Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jonny (the girl) ( )
Date: July 20, 2017 06:00PM

Now, I am here in KCMO, and I saw a carthage on the map. I don't know if it's the one. I didn't pay much attention to stuff like that.

So if it is, is the original jail still there? I would love to go to the jail cell he was "martyred" in, not to be there where he was but to be in a place I know my great great grandfather was.

While my gg grandfather wasn't there when the shooting happened, he was there a couple hours before. His name was Gilbert Belnap, and he was one of js bodyguards. JS told the rest of them to go home so he was one that left.

But I think that would be cool.....or something.

I was thinking of taking my new friend on a road trip there. I haven't been anywhere south yet, just up north a bit. Of course I would wait till it cools down, as it is deadly hot right now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 20, 2017 06:05PM

Apparently there used to be a glass cover over his bloodstain on the floor; more likely that it would be Hyrum's blood, but hey, a martyr is a martyr, right?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 20, 2017 06:07PM

Yes, it's still a tourist attraction. Don't forget to ask for a copy of the Nauvoo Expositor.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: July 20, 2017 06:17PM

The Carthage where Joe Smith got shot is in Illinois not Missouri.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 20, 2017 06:31PM

Carthage, Missouri is a historic site for the Civil War, and on Route 66.

Not the same town where Joe died - that was in Illinois.

Carthage, Missouri would make for a nice road trip. There's some scenic things along the way - and Route 66, even if you just drive a stretch of it - is a trip in itself.

:)

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: July 20, 2017 11:06PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUgf8q8NAxk

Incidentally, on a more recent trip, the elder during his presentation made some admissions on JS during his time in the jail there; I forgot what it was, but it wasn't a sanitized version.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.