Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 31, 2017 11:23AM

My family is coming back from Utah today. I've heard a lot about these soda (like Sodalicious) shops that dot The Wasatch Front. And hearing about these and wondering how fast food shops cover Utah like anywhere else, I thought, "Could WoW fail even more than it has?"

Seriously, if God wanted a "health code" or health commandment, high fructose corn syrup and vacuously high caloried and artificially flavored foods seems to me something God would want to counsel His children against.

The amount of junk I've become addicted to boggles my mind.

In the miasma of bad advice, terrible counsel, and stupid religious rules, Section 89 in spirit if not in words seems like a good idea.

Mild alcoholic drinks.
Don't eat too much meat.
Don't use tobacco.
Eat stuff in its season.

But of all the things Mormons don't keep let alone the actual sabbath day their Word of Wisdom seems like a no brainer. Since there is no revelation in Mormonism at least when "The World" showed how bad a steady diet of bad and hitting the Sodalicious shops like they were Starbucks was, Mormonism could have come down hard on the modern sugar addiction in The World?

Could The Word of Wisdom have failed Mormons more than it already has?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2017 11:25AM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 31, 2017 12:13PM

It is one thing to be overweight and unhealthy as a result. It is quite another to be smugly overweight and unhealthy as you brag that you don't drink coffee.

Yes. The WoW has failed Mormons. Seconds on the chocolate pudding with marshmallows, Cool Whip, fudge sauce and a Mountain Dew anyone?

Some mormons do take care of themselves. I have noticed that they credit their good health to their own sensible exercise and diet routines. Hmmmmnn.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 31, 2017 12:14PM

A tale as old as humans...

Some human has an unpleasant experience with some food/substance.
They decide their unpleasant experience is because "god" doesn't want us to use that food/substance.
Rather than figure out WHY they had an unpleasant experience.
So it becomes "god's command" to not use the food/substance.

Thus some poor schmuck who probably ate some bad pork a few thousand years ago becomes the catalyst for "god" declaring pork "unclean." Instead of learning how to cook it properly.

And Emma getting tired of cleaning up tobacco spit mixed with early 1800's American "clean colon" fads and temperance movements winds up as the "word of wisdom," later turned into the "command of wisdom." No matter how much evidence shows most of it to be nonsense.

And, as you pointed out, "god" apparently can't be bothered to condemn the stuff that's really egregious -- tons of processed sugar, for example. No, that's just fine, but don't drink that damn evil satan-roasted coffee!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 31, 2017 03:40PM

"Satan-roasted coffee."

Lol :D

Date: July 31, 2017 03:52PM

From an actual experience...

I like "Major Dickason's blend" from Peet's.
Had a newly-purchased bag of it with me one time when I ran into some mishies.
One of them said under his breath, "Might as well call it Satan's Roast."

:)

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 01, 2017 02:26AM

Eve, come try this roasted bean. It is delicious to the taste and very desirable.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: July 31, 2017 01:46PM

Don't you all know that it's all about obedience, not logic?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 31, 2017 02:39PM

I gave up all sodas a few weeks ago, and I've lost weight. Coca Cola was my favorite, and I drank it daily. I had already made some dietary changes, but giving up soda was the most effective of all for weight loss. I do drink coffee and tea. I think maybe sodas are killing us.

Definitely the Word of Wisdom needs more wisdom and fewer words.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 31, 2017 06:03PM

My New Year's resolution this year was to make some dietary improvements, particularly with what I eat and drink at work. My soda consumption has been greatly reduced. I am drinking a lot more low fat milk, and consuming fewer desserts.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: August 09, 2017 07:43AM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I gave up all sodas a few weeks ago,
> and I've lost weight.

Congrats on the weight loss!

Date: July 31, 2017 03:26PM

Lots of suspicion these days of health-undermining lectins in whole wheat hulls.

How many of us had tons of that crap under the kids' beds, in barrels, and in the garage?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2017 03:27PM by kathleen.

Posted by: JenAZ ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 09:09PM

My mother learned how to make gluten burgers in RS when I was a kid and made them frequently. When we needed to use all of the wheat in the food storage, aka my bed frame, she had plenty of practice. Now at 45 I have gluten sensitivity and other autoimmune issues.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 11:25PM

Totally on lectins. And how important are polyphenols like in coffee. Those funeral potatoes are lectins loaded.

Kathleen, your post a long time ago regarding balls of goo reduced by the washing machine (do I have that right?) was one of the best I've ever read. :-) Wheat gluten as a substitute for meat.

