Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 06:29PM

I guess there ARE quite a few folks who will still patronize this store even if it went against its longstanding practice of closing on Sunday.

Now, it could be a fluke since this particular store (in Murray) took over the Fresh Market that was there for several years and it could have been more of a curiosity factor than anything.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 07:12PM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 08:00PM

I remember when supermarkets first started opening on Sundays...and the churches railed against it (including the Mormons) and then you see TBM's in their church duds shopping on Sunday after church and if they saw you looking at them, they had a "o shit, the bishop knows I spank it" look on their face!! Hilarious!

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 09:08PM

Can't Make this Stuff Up Department

The one I remember was "The Common Day of Rest Act" that allowed for either Saturyday or Sunday closing (in order to avoid charges of "religious discrimination"; that was a big issue back then after school prayers were prohibited).

A judge declared that one unconstitutional and promptly dropped dead the next day.

I remember because having a job on Sunday was a big deal for me since I was in school...

Another judge, however, took his life in his hands and signed off on the late judge's decisions.

Mormons are still telling faith-promoting stories about that one...

Anyway, so where's the new Macey's in Murray? I'm close to Fashion Place, but I'd be interested anyway... Which Fresh Market was closed? Okay, I get it... There's Macy's and Macey's... /senior moment over

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2017 09:12PM by SL Cabbie.

Date: August 06, 2017 10:16PM

The Fresh Market on 5600 S. 900 E. is the one that just got changed and renovated over to a Macey's. The big reveal was on Friday, though it was an open secret. One of the checkers told me it was happening months ago. Funny thing is, she also told me that none of them were losing their jobs. However, today, not ONE of the employees looked familiar.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 09:17PM

I was on a Target run today, and ended up not buying anything, which rarely happens.

As I was walking towards the front of the store to drop off the cart, I saw a woman just coming in the door. She appeared to be alone, wearing old-gal pants and top.

Just as I got close, I saw her reach up and remove one of the black missionary badges and stick it in her purse. No sign of Mr. Missionary; I thought "more power to you".

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 10:24PM

M A C Y

now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Date: August 07, 2017 09:39AM

Actually, the grocery store is spelled M A C E Y. The department store is the other spelling.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 07:15AM

Some people on FB are NOT...happy about this..

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2003539,2003539#msg-2003539

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 11:25PM

I always liked the 13th East store when it was open 24 hours (even if closed on Sundays), and this one is a lot bigger and nicer and doesn't seem to "cater to the LDS crowd" as much. At least I didn't see all the dried foods, big packages, etc., but I wasn't really paying attention.

I remember back when I first lived by the 8200 South store; Boyd K. Packer was alive and apparently lived in the neighborhood.

I came in one Monday night, about 8:00 or so, and the place was mobbed... I walked out without buying anything and came back after midnight.

It turns out Packer had "said something" in the local wardhouse (stake center?) about "something's gonna happen" (Second Coming?), and everybody was stockpiling...

I can't make this stuff up, honest...

What did I like? I had a choice "not to use" the f@ยข#ing self-self cash registers... There was a nice lady who rang me up, and I brought up the "Sunday Issue." She just said she was glad to have a job...

If it would go back to 24 hours, I'd be in love... Incidentally, Macey's, Dan's, Fresh Market, Harmon's, and Reams all operate under a larger corporate umbrella. I can say, though, that Macey's appears to be really hard on its employees; I've observed a really high turnover rate.

SLC
Former journeyman grocery checker with an outfit no longer in SLC

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.