Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 03:18PM

Who are some of these "mormon" celebrities?

Walt Disney springs to mind but there are dozens of others. Mormons seem to think if famous people like them, they have more credibility for their their lies and false advertising.

That's funny because famous people lie at least as much as a hard working co-worker or next door neighbor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nyetmo ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 03:24PM

Tom Hanks

Marco Rubio...it was very brief during his childhood, and I don't think he was ever baptized

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 03:29PM

Paul Walker. He did leave at one point.

Steve Martin. I heard a rumor in my former ward that he wore a CTR ring, and people thought that he was a Mormon. *shrugs*

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 03:35PM

"My" mishes name-dropped Pat Boone, but I ruined it by asking details...

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 03:46PM

Didn't they claim Abraham Lincoln as their own at one point? I've heard rumors about those claims.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2017 03:47PM by severedpuppetstrings.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 06:34PM

They apparently found a BoM when they packed up Abe's belongings. Once that delicious tidbit surfaced I'm sure the Mormons couldn't get his name to the temple fast enough to be baptized and become an Honorary Mormon.

However, I'm sure they did the same for John Wilkes Booth just like they did for Hitler.

Considering the trouble the Mormons were making at the time it wouldn't be surprising that Lincoln got one to check out that Mormon Bible thing and see what all the fuss was about.

Posted by: Programmed ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 01:22AM

Abraham Lincoln was very anti-Mormon. He platformed on two things: (1) anti-slavery; (2) anti-polygamy.

He was definitely not Mormon.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 04:14PM

Google has a list. Query away.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 05:17PM

I promise I wasn't on drugs.

But what I thought may be either a 'multiverse or just mind clearing dream', Obama was introduced by a general authority, to speak at a fireside for men only, and he started by asking everyone to look up a scripture in the D&C.

I didn't get the exact scripture and that was basically all I got.

I have 'no idea' why Obama or the church were in my dreams!

Like I have said before, in my 'potential' multiverse dreams I am very frequently shown something 'very different/new to me given my current reality'.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 09:44PM

I've taken to drinking Mugwort tea before bed and I get more vivid dreams. It's supposed to also help RV.

I suppose in some alternative timeline "Choom gang" Barry could have been converted in Hawaii and convinced to trade the holy smoke for the Holy Ghost.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 10:17PM

I made a note to try that tea!! It would be nice to have longer dreams and get more clarity.

I use to get only 2-3 dreams a month, now it is up to 5-7 every week.

I have been getting a lot of good stuff in a dream state. I asked for multiverse information but also ask for guidance or information so I can get anything. I really want the dreams period for 'growth' reasons.

In the 'potential' multiverse stuff unlike normal dreams. I am never in control but like inside someone else who does the talking and actions. The person who I have been inside of did have a job like mine but other than that I recognize no one. However, I have not met his 'family' yet.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 02:23AM

Posted by: barfbag ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 09:57PM

When I was a kid in the 80s/90s it was believed that Bob Saget was a mormon. Mormons watched Full House or America's Funiest Home Videos and thought that someone so boring, bland, wholesome, and white just HAD to be mormon. little did they realize that it was just an act he was putting on! His standup is quite the opposite (well, it's still pretty white, but otherwise...)

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 02:26AM

Yeah. Off screen Bob Saget was always making dirty jokes. I love his appearances on the tv show Entourage. That is probably how he really is in real life

Posted by: JBF ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 09:57PM

I know Mark Twain had a copy of BoM and even read it!

Only to give a review of it.

Check out what MT had to say about the BoM (or should we shorten this to BM?). Just google it.

Posted by: JBF ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 01:08PM

All men have heard of the Mormon Bible, but few except the "elect" have seen it, or, at least, taken the trouble to read it. I brought away a copy from Salt Lake. The book is a curiosity to me, it is such a pretentious affair, and yet so "slow," so sleepy; such an insipid mess of inspiration. It is chloroform in print. If Joseph Smith composed this book, the act was a miracle--keeping awake while he did it was, at any rate. If he, according to tradition, merely translated it from certain ancient and mysteriously-engraved plates of copper, which he declares he found under a stone, in an out-of-the-way locality, the work of translating was equally a miracle, for the same reason.

An actual quote from Mark Twain.

Do you agree with this or not?

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 12:56AM

I came across the "chloroform in print" comment in the later years of my time in Mormondom. Having made several sincere but unsuccessful attempts to read it through, I felt validated.

When I heard stories from people who claimed to gather as families, morning and evening, to read from the BoM together, I was amazed at their tenacity. When DH and I were first married, about a quarter-century ago, we tried - really - to do the same thing. The kids were bored witless, except for the youngest, who was 4 or 5 at the time. She couldn't read, of course, but she had her own set of "scriptures," and made quite a show of looking deeply thoughtful and running her little finger along the lines, as if following along.

It didn't help that I, too, was bored silly. The two oldest kids - our boys - picked up on my boredom, and made little wisecracks according to the inspiration of the moment, and I couldn't help giggling. The whole thing would disintegrate into helpless laughter. We had to surrender. I guess Stan won the day.

The formerly studious younger daughter resigned the same day I did. The other kids have all left the church. Our younger son believed long enough to serve an honorable mission, and came out of it with excellent Spanish. He held out the longest, but he and his wife threw in the towel with the business about denying ordinances to the children of gay couples.

I'm so glad that we have all found our way out.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 12:02AM

Some of those church films with known actors like Jimmmy Stewart and Robert Pine have confused some TBM's. I had a couple of missionary companions testify to investigators that all the people shown in "On the Way Home" were real Mormon families.

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: August 05, 2017 01:23AM

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 02:30AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vfasXQ6KC40#

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2017 02:35AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 08:17AM

In the movie "Brigham Young" (1940) Vincent Price plays Joseph Smith and Tyrone Power is "Jonathan Kent," whom I'd never heard of before--but probably not to be confused with Superman's earthly stepfather. Brigham himself is played by Dean Jagger ("Twelve O'Clock High," "Bad Day at Black Rock," "Alligator") Also appearing are Moroni Olsen ("Father of the Bride"); Linda Darnell; Jane Darwell ("Gone With the Wind," "The Grapes of Wrath," "The Devil and Daniel Webster"); the ubiquitous John Carradine; Mary Astor ("The Hurricane," "The Maltese Falcon"); and even Charles Middleton, best known as Ming the Merciless in the original Flash Gordon serial. It seems like almost everybody who was anybody in Hollywood in that period is in there somewhere, although I don't see Judy Garland, Clark Gable, or Humphrey Bogart. Imagine an alternate version with Clark as old Joe, Bogie as Brigham, and Judy as Emma...or maybe Fanny Alger?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032281/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast
http://www.vernonjohns.org/snuffy1186/brigham%20young%201940.html

I saw it on TV long ago, but don't remember much about it except the seagulls eating the "crickets." I'll have to keep an eye out in case it comes up again.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 06:48AM

I have done some on-line searches and discovered to my surprise, several celebrities who are mormon or who were raised mormon. The reason that you don't know about them is that they've left the church and don't want to be associated with it. You see them on TV all the time and don't know it. Can you blame them for not wanting to have the label of mormon or ex-mormon, when the success of their careers requires them to not be attached to what they know is a cult?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 06, 2017 10:40AM

Meanwhile there are famously bad Mormons other Mormons refuse to recognize as one of their own.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.