Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: July 18, 2017 04:14PM

JWs visit our neighborhood a few times each year and when my TBM wife is not here I normally talk to them. Interestingly, normally the husbands are exmos and the wives JWs with the wives leading the discussions.

Today I learned the following that I was unaware of (whether this is JW doctrine I don't know the people were pretty old and seemed to ramble a lot):

---- 1914 was the year the whole world changed from getting better to getting worse.

---- You can 'know' the bible is true because of the 'superior wisdom' on how to live. Like 'love one another' and 'do unto others' -- I told them that doesn't exactly sound like 'rocket science' to me!

---- JWs actually 'die' when their bodies die and have to wait to be 'resurrected' to come alive again. I told them 'resurrected beings' is one thing no people have seemed to observe in recent times, based on library books and internet posts ----- except JS.

---- If someone goes to war that is someone destined to Hell. I brought up, according to the Bible, the 'Children of God were commanded' to go to war to obtain the 'land of promise'. The JWs said God gave it to his people and the 'heathens' were told that and told to leave. I just can't understand why they wouldn't automatically leave their homes, cities, flocks, vineyards, etc. with that explanation.

I won't go blow by blow. But I have had 'experiences' and asked whether they believed in the part of the bible where it talks about 'divine revelation, visions, dreams, visitations, etc.'.

They appeared to believe if it was in the Bible but they had no experiences except good feelings and logic concerning the bible. I told them I have had 'experiences' that told me 'all religions' are man made and none are totally true. I have also been told the bible is not totally true and even 'Jesus' has major problems what was written.

I then stated if you believe in those type of 'divine' things, which people have written about in the bible and in our day in age also, and you haven't had any 'divine information' then I have a problem with all the garbage you are claiming about 'Jesus and the Bible'.

I challenged them to get some 'divine experiences' and ask basic questions about the Bible, Jesus, and their religion then come back and we will discuss these issues again.

For some reason, no one has ever come back. Maybe, this time?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2017 04:16PM by spiritist.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 18, 2017 05:05PM

spiritist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...but they had no experiences except good feelings
> and logic concerning the bible.

Well, 'good feelings' anyway :)

Posted by: Hamster on a wheel ( )
Date: July 18, 2017 05:15PM

From my understanding they do not believe in anything at all like dreams, visions or the LDS style holy ghost.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: July 18, 2017 11:04PM

Thanks for the information on JWs. I will normally talk to them just to see their reactions to what I say.

It didn't seem to matter what I said they seemed to just keep going on with the 'truthfulness and value' of the bible and why it was so important to 'believe' in Jehovah.

They seemed to like that I believed in God. But, they only stopped to 'clarify' what I said on a couple of 'outrageous (to any Christian) spiritual claims'. But not to ask anything or argue, just to make sure I really said that. Then back to the bible and Jehovah.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 07:07PM

Check out some of the "recovery" sites for JWs. You will be shocked at what they really believe--which is farrrrrrr from what they tell you at your door. Ask them what a "faithful slave" is.

They are worse shunners of their defector loved ones than Mormons are.

My JW brother is a 6'2" decorated veteran hero and he has to SNEAK to talk to his daughter. SNEAK!! That's the control they have over him!

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: July 20, 2017 02:12AM

The J-Dubs have been coming around to my house every month for the last three months. Always the same guy, but with three different companions.

From the first I have told them that I am an atheist and don't believe in anything supernatural. I only believe in things supported by evidence. Preferably evidence that would stand up in a court of law or a laboratory full of scientists.

The J-Dubs always go off on how we all should believe in God because the Bible is true, and we know that the Bible is true because it is the word of God, or something unconvincing like that. They love to talk about how the Bible is true because it prophesied the rise and fall of various empires in ancient history that hardly anyone today knows or cares about.

I am always really contrary and contradict most everything they say, ask for evidence, and question all of their baseless assertions. I utter all kinds of blasphemy. Like I point out how God seems to be really bad at his job. God is evil or incompetent or both. Or perhaps He is just really weak and doesn't have sufficient mana reserves to cast the really cool magic spells. But mostly His problem is that He fails to exist.

But none of this seems to phase the J-Dubs. I think maybe I am am the only one willing to talk with them. Everyone else hides or slams the door in their faces. Poor J-Dubs. They don't just go on 2-year missions. They are required to put in a certain number of hours doing missionary work every week for as long as they live.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.