Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: C2NR ( )
Date: July 17, 2017 02:44PM

This friend is active but not extremely devout. He loves outdoor activities and has a hard time sitting through church. I found out the other day that he has been so bored at church that he has been surfing the web on his phone and coming across “anti” stuff. He didn’t intend to find out about these things, at least at first.

We were at a neighborhood get together and he asked me if I knew about the Strangites, the break off group that settled some place named Beaver Island and attracted many of the big church names after Joseph died. I said yes and asked him how he knew about them. I was quite surprised he asked me this. He said he read about this at church. He gets so bored that he has to find something to do with his mind, but he doesn’t want people looking over his shoulder and noticing that he is reading non-church related things, so he searches for topics like Oliver Cowdry or Martin Harris so it looks like he is studying faith promoting things. He reads what pops up, and as we know, sordid details about church history pop up. I tested his knowledge by asking him a few questions about other things that most members don’t know about, like the View of the Hebrews. He responded with, “You mean that book the Book of Mormon was plagiarized from?” I had to keep myself from smiling. He was familiar with many of the things I asked him about. The beautiful thing is that he learned about these things at church! I love the irony. I can’t imagine he is the only person to do this. At the end of the conversation I asked him if he had seen the first Matrix moving. He had. I told him that he has now taken the red pill and there is no going back. I wished him the best and told him I am always here if he needs to talk.

So, today I give honor and praise to the omniscient one – all hail Google!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 17, 2017 03:33PM

Next up:

Wi-fi in mormon churches uniformly block wikipedia.

:)

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 02:00PM

Right now this and that other board (the one with 49,000 subscribers) you can access without a problem.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: July 18, 2017 01:59AM

One would ideally bring the truth to church but it sounds like he is finding it elsewhere while there.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 08:33PM

I don't understand. What do you mean he gets "bored at church."
How could anyone get bored at Church. Every moment of Church is
so freakin' awesome that that concept of being bored at a Mormon
Church service makes no sense.

;)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.