Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: leslie ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 04:54PM

I would like to hear from exmormons who have transitioned to Christianity, but when they post they are often ridiculed. Why the defensiveness.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 04:59PM

From the "Guidelines" listed at the top of the messages thread:

"Mormonism is a form of Christianity and religion so, for some people, recovery from Mormonism will also include leaving Christianity or religion altogether. This does not mean that Christians or the discussion of Christianity are discouraged here. Far from it! This site is Christian-friendly. It is not, however, Christian-safe. Do not assume that everyone here will share your beliefs; other posters can and will disagree with and challenge what you say. If you decide that you need a site that is Christian-safe as well, we can recommend some places."

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 05:09PM

I think it's more a matter of loudness. People who were hurt the most are the most devout Atheists. Let them vent. They deserve it. All paths lead to God, including Atheism.

Maybe what bothers you is the culture shock. We don't coddle each other like Mormons. We just speak the brutal truth as we see it, because it's honest. It's kind of a breath of fresh air after a lifetime of spoon-fed dishonesty.

You shouldn't care so much about being accepted. Sure it feels good, but I prefer to be told I'm full of shit. At least that way I have something to work with. I can investigate my thinking and re-verify or correct.

Posted by: .... ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 05:34PM

so this is not a compassionnate site then is what you are saying...

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 05:55PM

No, babylon is still sucking the crusty religious nozzle. Take refuge in a like-minded person.

Date: July 08, 2017 06:45PM

Definitely. I'm not quite ready to stop being a two-faced asshole. However, I am done being an unconscionable two-faced asshole. That's why I'm done with the church.

If you really want to see compassion, stick around. Some of the posts here display real compassion. There are some great people here.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 11:32PM

You said you prefer to be told you're full of shit . . .

"I think it's more a matter of loudness. People who were hurt the most are the most devout Atheists. Let them vent. They deserve it. All paths lead to God, including Atheism."

So . . . I was letting you know you're full of shit.

Now you can think it over and see if your perspective needs an adjustment . . . or not.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 10, 2017 09:23AM

.... Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> so this is not a compassionnate site then is what
> you are saying...

Is it "compassionate" to not pass on knowledge to people who are ignorant of it?
Is it "compassionate" to not criticize beliefs and behavior that do real harm to real people because of superstition and/or "tradition?"
Is it "compassionate" to not speak up when demonstrably false "beliefs" are being promoted as fact, like the mormons do?

I don't think any of those things are "compassionate."
I think honesty and openness are "compassionate."
You're free to differ in your opinion, of course.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 06:43PM

Baby. U R full of it! But, I like what you say and thank you for your eloquent framing of a post!

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 09:40PM

Babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> People who were hurt the most are the most devout Atheists.
> All paths lead to God, including Atheism.
>
>
> I prefer to be told I'm full of shit.

Babyloncansuckit--You're full of shit.

I am an atheist. Raised a cat. I have many times come on this site and stated my admiration and love for the cat church. Problem is that damn Jebus/God nonsense. I love being a cat so much when the new pope came in and started talking all his love talk about atheists going to heaven and who are we to judge the gays and whatnot, I went back and gave it another shot--for a month or so. Then, on cue, they started in with the Jebus crap again and I had to blow out of there.

My path does not lead to god bc guess what, there ain't no damn god. Speak for yourself.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 05:10PM

I would like to hear from exmormons who have transitioned to Atheism, but when they post they are often ridiculed. Why the defensiveness.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: July 09, 2017 05:38PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> I would like to hear from exmormons who have
> transitioned to Atheism, but when they post they
> are often ridiculed. Why the defensiveness.

Seriously? The majority of people on this board do not believe in God-and there are few Christians so your argument is pointless.

Date: July 10, 2017 01:16PM

Do you have actually stats to back up your claim that the majority of people here are Atheist or are you just trying to play the ol' christian persecution card?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 05:11PM

Maybe most exmormons who are into Christianity are busy doing things with their Christian churches.

Maybe they don't want their evidence examined and beliefs challenged any more than Mormons do. Faith as evidence doesn't fare well in general.

Some Christians are here and well respected.

You can't expect everyone to stop using the skills they developed debunking Mormonism on other claims.

Usually the arguments Christians give to defend Christianity are the same as Mormons use (faith, personal experience, their interpretation of the Bible, etc.). So, you have to wonder why they can't apply the same reasoning to their next religion.

Hope that helped answer your question.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 05:21PM

I dunno, I tend to favor the Jedi religion.

Does that make me an atheist?

Date: July 08, 2017 05:22PM

that makes you a slacker !

