Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 18, 2017 10:15AM

Or, sustained the Mormon?

I read a a review last night of Mario Livio's new book "WHY" which is an examination of curiosity. What struck me most was his division of curiosity into two categories that brought to mind a question asked often here on RFM as we are curious as to why anyone would stay once they knew what we knew. From the article:

"For example, the curiosity we feel when we see something that is surprising or puzzling or ambiguous, that doesn't agree exactly with our previous knowledge or presumed knowledge, is not the same as the curiosity we feel as the love of knowledge--what drives research in science, for example. The first one is associated with a state of mind that is aversive. It's an unpleasant feeling, which we try to get rid of. It even activates regions of the brain that are associated with conflict, or hunger and thirst. The second type, which represents this lust for knowledge, is associated with a pleasurable state . . ."

I'm thinking as in all things, there have to be variables to this bifurcation of curiosity. Why can two people uncover the same knowledge and it causes panic in one and pleasure in another? Do we have a propensity naturally to work from one type of curiosity more than the other? Something inside us pushes us to be curious in one way or another. Some have less tolerance for that which makes them uncomfortable and others naturally favor the "lust for knowledge" type curiosity that affords pleasure?

I see this with my mother who little by little knows more and more of the ugly underbelly of the Mormon church now and it's history as well. But as the author says, it brings adversity and she wants to get rid of it. So, in comes apologetics as her White Knight, and not a moment too soon. She just wants it gone. She does not want to feel that way. She doesn't want anyone or anything to make her feel that way.

I thought it was an interesting idea for those who have spouses or close family members whose conflict trumps their lust for knowledge.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 18, 2017 10:38AM

Knowledge is bad for Mormonism. It removes the emotionally developed people and leaves the emotionally dependent. The first commandment you learn in Mormonism is "Thou shalt not question". That basically removes your responsibility for critical thought because that is the purview of the brethren. Jesus wants you for his bitch. I'm not sure I like this improvement to NT Jesus.

Classic Jesus - It's the real thing, with all the right artificial ingredients. Tommy can have his Pepsi.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 18, 2017 10:55AM

This is really interesting, Done & Done.

The rabbit hole of information re TSCC is so fascinating, that I could never figure out how TBMs would see a little, and then slam the book shut! and shun families and 40-year friendships for bringing up such contagion.

I think fear has trumped their curiosity.

It's hard to accept that we're NOT unique (a peculiar people)--just stupid.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.