Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 03:33PM

BC in Illinois writes ....
===================================

"Many people have only listened to one side of the eclipse debate—the pro-eclipse establishment. They will tell you, as if it’s a proven fact, that there will be an eclipse of the sun on August 21.

But have they given the other side a fair hearing?

They prefer the term “eclipse skeptics,” rather than “eclipse deniers.” They simply haven’t been convinced by the so-called “experts,” whose careers depend on repeating the politically correct line that there is “100% certainty” about a coming eclipse.

The fact is, there actually isn’t a “consensus,” as some claim, that the moon will over-shadow the sun, and it is total arrogance to claim that this “eclipse of the sun” . . . . (as they’re calling it now — I can remember a time when they were talking about the eclipse of the MOON, the shadow of the earth supposedly blocking out the light of the moon — Why isn’t anyone talking about THAT anymore?) . . . anyway it’s arrogance to claim that fallible scientists on earth can accurately tell you, with certainty, where the moon will be later in August. Scientists have been wrong before. We need more study. And who’s funding these so-called experts?

When it comes down to it, there’s nothing we can do about the eclipse anyway.

(It’s all a perfectly natural phenomenon, by the way. It’s happened before. You just beat on the drums and it goes away.)"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 03:48PM

According to the pro-eclipse camp, the eclipse will only happen in a relatively small portion of the earth.

Any eclipse skeptics not in that particular area will have their skepticism confirmed.

Posted by: Gone girl ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 04:05PM

My husband needs to travel to Oregon in a about ten days. He couldn't find a rental car anywhere. I thought that sounded just bizarre. He called some of the rental companies and they confirmed there was zero car availability. Hotels are sold out too. Why? The eclipse!! People from everywhere are flocking to the areas where they can witness this event. We had no idea this was such a big deal, but apparently it is! He had to reschedule the week he is traveling.

Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 04:22PM

It is my understanding that hotel rooms cost at least 10 times more than their normal rate. $45 Motel 6 rooms were going for $500 and sold out many months ago.

I live in Salt Lake, so I plan on driving up to the area of total eclipse in the very early morning, about a 3 hour drive.

I also plan on bringing all my own food. They are expecting at least 600,000 people in Idaho Falls. I do not even want to think of using any services there.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 05:17PM

You could drop me a line, SL_Cabbie@yahoo.com

I was hoping to combine a fishing trip, but time is tight--and expenses--which I'd be willing to share, of course--are a bit tight...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2017 05:18PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 06:30PM

I have realtives in Idaho Falls. They posted some information from the Idaho Falls authorities concerning the influx of people coming there for the viewing of the eclipse. They have warned folks that I-15 might be turned to all northbound on that day (both sides of the freeway). There is a good possibility that cell phones will not work and that even the power could go out due to overwhelming demand. They encourage people to bring extra gasoline in a gas can if they might be short on fuel as the gas stations will certainly run out. they have even suggested that people may not be able to get out of the area until Wednesday. This sounds like it could be quite an overwhelming experience of logistics. Rooms at Motel 6 were going for $900/night and one gal out in the boonies of the county is charging $1500/couple for people who want to camp out on her farm!

In other words, just taking a little drive up the freeway a few hours before the eclipse likely will not be possible.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 02:49PM

I wonder what percentage of the people lining up along the zone of totality are fringy types who believe the eclipse has mystical meaning.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 04:51PM

First email, then ebay, and now an eclipse? Where will it end?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2017 07:13PM by donbagley.

Date: August 05, 2017 05:19PM

We might have to sacrifice a few virgins.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 10:36PM

I made sure to get them when I got my new glasses so I know they are good and safe. We are dead center for it and plan on just staying home that day. Traffic is predicted to be horrific. Larger towns are worried about the increase in trash and drain on other community services. There are quite a few different kinds of tours being offered. Everyone should be able to find something to fit them - IF they can afford it.

Posted by: Grits ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 09:36AM

Hopefully we can have a return and report on the eclipse on Tuesday, the 22nd. I am driving just 60 miles to the center of totality. Reports are the interstates will be at a standstill, no food in grocery stores, etc. Saw the news story about the spots on the farm for 1500 for the weekend. No one knows what they are planning for. Cities and towns are planning big festivals, some going the whole weekend plus that Monday. It will either be bust or chaos and we really wont know until the 21st. I just hope we have sunshine so we can actually see it.

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 10:21AM

During a recent business trip to Jackson Hole, an associate brought up the following question. What if it rains or it's cloudy? He envisions a bunch of drunk, pissed off people running around town.

It will be interesting to see if small towns like Idaho Falls and West Yellowstone will be able to cope with the crowds.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 10:36AM

NASA tv will carry a live telescopic view.
I think Discovery channel is doing the same.
Both from a location of totality.

But, yeah...I'd be pissed if I planned for years, spent way too much on travel and hotels, then got clouded out. Oh, well.

That almost happened to me for the 2004 transit of Venus. It wasn't visible from the US, so I went to the UK (where the entire transit was visible), bringing along my telescope/camera gear, and stayed with a friend in Reading. The night before it rained, the early morning of the transit it was densely cloudy. I thought we were going to get skunked. Then shortly before sunrise the clouds began to break up, and the sun rose right through a break -- with the transit starting shortly after sunrise. Other than a few passing clouds that briefly obscured things, I got to photograph the entire transit. Great fun :)

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 12:12AM

There will be no good place to be in the path of totality, unless you just happen to live there. If you're on a highway, it'll be like five o'clock rush hour in LA, even if you're in the middle of nowhere. It'll be worse in any city or small town. I plan to watch it on TV.

I read that if you're a ham radio operator and you live in or near the path of totality, you might be able to work the 160 meter band in mid day for a few minutes during the eclipse. Typically atmospheric skip on 160m only happens at night.

Date: August 08, 2017 12:25AM

Woe unto you if you are an apartment dweller. Where are you going to put an antenna that long ?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.