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 05:22PM

Hi, Leslie! Yes, there are believers on this board of various stripes. They've joined just about every kind of church that you can think of, Catholic, Protestant, or Orthodox. Some believe in the miracle-working Jesus of the New Testament; Some in a historical Jesus. Some board members have chosen to transition to other belief systems such as Judaism or Buddhism.

There are also atheists, agnostics, and some people who don't worry about it a whole lot, or who draw their beliefs from a variety of sources.

I'm a nevermo who was raised Catholic in a mixed Catholic/Protestant family. As a youth, I would often go to church events with friends at a variety of churches. As an adult, I intermittently attended various churches, usually Protestant.

I have thought about finding a church community when I retire (my life is just too busy while I am working.) But which one? That is the question.

Are you a practicing Christian?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2017 05:24PM by summer.

Posted by: leslie ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 05:49PM

Yes I am, but I see things differently now. Mormons equate the prophets with God Many Christians seem to equate the Bible with God. I can't accept either. Both are subject to man's fallibility. I do believe in God. I have experienced too many things to doubt. I do search for the truth about God. Thank you for your comments. I understand better the focus of the group

Posted by: nomojoe ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 10:48PM

I'm an APATHEIST...which means I don't give a rat's azz about any organized 501c3, government approved, church.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 09, 2017 05:52AM

Posted by: ..... ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 05:33PM

more anti whatever is perceived to be Christian would be more accurate....

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 05:37PM

Maybe you've noticed that when people examine their LDS religious World View and find it lacking, other religions don't offer anything they want either.

For me, it was a matter of creating a new World View after changing my mind about the LDS beliefs/Christianity background I had just accepted and lived by that no longer worked for me.

There are thousands of religions in the world, Christianity in it's many forms is just one of the newer ones.

Not everyone, when creating their new World View find a need for a savior, or for religious dogma, deities, etc., and rituals.

Many misuse the term: atheist. I like the definition: takes the position of the unsubstantiated claim of a theist.

In truth, agnostic defines everyone as that term takes the position that a deity is unknowable and claims neither faith or disbelief in a deity.

As an atheist, they believe in one less deity than a theist! :-)

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 05:40PM

I think a lot of us just don't trust any organized religion.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 05:50PM

Heartless Wrote:
> I think a lot of us just don't trust any organized
> religion.

Yes. That, and some of us don't see a need for it in our lives, either. Been there, done that. Finished!

For myself -- I don't have a need for someone else to tell me what life is all about. I'm capable of figuring it out for myself!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2017 05:52PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 06:36PM

Aren't all religions MAN-MADE? Some Joe Blow says I think this and others agree and attend his "church" or religion until they disagree and splinter off to do something else. After my mind blowing experience with the LDS church I really don't want to investigate any other church to attend. I think I will just listen to Joel Osteen and his smart comments. I already feel like a true blue HEATHEN now. Making sure I sleep in past 8am so I will be late...Oh yeah I don't go to church anymore. No need as I see it. I can't grasp 'no God' yet. Man didn't create the universe or this earth and all its splendor. Something greater than you or me did. I guess I am agnostic now. I read 'Agnosticism is spirituality's smorgasbord.'

Posted by: The short answer is ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 05:46PM

Yes

Date: July 08, 2017 05:51PM

the long answer is no

Posted by: Short answer ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 06:17PM

Do you know how to read? Call of the question was addressed to Christians. I guess that morg priesthood domineering condescension is hard to shake.

Truth. Christians have fled this site in droves in part because of guys like this. Had enough of em in TSCC. Don't want em at this stage of life.

Date: July 08, 2017 09:26PM

Actually, in the OP there is nothing to indicate that the question was asked of a particular group. It was a general question asked of the full board.

Date: July 08, 2017 11:13PM

trolling gets you nowhere.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 05:54PM

There are still 'believers in God' on the board.

I often ask myself why I still visit and just not 'graduate' as I hold no strong feelings against Mormons or Mormonism. There comes a time, I believe, to 'let it go'.

However, I must be sheltered, I don't meet people like I see here on a daily basis. Maybe, if I did I would not associate with them very much.

It is somewhat 'fascinating' to me to see so many exmo 'world views' and how people try and support them.

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 05:55PM

I couldn't agree more.

Date: July 08, 2017 09:30PM

years now.

The site is made up primarily of atheists, and yes, many times they are hostile.

I'm not here to get in theological debates but if there's some way to exchange emails I'd be happy to communicate.

There are very few of us on the board.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 11:25PM

and I was shocked to see all the atheists. I had never heard anything good about atheists, but I took the time to ask them what their beliefs were. They were very considerate and I liked what I heard.

