Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: abby ( )
Date: July 18, 2017 06:10PM

Anyone know if it's coming back? It's been down forever.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: July 18, 2017 06:17PM

A lesson in site hosting.

PoMo died from being too sensitive and correct...

Don't expect a second coming...

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 12:47AM

Too sensitive and correct? I thought it moved slow, but didn't see a difference between there and here. I liked going between the two places. I can be an infrequent visitor, so I must have missed something.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 10:56AM

For awhile, things were going good. Lots of posters, many with a great sense of humor. Lotta venting by way of humor went on.

People started getting scolded privately for not being part of the 'soft place to land' for shell-shocked mo's seeking refuge.

The humor and banter were seen by management as too distracting and stomping all over the 'mission' of PoMo. So the people who were bold and able to speak truthfully without sugar-coating their thoughts-left.

A few die-hards hung in, but the board was killed and it's lifeblood was essentially made unwelcome. All that remained was uninspiring, polite small talk. Boring.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 11:16AM

I thought it was boring, too, and left long ago.

Posted by: .... ( )
Date: July 18, 2017 07:07PM

despite the message it displays, it id DEAD.....

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 12:48AM

Very few people were there when it crashed. I doubt it is worth the effort of bringing it back. Too bad as it was once a really good and active board .I am not sure what happened , but all the posters I liked left. Poor moderators were an issue too

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 02:04AM

I think they're trying to bring it back.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 10:49AM

I quit there because I found it to be sexist AF and the admin and mods seemed really deaf and blind to my pleas whenever I pointed out examples of that. Which is also sexist AF, "I don't experience this; therefore, it is not happening. Here's my litany of excuses why you're wrong."

I don't think it was EVER too sensitive and correct. If anything, it was purely an ego-building masturbatory project for maybe 2-3 guys. Women's voices were shouted down until silenced -- most of us left.

I read the "oops we've been hacked" message and had to LOL. Of course there's promises of when the new and improved whatever whatever will be launched (by the end of April! Bahaha!), and that whole message is a perfect encapsulation of why the site died. Too many irons in the fire, too much ego to accept feedback from end users and implement things. I gave up on it several years ago.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 11:03AM

I was never a member there, but I read the board for a long time. For a while, it definitely filled a niche. My perception was that it pursued fewer topics, but often in more depth. The mix of posters was somewhat different from here, so it gave the board a different flavor. Board members could easily find an exmo meetup. The exit stories were good as well.

What finally got to me were the posts that were too sexually graphic for my taste. I'm no prude, but it was just not something that I cared to read on an exmo site. And yes, a few board members seemed to predominate. I stopped reading there quite some time ago. I wouldn't have known that it was going downhill, because I was gone by then.

Date: July 19, 2017 03:01PM

Agreed. Administration was totally deaf and not just in regard to sexism. They were always right and were often rude to posters including me, both in private message and even online.

Date: July 19, 2017 03:06PM

Yeah, I actually defriended and blocked one person because I found him so goddamn insufferable. Sometimes, you can take the arrogant asshole out of the church, but that doesn't mean you can always take the arrogant out of the asshole. Or something. ;>)

Date: July 19, 2017 07:05PM

I actually blocked Jeff Ricks. I expressed a negative opinion on an athiest author popular there.I felt the guy was sometimes very inaccurate. Jeff wanted specifics about his inaccuracies. I gave some from memory as I had borrowed and returned the book and therefore didnt have access.It had also been a while since I read it. Not good enough. Jeff wanted more and more and apparently wanted quotes and page numbers. I refused as I didnt have the book at my fingertips and didnt see any reason to go to the trouble to satisfy Jeff who was being a jerk anyway. It isnt my job to write a report for him.He went on and on and wouldnt let it go. I had similar experiences with Brad who was not as bad as Jeff but still bad.

Do you know why everyone seemed to go all at once. I remwmber a big fuss over printing the number of posts each poster had made . Some people left, but there had to be more to it than that. I doubt they will be back. There were not enough people there at the end to make it worth the time and effort. I used to check it every few weeks and the same stuff was till on the first page. Too bad because there was a time when I loved it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2017 04:38AM by bona dea.

Date: July 20, 2017 09:22AM

No idea why everyone went at once. I was long gone by then.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 12:20PM

I liked having another place to go. There were some great discussions there but it was very slow just before it crashed. My question was who hacked and crashed the site. Could it have been someone who worked for tscc?

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 01:47PM

Good riddence.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 07:58PM

Well I, for one, won't miss it. I was there probably from 6 months to a year, about 8 or 9 years ago. I never got past the point of feeling completely invisible. They just never let me fit in.

I never said anything offensive. I tried to always be supportive of others. But I finally just gave up.

I wrote a nice post, thanking everyone for their company and said that I was going to try something which fit me better. Something like that.

Even the people I thought I'd made friends with said nothing. I got one reply. "Why bother telling us? Just leave."

Right. Well, that told me I'd made the right decision. I never went back again.

I've seen plenty of similar posts here and people have wished them the best and welcomed them to pop back in any time, just to say, "Hi."

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 08:09PM

I agree with Summer's assessment. Many topics were sexual in nature. A lot of them were pushing the limits; Having (gay) sex with the bishop; I kissed my companion; etc. And there were giant flame wars about being spiritual after leaving mormonism.

Posted by: Notbyu ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 09:07PM

I enjoyed the earlier days when they had the billboards. It really gave the site a purpose. There was a good community feel at the time. I didn't post that I often and over time I visited the site less and less as I didn't feel like I needed a support group to help me any longer. I always wondered though... why did they stop fund raising for the billboards? Without that... the site had no identity.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 09:31PM

I was an occasional poster there for some years - been wondering if it was coming back or not.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: July 20, 2017 01:50AM

The moderators over there are mean and feel like they must win arguments at all costs. Kind of unfair when they are arguing with non-moderators.

I guess I got mad and left about three times. I guess I won't be getting mad and leaving a fourth time.

I think the best part of the site was the exit stories and the rules allowing unlimited discussion of politics.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.