Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 04, 2017 02:52PM

This isn't a discussion about imaginary power and the so-called keys of the priesthood. No, this is about real power and tangible items like the actual copy of a key to church property; yes the chapel building. In case you didn't know, the church has strict guidelines about how many copies of a building key exist. So this is my story about the fight over keys.

As a RM, a new bishop called me to serve as the membership clerk. It was explained that I would occasionally need to "run" to the church to access membership files and transmit membership data to SLC (In 1994, the modem of the SLC membership department to process membership file updates was always turned off on Sundays. I was told by the SP that this was to discourage the clerks from "goofing off" in their offices instead of being indoctrinated in their GD and PH classes.) So I asked the BP about getting a key to the building and he agreed that I needed one. He told me to see Brother Stingy as he was serving as the Building & Facilities supervisor. He also was a member of my ward.

Well Brother Stingy laughed and laughed then laughed some more when I told him that my calling required a church key. "No no no. Messy you don't understand that the church doesn't hand out keys to everyone that wants one. Go back to the BP and ask him to get one. Or you could go see Brother Grin. He was a clerk just before you."

So I went to seek Brother Grin and explained that I needed his church building key. He began to laugh and chuckle. "I'm not giving up my key. I need access to the building from time to time." The prick wouldn't give up his key.

So I went 4 months without a key. Every time that I needed to do some clerk work, I had to call up the BP to borrow his key. I think he got tired of meeting me at such and such road to hand off his key. Keep in mind that this was before cell phones so you can imagine the sheer inconvenience and the waste of time.

It is a BIG deal in bragging rights (like church callings) who is entrusted with keys to access the church.

Back story: There was an on-going feud between the "moderate" BP who wanted to govern by his laid back approach to the "spirit-of-the-law" and the hostile Brother Grin who deeply resented getting promote to the High Council. Grin was the classic passive-aggressive. There was also friction and butting of egos between the BP and Brother Stingy who was overseeing facilities of the stake and in the HP group. Stingy was narcissistic and bitter from the church holding court on 3 of his immoral daughters. Now ward council meetings were highly explosive. Brother Stingy and Sister Grin (serving in the RS presidency) would openly criticize the ward (Bishop) for not addressing moral issues in the ward. Insert two hours of idle gossip and speculation about less actives and youth. One day the BP had enough of their contempt and he dismissed them from the ward council.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2017 11:06PM by messygoop.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 04, 2017 03:16PM

Did you try prayer? I hear Jesus helps people find keys all the time.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 04, 2017 08:31PM

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: August 04, 2017 06:20PM

Just tell them you get a key or you quit. I'm pretty sure it's a voluntary position.

Posted by: Well Endowed ( )
Date: August 04, 2017 10:40PM

danr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just tell them you get a key or you quit. I'm
> pretty sure it's a voluntary position.

Exactly

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 04, 2017 07:48PM

I HAD THE KEYS! Yes, my last calling was the building. Of course, I did things a bit differently. I asked for volunteers to do the work in the chapel. I got chewed out by the bish. The next time I made a list including EVERY member of the bishopric, the HP group leaders, the EQ presidency, the members of the stake council, the SS presidency, and a member of the SP in the ward and their wives and children. Before the following time - because we had three wards in the building, I was tried for apostacy, convicted wrongly, and disfellowshiped and was then asked to return the KEYS. I had a vision (being truly worthy) of being asked for them and I joyfully turned them over with the statement: "I have much greater keys than THESE." Though I won my appeal they tried to try me again and I resigned. That is my story of church keys.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 04, 2017 09:40PM

As a youth, my friends parents were always in church leadership. They all hung their keys (with the church keys on a second ring) somewhere where we were allowed to get to them. So we always had access to them. Some of them were master keys in a tiered system designed to only let certain people in to certain doors. We used to play basketball at the church gym late in to the evenings on nights when no one else was around, using those keys. Sometimes we found food in the kitchen. But we stayed out of the offices.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 04, 2017 10:03PM

Back in the '70's, when I was teen Episcopalian (sounds like a horror movie), and they built a brand new church, there was no lock on the door--the sanctuary was open 24/7.

That lasted about 3 years after theft and vandalism, but it was a good try.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 04, 2017 10:34PM

I was a ward clerk, assistant at first and then the real one, for the last 4 years or so of my church life.

I was given a key to the church at first and sometimes would go to the church to do some paperwork. Don't remember now what I was doing but it was usually during the week.

About a year into my job, we got a new bishop who was also a neighbor and friend. He was sure to tell me that I was going to continue and I kept the key.

A couple of years later, we got a new bishop who was really "toeing the line" as it were and he had his counselors collect all the keys; we weren't to go into the church unless the priesthood was there. Not my priesthood, but theirs. And for this guy, it was way different.

I don't think I ever got a key back at that point and it was OK. It made it easier to only do the job when someone was there to sign checks etc.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: August 04, 2017 10:41PM

The "key" is to call the bishop at all hours of the day and night. They get pissed, and make sure you get a key.

My DH was ward secretary. We lived 30 miles from the church. They didn't give him a key. The bishop lived 5 blocks from us every time DH needed a key he would call or drop in on bishop. Bishop had 6 kids and a pregnant wife. This was before cell phones, so everyone was long distance. He wasn't used to getting calls all times of the day and evening. It took DH 4 days before he had keys to everything.

We had a house rule. No key, no driving 30/60miles. Period!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2017 10:42PM by janis.

Posted by: Satan ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 03:35PM

And I would too! Nothing's more evil than keeping a bunch of snot-nosed teachers from playing a late night game of hoops.

PS
Mwahh-ha-ha-ha!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 03:44PM

check under the sofa cushions.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 05:31PM

The only church key I ever had was a bottle opener.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 06:33PM

Ha! Ha! Me too.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.