For me, I don't know anything, so I don't try to figure it out. I don't claim to be anything.

The real point is to realize that everyone is different and DO NOT PREACH on this board. That isn't what it is for. The only times I take note of the atheists attacking is when people preach. For myself, even as a mormon, I didn't like to share my beliefs as they were very personal. I was never a missionary. I still feel the same way. I come here to share my experiences where mormonism is concerned.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 11:57PM

Posted by: notmonotloggedin:"I am a Christian...been posting here on and off (now mostly off) for many years now.
I'm not here to get in theological debates but if there's some way to exchange emails I'd be happy to communicate.

---
Re. the Q, "Is this site for atheists only? Short answer: "No".

Like you, notmonotloggedin I am a Christian. What might not seem evident, is that you can be a Christian and never set your foot inside a church. That's me. (It's how one acts, not what religious title you claim.)
---

notmonotloggedin also says: "The site is made up primarily of atheists, and yes, many times they are hostile...There are very few of us on the board."

I don't know about that, notmonotloggedin. One can but speak for one's self.

It does seem that many on this site are wary of religion, having had bad experiences along this line. But (as it appears), not all of us have jumped the Christian ship.

Having said this, I have jumped the 'Mormon' ship, but not Christianity.
---

Yes, as I understand it, there is a way to get in touch with 'like-fellows' who post on this site, but I don't remember how it works. Ask our dear hard-working RfM leaders--they know everything.

Posted by: I am Julie ( )
Date: July 09, 2017 02:47AM

Hi Leslie, I am a believer , but have a huge bunch of things about Mormonism that are worrying me terribly. Many of my granddaughters friends she is (14) are doing everything they can to get her to believe in this and I have relatives in my past from SLC My best friends husband married a Mormon woman after their Divorce and this man I knew for years no longer speaks to his daughters and never has seen his grandchildren that are nearly grown.
When I try to post I have a terrible time. I don't know what I'm doing wrong , but I rarely can get my post on. I don't blame anybody being an Atheist . If I had been brought up in this I might be having real trouble myself. I don't feel very welcome here , but I do appreciate the advice I have gotten. I just wish it was easier.

Posted by: yeppers ( )
Date: July 09, 2017 09:36AM

When you are looking for real advice from other believers, you have to wade through all the many atheist replies that tell you that "there is no gawd" first...

... and sometimes, if the atheists are overpowering enough, other believers won't reply to give you any help at all.

... AND THAT'S THEIR GOAL... TO PURGE ALL BELIEVERS FROM THIS WEBSITE.

Date: July 09, 2017 09:50AM

It's the "christians are so persecuted" argument.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: July 09, 2017 09:55AM

I founded this site. It was never intended to be an atheist site. When I left Mormonism over 22 years ago, a number of Christians wanted me to find the 'True Jesus'. They were sincere, but it was uncomfortable for me. I wanted a site that could help folks recover from the Mormon experience without an agenda of advocating another religion. I have recommended to most ex-Mormons to take a year or two off religion completely, when possible, then reevaluate with a clearer mind what spiritual path to take, if any.

As admins, we do not want to have too heavy of a hand in removing posts. There are times where the atheists are a bit too vocal. The board goes through cycles. Claims made without evidence do get commented on rather harshly. That will probably never change. It is a good place to learn and try out ideas. To be in an echo chamber with everyone nodding their heads in agreement does not lead to growth. Take the opportunity to be challenged.

In any case, let's try to be a bit kinder and gentler from all perspectives.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 09, 2017 04:39PM

I appreciate that, Eric, and you generally do a good job, but there does seem to be a lot of atheists stating their beliefs as established truths and putting down believers as gullible. That is a form of proselytizing and wouldnt be tolerated from the religious.

Date: July 09, 2017 05:01PM

Tell us about these "Atheist beliefs."

I haven't seen any posts from you that do not denigrate Atheists.

You have nothing but strawmen.

Posted by: .... ( )
Date: July 09, 2017 05:23PM

says the bully....

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 09, 2017 05:36PM

Thank you. Nice of him to help make my point

Date: July 09, 2017 05:43PM

Crickets from you as usual.

Posted by: -_-_- ( )
Date: July 09, 2017 06:28PM

Says the whiner.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: July 10, 2017 12:24PM

From what I've read, Dave just speaks his truth. He doesn't resort to name calling or personal attacks. He asks questions from believers that are pointed and are rarely answered. He doesn't need you to agree with him or me to defend him.

Date: July 10, 2017 12:43PM

belief system I've seen.

If, for example, two people "of faith" decide to engage in a thread where they are discussing their beliefs and are not even arguing with one another but going back and forth, it never fails that they will be "harassed" by atheists who are determined to niggle, harangue and insult. Discussion is one thing but hurling insults is another.

