Date: October 24, 2010 05:39PM
1) The star has a military significance (my first thought... as relating to the star in the window deal... blue star.. gold star.. different colors signify household member in Iraq or Afghanistan, or lost in combat, wounded, etc. etc...
2) Purely decorative with no significance (just hard for me to believe)
3) Signifies a Christian home
4) In Pennsylvania, denotes something about German-Amish tradition
5) In Texas, shows pride in ones state
6) A pagan home celebrating winter solstice
7) Barn stars... supposedly marks or covers the ends of beams in a barn
So apparently there is no singular purpose for this very distinct star. It's not like there is a wide variance in the star. I have seen smaller ones and sometimes the star is blue, but the VAST MAJORITY of them are rust reddish brown in color and appear identical as if from the same manufacturer.