Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 02:29PM

I am on a Dave Ramsey message board. There is a poster who has $108,000 debt from student loans and still pays $500 tithing a month. Her grocery bill for a family of 5 is only $400. The poster is active lds. I have resigned from Mormonism over 3 years ago. Is there an exception for paying tithing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 02:40PM

Only death or leave.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 02:46PM

Family of 5 for $400? Wonder what she's feeding them.

Posted by: guy2 ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 11:57PM

I have a family of five and our budget is $150 every two weeks, and we eat just fine.

Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 02:55PM

Not if they want to keep their recommend.

Lynn Robbins, April 2005 GC, "Tithing: A Commandment Even for the Destitute" (May 2005 Ensign, pp. 34-36):

"One of the first things a bishop *must* do to help the needy is ask them to pay their tithing. Like the widow [of Zarephath], if a destitute family is faced with the decision of paying their tithing or eating, they should pay their tithing. The bishop can help them with their food and other basic needs until they become self-reliant." [Emphasis in original.]

Later in the same address:

"In October of 1998 Hurricane Mitch devastated many parts of Central America. President Gordon B. Hinckley was very concerned for the victims of this disaster, many of whom lost everything – food, clothing, and household goods… [T]his modern prophet's message in each city was similar – to sacrifice and be obedient to the law of tithing."

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 04:13PM

Post that god doesn't need all that kind of money. Donate to the church $600 bucks a year. That's it. The rest goes towards needs.

When the bishop asks about it just say you are honest with your dealings with God and men and Bishop, mind your own damn business.

If they ever attempt to take the recommend, think of it as a blessing because then you can get out of a lot of church callings and never have to worry about going to the cult mansion for a long time.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 05:13PM

And!!!

Don't you dare deduct all you spent on Primary preparations from your tithing. Cause you'll be sinnin if ya do--like those two stealers of God's money--Safira and Ebenezer! (Or whoever they were.)

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 10:22PM

Ananias and Sapphira, taught to all the kiddies in SS. They paid a partial instead of full tithe, and look what happened. They died. Do you want to die too?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 09:37PM

The church is very adamant; pay tithing even if you can't pay rent, food, utilites, meds etc.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 10:15PM

I still owe from a few months ago. Should I pay up?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 10:29PM

Well it's either that or wrap yourself in bacon so you'll make a nice hors d'oeuvre when Jesus comes. I think donations to this board count as tithing.

Date: August 03, 2017 11:02PM

Thank you so much I needed a good laugh. I love crispy bacon.

So, my ex-bishop, who wants to come over, Maybe a tithing settlement?

I always chimed in during Gospel essentials class that I saw tithing as Fire Insurance. ...That I wouldn't turn crispy at his return on a chariot of fire, clothed in red apparel.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 11:05PM

Pay it into a retirement account and you will feel blessed in your old age.

Date: August 07, 2017 09:52AM

Pay tithing to your own self directed charity for your family.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 11:21PM

Some of my friends who are still mormon interpret the scripture about paying a tithe of ten percent of your "increase" differently. After you pay your obligations and have some money left over at the end of the month, just pay a tithing of ten percent on that only money. Better yet, pay nothing at all.

Date: August 07, 2017 10:00AM

If your salary is $50K / year you got a raise to $51K. Then I suppose that $1000 was an increase.

However, if you bills and expense increased that year and you owe $5K on the credit card at the end of the year then pay your credit card.

The church doesn't see it that way. That's ok. They also don't disclose the billions of dollars they have in cash either just sitting there ready to buy up more property for real estate development.

When they can plunk down $565 million in cash to purchase land in Florida and at the same time members have to beg their bishop for food and help with expenses from a church ward with an already small $5K budget per year it's no wonder anyone would donate at all at this point of churches finances.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/corporate/st-joe-co-selling-382834-acres-in-northwest-florida/2151305

Yet members continue to fund the church at $4B to $6B tax free to Monson's vacation fund.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 09:34AM

LDS, Inc. has interpreted tithing to be as generous to itself as possible. Tithing is supposed to be on your increase, which is not your gross revenues. It's your revenues minus expenses.

If you ran a farm, bought a calf for $1000 and sold it for $10,000 as a cow, you would owe $1000 in tithing. They don't allow you to deduce the feeding, care, vet bills, barn cost, labor costs, etc.

If you bought a calf for $1000, spent $4000 on food and vet bills, $2000 on labor to care for it, and sold it for $10,000, your real profit is only $3000, so you should pay $300. LDS, Inc. thinks you should pay $1,000, taking 1/3 of your profit instead of 1/10th.

If you spend $108,000 to put yourself through college to get a job, then you should deduct your student loan payments from your gross salary. You should also deduct basic housing, clothing, transportation, daycare, and any expenses you need to get to work. Instead of paying $10,000 on a $100,000 salary, you should be paying more like $3,000, as much of your money goes to taxes, loan payments, and basic maintenance.

Of course, LDS, Inc. wants that $7,000, so they guilt you into paying on your revenues, not your "increase".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2017 09:34AM by axeldc.

Date: August 08, 2017 12:42PM

YIKES!!!

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 12:43PM

Honestly, I'm really surprised that they would have a $5,000/month income, but only spend $400/month on food. I mean, sure, it works, but...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.