Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: July 16, 2017 10:23AM

This is from the Washintonpost

"The researchers analyzed data on 451,743 adults, most in their early 50s at the start of the study. During the next 16 years, 41,693 people died. Those who regularly drank the most coffee were the least likely to have died. Compared with those who did not drink coffee, men who consumed three or more cups a day were 18 percent and women 8 percent less likely to have died. The risk reduction applied to both caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee consumption. Coffee drinking appeared particularly protective against death from digestive diseases (especially for men) and circulatory diseases (especially for women)...."

I just finished a long bike ride on a beautiful Sunday morning and about to have a cup or two of coffee with a late breakfast in a few minutes. A woman, who claimed she was investigating the church, posted recently on how she felt the word of wisdom was good. Tobacco is obviously a problem. Wheat causes health issues for many. Just use common sense. A relaxing bike ride, a cup of coffee and a hearty breakfast beats sitting in a dull and ill informed Mormon meeting any time. It may take her awhile to learn.

Source:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/does-drinking-a-few-cups-of-coffee-a-day-help-you-live-longer/2017/07/14/8969123c-67f5-11e7-8eb5-cbccc2e7bfbf_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-cards_hp-card-lifestyle%3Ahomepage%2Fcard&utm_term=.5145f24218ee

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 16, 2017 11:25AM

My liver enzymes were high all my adult life. Left the cult, now drink coffee, and those numbers now fall within the normal range.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 16, 2017 09:55PM

Coffee's my substitute for sugar when I'm craving sweets sometimes. It takes the edge off my cravings. That, or a nice robust cup of tea.

I have to have mine sweetened though or I can't drink it (black.) Lots of stevia and non-fat dairy creamer.

Where I live they're called a "double-double" or a "triple-triple" when ordering out. :)

Posted by: The "C" Word ( )
Date: July 16, 2017 10:26PM

I absolutely LOVE coffee, but it gives me urinary tract infections. I've also known heavy coffee drinkers who developed thyroid tumors, or fibrocycstic cysts on their face or breasts.

Drinking coffee has some benefits, but it can also create other health problems.

Date: July 16, 2017 10:37PM

I had four medical doctors tell me within the space of a year to avoid caffeine, for unrelated reasons. One of those was fibrocystic cysts.

That was during the time I was working 60 hour weeks, and became hooked on caffeine to help me get through each day. My schedule was 7 am to after midnight M-F. It was pure exhaustion.

Have tapered off on the caffeine since was able to cut back on the heavy work schedule. Now when I drink a cup is for enjoyment. Then was out of necessity.

Posted by: stellam ( )
Date: July 16, 2017 11:01PM

A urologist confirmed for me that coffee especially can aggravate interstitial cystitis... I had a bad bout ten years ago and had to quit coffee entirely for some time. Even now I can't overdo it or I feel bladder irritation.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: July 17, 2017 09:11AM

Since I've been drinking coffee, I don't seem to crave chocolate as much as I used to do. I also need a little half and half and some sugar in it.

Date: July 17, 2017 09:23AM

I'm sipping an ice cold Cherry almond mocha for a late breakfast this morning. It's very good on a summery day. (It has lots of milk in it too, since I asked the barrister to go easy on the ice.) :)

Four of the five food groups are included in this concoction: protein, dairy, coffee beans, and fruit.

Tee hee hee.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2017 09:28AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: July 17, 2017 10:04AM

That sounds delicious!!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 17, 2017 10:09AM

As some of the stories above, coffee is neither a "miracle drink" nor the root of all evil.

More than anything else, what the various experiences show is that the church's "one command fits all" approach to EVERYTHING is rather silly. No, downright stupid.

It's reasonable to make decisions *for ourselves* based on what's good for us as individuals. It's stupid to let idiots who know nothing of science or medicine insist that "god" demands we not drink coffee.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2017 10:09AM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: Paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: July 17, 2017 11:59AM

It's (cup of coffee) phenomenal comfort what with all our airway respiratory irritation waking up with high air pollution some drifting into our air basin from several summer thousands of acre coastal and inland grassland fires.

Our ancestral culture drinking cup of hot tea in the morning or hot coffee in the morning must have something that commend it. How many times did I panic wake up and panic at momentary discomfort when all I had to do was reach for a warm cup of coffee, begin to sip, and wait and let time resolve it before reached by for an over the counter pharmaceutical product. Fizzy soda iced cold early am while still carrying a temple recommend wouldn't resolve anything at 6 am except waking you up aggressively jarringly in a miserable comforting. A cup of coffee comfortably gently or even a cup of tea tremendously comforting to somewhat irritated respiratory membranes when all you did was breath. Our ancestors internationally got it right on tea or coffee waking gently. And that's good enough for me.

And today that's good enough for me. Hey did you read the article by a Chinese physician researcher who advised drinking a warm cup of tea before your feet even hit the ground in the morning! That's a new high in lifestyle comfort, I'm a working on that

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 18, 2017 11:02AM

It benefits me now.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.