Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ElevatedtotheMax ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 09:25AM

Ran across this bizarre problem with the Elders where they had to stand out on a ward member's porch in 100 degree weather because there was only a mom and her two twenty-something daughters in the house and no man yet (husband was working).

Is this the same rule for the sisters? Does there have to be a woman present for them to enter the house or come over for a meal?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 01:02PM

Yes. Not just houses but car rides too.

Can't trust two grown women to ride in a car with a male.

I used to feed the sister missionaries on the veranda because they could not enter my house. Then I had to wait outside my own house as they did the dishes and washed up.

I couldn't give them a ride home in a thunderstorm.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 03:11PM

When I was "investigating," as a single/divorced mother, there was never any apparent concern about my intending to ravish the fresh young bodies of the 19 and 20-year-old mishies assigned to teach me.

In fact, I can remember joking that their combined ages added up to precisely my age at the time, 39.

Probably because their MP was a total pr!ck, I was able to get away with becoming a sort of foster-mom to both the elders and the sister-mishies in the area. We would pool our money to buy pizzas and sodas, rented, G and PG-rated videos, and they knew I would never snitch if they stayed up past their official bedtimes.

Yes, we turned our collective noses up at some of the sillier rules (like, we all went on a first-name basis in my house; none of that "elder" or "sister" nonsense.) And all of us enjoyed it.

I like to think that after all these years, they can look back on the time we spent together, and remember that they found a friend, not a convert.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 11:08AM

Cults have dumb rules.

Posted by: Ladybug notloggedin ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 12:01PM

My mom and her relief society sister meet for lunch once a week. Just recently learned that a male priesthood member also goes to these lunches! Now he is bring another male so he won't be only one. LOL So much for a sisterly lunch. GUess can't trust them...

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 09:52AM

Or they want to avoid the appearance of polygamy. I think they should check their calendars to find out which century they're living in. I suppose these things can get confusing when you're over 80.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 02:55PM

Well, if they would just come in, there would be a woman - two - in the house... if I would let them. And that would only be if the let loose.

The passers-by, voyeuristic strangers, and nosy neighbors might think I'm into polygamy. I might be, or it could be three-somes, or lesbians, or church-matters or feeding starving students or wild and invigorating entertaining with wine and please cheese, figs and grapes, fire light and homemade music, or none or all of the above.

Wouldn't want my image tarnished. People to think things that weren't, couldn't be true and/ or will never be true.

Poor ignorant sheltered misses.
Party on.lol

M@t

Posted by: Swiss Miss ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 01:55AM

When did the rule start? I was a sister missionary in Switzerland back in the 80s and there were no rules about sisters teaching men without a woman present. Most of our investigators were single men.

I only had one bad experience teaching a man whose door we knocked on late one night. He turned out to be a pervert but we were able to escape. Other than that, no man ever bothered us. One said he'd get baptized if I'd marry him, but I wasn't that desperate for a baptism.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 07:14AM

The rule was in full effect when I served in the early 90s. We elders had a knack of finding single women and the sisters had a similar knack of finding single young men. We were supposed to contact the DL or ZL, but that didn't happen too much. A lot of us became wary of the ZL "poaching" the contacts instead of turning them over to the sisters. Towards the end of my mission, the MP started cracking down on this practice and I started to write the first initial of everyone that was in our contact binder. It royally pissed off the MP and I would further add gasoline to the fire by calling them "dudes".

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 09:28AM

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 01:02PM

I have a simple solution for the MormonCult.....have the mishie age be older AS IT SHOULD BE (in my humble opinion) when people are adults, have learned about the world and, hopefully, other religions, and know that they have a desire to be a missionary.

What a novel idea. One based on truth and honesty.

Oh, wait a minute......those are 2 things the MormonCult rejects outright!

Instead, the whole MormonCultMissionaryProgram for Youth is based on exploitation and cramming the concept of serving a mission at a teenage age as just what Gawd wants all youth, especially the males, to do right at the age that a loving Gawd and Cult would want the youth to be out discovering who they are and what the world is all about.

But, the MormonCult only exists to serve the elite who profit as profits, seers and (cough) revelators and humble (cough) servants of Gawd who want only the best for.....wait....who for???

themselves and certainly NOT any of the peons they supposedly serve.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2017 01:11PM by presleynfactsrock.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.