Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 04, 2017 02:21PM

I know the subject of the Book of Mormon musical gets repeated a lot here and many of you are probably tired of hearing about it. But I have to tell you that I saw it last night here in Salt Lake City, and the production here is just amazing. It’s in the new Eccles Center Theater, a gorgeous venue with an amazing sound system.

I saw it twice when I lived in Las Vegas and raved about it then, but here in Utah, every joke or mention of Utah or Sal Tlay Ka Siti gets a particularly rousing reception.

The cast last night was amazing, lots of energy and great singing and dancing skills, none of which I ever possessed so I admit to being in awe of these mostly young people. The young woman who plays Nabulungi, Myha’la Herrold, is a great vocalist and performer. One of my favorite parts is Elder Cunningham when he calls her repeatedly by a wrong name.

It’s very offensive and explicit, just the way I like my comedy musicals.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 04, 2017 09:36PM

Any LDS PR spin?

Were the Real missionaries signing up investigators outside?

Date: August 04, 2017 10:02PM

No sign of the church at all. In the program that we got, there's a full page ad:

http://imgur.com/a/vht6j

There's a little bit of a sense of humor about that, but I don't know what else they can do.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 01:07AM

It showed a BoM, and said, "You've seen the play - now go home and read the book."

I remember thinking that the old boys in SLC had bigger cojones than I ever gave them credit for, or they were way beyond senile.

Posted by: primarypianist ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 10:13AM

My husband and I saw the Book of Mormon musical last time it was in Salt Lake, and I wish I could've seen it again this time around. We've never laughed so hard. Matt Stone and Trey Parker never disappoint.

Date: August 05, 2017 01:01PM

Since I posted this, I got an email last night, giving me a chance to enter a lottery for $30.00 tickets, on several occasions before the run is over on August 20. I entered 3 different times (no limit) but knowing my luck, I won't be winning anything.

Posted by: JBF ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 01:19PM

I hope this lottery isn't about winning a free Book of Mormon or a free membership with the LDS Church or a free meal with the profit.

Date: August 05, 2017 01:26PM

It appeared to come directly from the Eccles Theater, so I doubt that it has much to the THE CHURCH.

Having seen this 3 times, I am a little surprised that the church didn't make a fuss when it first came out, about "proprietary information" or whatever it's called. There are lots of references to things in the church, including of course, The Book of Mormon, Joseph Smith, Golden Plates et al.

Posted by: I'm new here ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 05:15PM

I'll be visiting friends in SLC next week and we have tix to go see it. Can't wait.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 06:31AM

I didn't go last weekend, with Kate Kelley and friends, or with the group from sin city (sounded like fun), and didn't get tickets earlier this year, not knowing where I'd be during the run, and now don't know if it's still possible to get any for next week, or if the eclipse will 'overshadow' it.

It's a busy week. I guess we'll see.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.