Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: August 01, 2017 12:44PM

Sorry if this video has already been discussed.

I've been seeing this silly video in my FB newsfeed lately. I think the atheist here is being portrayed as an idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_AE0ouqtOg

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 01, 2017 04:50PM

"My belief in the resurrection of Jesus is rational. It's based on historical facts."

The he goes on to present of list of decidedly non-factual things. Making rather silly excuses for why they're supposedly "facts."

Negating the sentence above.

Want to believe in Jesus? Great. Enjoy. Hope it makes your life better.

But at least be honest about it, and admit it's based on emotion, instead of lying about "facts."

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: August 01, 2017 08:25PM

If Jesus is real than he will have to forgive me for not believing in him since he left me with nothing to go with but the words men (who lived thousands of years ago) and nothing else.

Most of the events recorded in the Bible don't match up with our observation and understanding of the physical world around us.
We have all known for a while now that there wasn't a great flood that covered the earth. The Israelites didn't build the great pyramids of Egypt, and the world is not 6000 years old...yet people still believe in those things. It is more likely that the whole bible is one giant book of fairy tales than any of those events recorded in the bible actually happened. Perhaps there is a tiny bit of truth hidden in there every once in a while but on the whole it was all made up...just like the book of Mormon.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 01, 2017 09:56PM

Believe away if you want to. If you have such great faith and strong belief, why isn't that enough for you? Why the need to pretend some "Maybes" and "Possibly's" are cold hard facts. Why pretend third hand information and questionable hearsay are viable testimony?

Enjoy your faith. Your Bible says that is enough. Why isn't it for you? So let it be and leave the semantic gymnastics to novelists.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 02, 2017 12:14AM

strawman

Posted by: Bamg ( )
Date: August 02, 2017 12:52AM

Ya' think? ;-)

Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: August 02, 2017 12:51AM

Yeah, it takes a fake, cartoon atheist to accept that pack of logical fallacies!

Date: August 02, 2017 12:40PM

I just don't understand the need to portray atheists as the bad/stupid/demonic guy. I have family members that post these types of things with comments implying atheists are doing the work of (in league with) the devil.

I don't care if they want to believe in any fairy tale they want, but, why the need to demonize people that don't?

And, why don't they see these logical fallacies for what they are?

I see the religious persecution card being played a lot. Seems like it's the other way around.

Date: August 02, 2017 01:39PM

eternal1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see the religious persecution card being played
> a lot. Seems like it's the other way around.

It happens on both "sides."

Some atheists snidely call anybody who believes "stupid."
Some believers snidely call any atheist "satan's tool."

Human nature, I suppose.

But yeah, videos like the one in the OP, flouting dishonesty and fallacy and then trying to make the atheist character look stupid for not accepting dishonesty and fallacy are pretty ridiculous.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 02, 2017 02:54PM

Belief is up to each of us. I'm an atheist, but I have no interest in trying to convert others to my point of view. Believing in Jesus, Heaven, resurrection, God, whatever doesn't bother me one way or another.

As long as religious people don't come to my door or intrude in other ways I don't mind what they believe.

Date: August 02, 2017 06:35PM

I agree Cheryl but as an atheist you will be demonized by a majority in this country. Killed in others.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 02, 2017 07:31PM

Have US atheists been murdered for their opinions? If so, where and when?

Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: August 02, 2017 07:48PM

Cheryl Wrote:
> Have US atheists been murdered for their opinions?
> If so, where and when?

eternal1 did not claim that atheists were killed in every country. I assume they are talking about the US when he claims "in this country" and that the killings are done in other countries.

Here is an interesting read about discrimination against atheists in the USA:

http://www.joslin.org/info/the-truth-about-the-so-called-diabetes-diet.html

But there are 13 countries in the world where atheists can be put to death, legally, by the state.

Date: August 03, 2017 11:18AM

Yes, I was referring to countries outside the US where being atheist is against the law and is justification for being put to death.

Not sure how the link to a diabetes diet applies.

While Cheryl may not feel demonized (good for her), there are still states with constitutions that discriminate against atheists. Atheists are a minority in this country and can face discrimination similar to that faced by other minorities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination_against_atheists

Here's an interesting article about it:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-secular-life/201406/why-americans-hate-atheists

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: August 03, 2017 04:07PM

It's just the muslims that do that kind of thing nowadays in piss poor cave man countries like Pakistan.

I suppose some back woods small town church group may do odd things like go after a lazy believer and call down hell fire for their family member to believe again but death for being an atheist. Nope, I can't recall that happening very often.

Date: August 03, 2017 08:05PM

Phazer Wrote:
> It's just the muslims that do that kind of thing
> nowadays in piss poor cave man countries like
> Pakistan.

Lots more to "demonization" than killing atheists (although that certainly still exists, and even in places like Malaysia, hardly a "piss-poor cave man country."
For example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination_against_atheists#Atheists_ineligible_to_hold_office

And:
http://freethoughtreport.com/map/

It's getting better, no question. But it's not "good" yet, even in some surprising countries like Greece.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 10:18AM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> Phazer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----

>
> Lots more to "demonization" than killing atheists
> (although that certainly still exists, and even in
> places like Malaysia, hardly a "piss-poor cave man
> country."
> For example:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination_again
> st_atheists#Atheists_ineligible_to_hold_office
>

Yes, those laws are on the books and it's annoying that state legislatures do not work hard to remove stupid rules and policy from these states. Once the law is on the books nobody wants to take them off without putting up a lot of obstacles to do so.

I've yet to see these Atheist provisions enforced on any public servant that had no belief at all, ran and won.

Unfortunately, to be in public office, you have to be "fake in some ways" in order to get the votes in. Campaigns are built on good intentions and very few deliver.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 07, 2017 10:47AM

Cheryl Wrote:
> Belief is up to each of us. I'm an atheist, but I
> have no interest in trying to convert others to my
> point of view. Believing in Jesus, Heaven,
> resurrection, God, whatever doesn't bother me one
> way or another.
>
> As long as religious people don't come to my door
> or intrude in other ways I don't mind what they
> believe.

That's where I am now too.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.