Date: August 08, 2017 11:42PM

I don't think that was me, but I wish I could take credit for it!
:D

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: August 01, 2017 07:45AM

Amalgamated Sugar Company is an LDS-owned beet sugar company, that sells sugar to Coca-cola and PepsiCo. It used to sell to Anhauser Busch (maybe it still does) to use in its fermentation of beer.

I strongly suspect that it sells sugar to Jell-o.

I am not at all surprised that the Mormons allow Coke and Pepsi.

LDS, Inc. is the number one seller of beef in the nation. They sell beef to McDonald's and Burger King. Out of season, and not in times of famine.

Kathleen is right about wheat. During the Cold War, there was a such a huge surplus, that the US was considering selling it to the enemy, Russia. The U.S. public suggested dumping it into the ocean, instead. LDS, Inc. is a huge wheat-grower. They had a better idea: sell it to the Mormons for food storage!

The genetically-altered wheat that people eat today has 4 to 20 times the amount of gluten in it, compared to the natural wheat that the early farmers grew.

In honor of my new "ex-Mormon" status, I threw away all our Mormon recipes, and gave up sugar, wheat, butter, and lard. 20 pounds fell off, unexpectedly.

The majority of Mormon women over 35 in our neighborhood are clinically obese, and unhealthy. I give them credit for their will-power, though, as they struggle with one starvation diet after another, and they starve themselves every fast Sunday. They try every fad diet that comes along, even if it's life-threatening. I remember Fen-fen, and a group RS women went on that diet together. They lost weight so fast, that it was noticeable. Then came the heartbreak of watching them gain it all back, and then exceed their original size.

Mormons are more susceptible to scams, and most fad diets are scams.

Mormons hear only what they want to hear, and are practitioners of denial. "Why am I so fat, when I obey the word of wisdom?"

Date: August 02, 2017 07:08AM

This information highlights where Mormonism as a highly organized business has its priorities and it isn't in the saving of souls. It amazes me how poor diets and high intake of self righteousness can coincide within a belief structure touting a "health code."

I think that if their prophet can't run and not be weary and walk and not faint then he should step down slowly and with assistance.

Mormonism is so absurd. They gobble up sodas in their mecca, worship an elderly man who will go to his grave pretending to lead them, and yet they have scripture promoting a healthier diet than most of them have claiming if followed will give them the strength they need to lead and follow.

Their unnatural men are the enemies of their god and yet even in senility they lead them.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 08, 2017 11:34PM

I have a friend who drinks a 32 oz Mountain Dew frequently but won't touch coffee. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I think a large Mt. Dew is equal to a medium coffee, as far as caffeine is concerned. I just want to say "man up and just have the coffee - it would be better for you." Illogical obedience apparently trumps evidence though.

Also, re: the high gluten content of American wheat - there have been stories about people who are gluten intolerant in the US but can eat bread while travelling abroad, where there are better strains of wheat. There is also a line of thought that says it's the pesticides and fertilizers used in the US that people are reacting to, even more so than the gluten. But either way, the WoW is supposed to protect people in the "latter days" but instead is encouraging people to eat the one thing that is getting less healthy in the latter days. Seems like a prophet would have known that ... Oh right, but maybe not a con man.

Date: August 09, 2017 07:50AM

Ironically, The US is probably one of the most prolific countries in modifying food for profit.

And The Mormons have The Word of Wisdom yet they can't run and not be weary nor walk and not be faint.

Their temperance movement failed them but since humans love extremes they can blame coffee and tea on other people's health problems and not look at the high sugar staring them in their healthy ghost haunted faces.

Date: August 09, 2017 10:44AM

CA girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a friend who drinks a 32 oz Mountain Dew
> frequently but won't touch coffee. I don't have
> the numbers in front of me, but I think a large
> Mt. Dew is equal to a medium coffee...

Mt. Dew has about 4.5 mg per ounce of caffeine.
Brewed coffee has about 10 mg per ounce of caffeine.

So a 32-oz Mt. Dew has around 144mg of caffeine, equal to a 14-oz. brewed coffee.

Note that dark chocolate has about 20mg per oz of caffeine, putting it higher than either of the two above...yet the WoW says nothing about not eating chocolate...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2017 10:47AM by ificouldhietokolob.

Date: August 09, 2017 01:58PM

If Emma had drank hot cocao Mormons would not touch the stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2017 01:58PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: August 09, 2017 05:55PM

During the Nauvoo period, waterborne diseases were a major health problem. The revelation to ban hot drinks benefitted only the bacteria. Hardly a law of health, if you ask me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.