Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon17 ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 05:42PM

"MLMs sell themselves using self-empowerment language and sparkly beauty products. They’re #girlboss mythology repacked for Christians and Mormons; entrepreneurialism for women brought up believing men should be the breadwinners; and a peppy dream for millennials who were told they could do anything."

"MLMs disproportionately flourish in suburban and rural America: According to LuLaRoe’s retailer map, it only has 10 consultants in all of Manhattan, which has a population of 1.64 million. By comparison, Pueblo (Colorado) has the same amount for its population of 110,000, St. George (Utah) has 12 sellers to its 82,000 residents, and Idaho Falls (Idaho) and Casper (Wyoming) both have nine sellers servicing each’s 60,000 citizens. In 2016, the US Census Bureau stated that the median rural household income is 4% lower than it is for urban families, and income inequality is also higher. Job growth in metropolitan areas has far outpaced that in rural areas since 2008, and the job market in these regions has shrunk 4.26% in the same time."

https://qz.com/1039331/mlms-like-avon-and-lularoe-are-sending-people-into-debt-and-psychological-crisis/

I don't work for a MLM. However my workplace is starting to feel like one. Any thoughts on the above quotations?

[Admin edit to fix Subject heading]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2017 11:15AM by Eric K.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 06:27PM

I know a number of teachers that are involved with MLMs, probably for the same reasons as Mormons -- not enough income to support a family (although in the case of TBMs, tithing has to carry a lot of the blame.) Two of my teacher colleagues sell LuLaRoe.

Women living in Manhattan have lots of clothing options. Beyond the regular stores, 7th Avenue designers regularly have showroom sales, and consignment stores carry couture clothing that may have been worn just a few times. LuLaRoe is reportedly comfortable, but IMO not all that chic.

Posted by: wokie ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 09:04PM

When I was a church member other members regularly tried to get me to join their various mlm's. Funnily enough most never seemed to stay very long with it

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 11:11AM

Here is an old post of mine how groups like Mormons and JWs are active in Multilevel Marketing.

This is common among the JW's as well

A few years ago I looked up who gets recruited in MLM schemes and Jehovah's Witnesses came up quite often. I believe JWs view their fellow members as not much more than contacts that can be exploited, as do many Mormons. Those contacts are for business connections primarily. Their friendships in a local Kingdom Hall are as shallow as Mormon friendships in a local ward.

Here is a quick Google search result:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/scandals/169931/1/JWs-and-Multi-level-marketing

Some snippets:

"Yep, all MLMs have a number of witnesses involved. I've even gotten suckered into an MLM before by someone at neighboring congo. Witnesses tend to recruit each other. I know a few Witnesses that make $$$ from MLM programs and about 70% of their downline are witnesses. You be amazed to find out that how many Witnesses are featured in promotional videos for various MLM programs.

In their mind its all about making money but still having time to pioneer."

-----

"I tasted the Noni juice, it tasted weird but I liked it, kind of lumpy and purple. Never purchase the stuff to expensive. My dad lost thousands of dollars with all kinds of multi level marketing scams. I know a lot of Jaydubs who also get scammed by these things. I think it as to do with their habit of believing extraordinary claims"

----

Also, all the witness I know have joined the Mormons in selling a product called Tahitian Noni juice. That’s right, the Witness’s and the Mormon’s. WOW. Together in multilevel (pyramid) marketing of a "miracle cure-all". I remember a time when the witnesses took great pride in stating how "non-worldly" they were. Can it get anymore worldly than doing multilevel marketing with maybe the nations most capitalistic/worldly/conservative/pro America religious organization, the Mormons! I remember when a Witness’s despise of the Mormon’s could only be compared to their despise of the Catholic’s. I have seen my wife laugh Mormon’s off our property when they showed up at our door during their service endeavors. Now they all get together in Orem, Utah at Morinda world headquarters for sales convention’s, etc. I would love to see one of those convention’s. I wonder if the Mormon’s start the convention with a Pledge of Allegiance or by playing the National Anthem just to drive the Witness’s crazy. A couple Mormon’s own the corporation, therefore, the Witness’s are working for them. Helping them finance the Mormon religion."

Posted by: Chica ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 12:10PM

I live in a suburb of a major US city. There are some Mormons here, but they are pretty sparse.

There are many ladies around here doing MLMs: Lularoe, Rodan Fields, doTerra & other essential oil companies, lip sense, candle companies, etc. I can't even list them all. Most of these ladies aren't LDS, but most are stay-at-home moms. I think they want to supplement their husband's income, but avoid expensive daycare for the littles.

I don't know how many are successful. Some seem to be, most of them not so much. MLMs seem to attract younger moms with young children, at least around here. I can understand why so many Mormon moms would be interested. They want to stay home with their kids and they have a built-in network of potential customers and downline people.

I can't imagine that many of them are making much money. Many of them are probably losing money, hoping for that big break they read about when the money starts rolling in.

Posted by: yeppers ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 01:02PM

You can't run ANY business part time and make a lot of money... MLM or otherwise.

Those that make it big in MLM are those who treat it like a REAL business.

That is:

They register for a LLC or C corp

Get an office with a real phone number

Advertise products & services (NOT cold contacting/calling and bugging people at the mall, Walmart, & gas stations)

Have a business account

Unfortunately, most people in MLMs don't do this. They join, and then begin approaching strangers on the street and try to "sell" them on how they can become millionaires with a $20 investment and only 5 hours a week.

This is why MLMs have a bad reputation.

A business is a business. Either you have a REAL one, or you don't.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.