Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: yeppers ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 12:45PM

One of my biggest problems way back when I was active, was watching the kids stick their fingers in their mouths, pick their nose, or worse... and then break the bread for sacrament.

They sit there for upwards of 15 minutes before they do it, so all kinds of stuff can happen.

Then, when the trays are picked up, I find myself quickly calculating sacrament math to try to figure out what tray I am going to get, and if it was from booger boy sitting up there.

One Sunday, when I refused to eat the booger bread, my wife gave me hell all day until I finally broke down and told her.

She told me, "well, it was blessed, so it's sanitary now".

Just a thought I had to share!

Oh, and your welcome!

My thought it, how much booger bread did I eat before I realized what they were doing and started watching them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 12:58PM

Posted by: mootman ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 01:00PM

True very true
Honestly, the level of hygiene and "food safety" that we practiced as 12-18 year Olds in my ward growing up was pretty high. For example we washed the trays pretty well and with perfect regularity, and we washed our hands well.
But there is a lot of variability. I've never seen the trays properly sanitized and some wards have very poor safety.
Then you're letting the whole congregation touch it after that jeeeeeezzz

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 01:13PM

Sac prep area should have a WASH YOUR HANDS! sign...

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 01:16PM

In our ward, we always wiped our hands down with those little hand-wipes-in-a-pack before breaking the bread.
I thought all wards did that...?

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 02:16PM

This didn't happen when I was a priest oh so many years ago but I have seen it since that time.

Date: July 19, 2017 03:53PM

Hmm.
Last time I was a priest was 1977.
Maybe our ward had a germophobic bishop? ;-)

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 10:25PM

Yeah, we did the hand-wipe thing in our ward as well. That first piece of bread that we broke would taste more like the hand-wipe chemical than bread. LOL!!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 01:17PM

To say nothing of popping their zits nor flogging their bishop.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 04:12PM

i stopped actually eating the bread or drinking the water years before I left the church.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 04:29PM

Eating boogers is great--Joseph Smith taught young deacons that years ago. Or was it that the natural man is an enemy to God? I can never remember.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/05/05/eating-bogies-good-teeth-overall-health-scientists-conclude/

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 07:54PM

Ugh.

I recall once in Sacrament meeting watching one of the bishop's daughter's who was a little older than me picking her nose while sitting next to her mom on a pew opposite and a row or two in front from where I was sitting.

I'd never seen someone eat their boogers before. She sat there having a light snack on boogers delight. Pick, pick, pick, then quickly and quietly she'd stick her finger in her mouth to lick it clean, and start the process all over again. This went on for several rounds.

It was mesmerizing. Being the bishop's daughter well, it was well accepted she along with the rest of her family were next to perfect. Watching her eating her goobers that day brought her down fully a good notch or two.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 10:01PM

Once in Phood EQ mtg, a visitor/ father of one of the elders got out a nail clipper; he was noisy & sitting in front... Lots of WTFs!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2017 10:02PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 10:31PM

Yeah, but that's a good way to pass the time. :)

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 20, 2017 09:49AM

Thank your lucky stars that you're not in Pakistan, where you are supposed to wipe your arse with the fingers of your left hand, then wash afterward with cold water and a bar of Chinese soap. Makes you think, "Mmm. Sacrament bread."

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 20, 2017 09:50AM

Date: July 20, 2017 09:55AM

:)

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: July 20, 2017 12:54PM

Having been a YM president/Scoutmaster for several years, I continually schooled the boy's on hand washing before prepping the sacrament. Not only do most of the trays they use never ever get washed appropriately, but when they are preparing for the sacrament (i.e. putting it all together), many of them I have caught doing all sorts of stuff, e.g. cleaning out their ears, noses, scratching, etc. It got to the point that after I demanded they wash their hands, and would watch them the entire time.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 20, 2017 06:10PM

while the bishopric is breaking wind.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 20, 2017 08:23PM

Given the personal grooming habits of 12 year old males it's a friggin' miracle huge swathes of Mormondom haven't died of severe gastrointestinal distress!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.