it was treating it like a full-time job and putting in 50~60 hour work weeks selling, pitching, managing their downline, etc. (negating the sales pitch about the company being an opportunity to earn big money with minimal time investment); and (2) the person doing it was your typical glad-handing, glib, gregarious, insincere salesman type who was always working their sales angles (IOW, your basic sociopath who was incapable of any kind of genuine friendship).

It also always turned out that the products that supposedly were the reason for the company's existence turned out to be nothing more than stage props for building the pyramid. Nobody was making money selling the products (meaning that the products were not of a quality or pricing structure that would make them profitable to sell). Everybody's focus was on expanding their downlines.

So...I always ended up telling my MLM-ensconced friends and relatives to count me out. I wasn't interested.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 27, 2018 09:22AM

My dad got sucked into the Sunrider scam. Luckily he didn't invest heavily in it.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 12:28AM

I did a temp-job one day in Prove, Utah, at Sunrider.

Part of the day I stuck stickers on lids, and/ or screwed on lids; and the other part of the afternoon placed me in a room- opening boxes marked from France, erasing the black ink from the clear labels on EACH box of soap (though you could still see the imprint of what it had said: "France"), closing the box and writing "U.S.A." on the outside of the box.

Sunofabeach

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.