I have very strong reasons to dislike Mormonism but I would not go on a Mormon discussion board and repeatedly harangue people who have expressed that they are not interested in what I have to say. That is common sense, is it not?

Why should it be any different here?

I have definitely seen an uptick in this sort of behaviour all over the internet. The Tanner's FB page,for example,is unapologetically an outreach to Mormons from a Christian perspective. Yet there are atheists that go out of their way to insert themselves in discussions where their comments are frequently not even on topic. Their motive is clearly to argue for atheism. Their main interest is to convert people to believe that atheism is "true".

For a long time I posted here under another moniker and posted my beliefs freely. There were a number of people who couldn't deal with that and took it upon themselves to harass me. They would comment on every post I made no matter how benign and worse, would frequently mischaracterize what I had posted in the past. To my shock there was one long time poster (she still posts here occasionally) who rabidly slandered (libeled?) me on another board. I had not even ever posted on this other board and only found out about what she had written when I Googled my RFM handle which was rather distinctive. There was no mistaking that she was posting about me due to some details she gave; but she then went on to lie and slander me. (This was years ago).

notmo

Date: July 10, 2017 01:11PM

This is not a Christian site, so why come here to discuss Christians beliefs? As I posted above, according to the site owner, this is a Christian friendly sight, but not a Christian safe site.

"Mormonism is a form of Christianity and religion so, for some people, recovery from Mormonism will also include leaving Christianity or religion altogether. This does not mean that Christians or the discussion of Christianity are discouraged here. Far from it! This site is Christian-friendly. It is not, however, Christian-safe. Do not assume that everyone here will share your beliefs; other posters can and will disagree with and challenge what you say. If you decide that you need a site that is Christian-safe as well, we can recommend some places."

If you want a Christian safe site, there are sites that are Christian safe.

To come to a site that explicitly states "Do not assume that everyone here will share your beliefs; other posters can and will disagree with and challenge what you say." then whine that others disagree with and challenge your beliefs is dysfunctional behavior at very best.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: July 10, 2017 01:15PM

"To come to a site that explicitly states "Do not assume that everyone here will share your beliefs; other posters can and will disagree with and challenge what you say." then whine that others disagree with and challenge your beliefs is dysfunctional behavior at very best."

notmonotloggedin's persecution complex perhaps?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2017 01:17PM by eternal1.

Date: July 09, 2017 10:25AM

yeppers Wrote:

>
> ... AND THAT'S THEIR GOAL... TO PURGE ALL
> BELIEVERS FROM THIS WEBSITE.

If that truly was their goal, they would just delete your account as soon as knew you were a believer. They would delete your post as soon as you posted something about your belief. But they do not.

The big "sin" is that they allow atheists to respond to Christian posts, which prevents this from becoming a Christian discussion board. It appears your faith is too weak to withstand reading a different perspective.

When I read this tread, most of the hostile stuff is directed at atheists.

Date: July 10, 2017 12:48PM

> The big "sin" is that they allow atheists to
> respond to Christian posts, which prevents this
> from becoming a Christian discussion board.

And in that they have surely been effective since, whether you are aware of it or not, want to admit it, or even care, this board's one outstanding characteristic to exMormon Christians is that it is "the exmo atheist board".

Nuff said.

Date: July 10, 2017 09:32AM

yeppers Wrote:
> ... AND THAT'S THEIR GOAL... TO PURGE ALL
> BELIEVERS FROM THIS WEBSITE.

*That* is exactly the kind of ridiculousness I refer to below.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 09, 2017 09:46AM

I am Julie Wrote:
> When I try to post I have a terrible time. I don't
> know what I'm doing wrong , but I rarely can get
> my post on.

I don't understand what you are saying here, I am Julie. Could you please explain your difficulty in getting your posts to post?

It should be as easy as clicking on the "Post message" button at the bottom right of your typed post's screen. Are you saying that you ARE clicking on that button, yet your posts are not posting?

You are VERY welcome here, but sometimes it is difficult for new posters to get used to the straightforwardness...and I know because I was once a newcomer and I had to go through that, too. (I have now been here almost fifteen years. :D )

Press on...it is DEFINITELY worth the effort!!!

:) :) :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2017 10:02AM by Tevai.

Date: July 09, 2017 07:00PM

Hi Julie,

I welcome you, and I'm a believer. I'm just not sure what I believe. Well I kind of do, but it keeps changing.

When I first came here, I found people overly harsh. I also had a lot of posts deleted for asking what I thought were legitimate questions. My brain was still stuck on "Mormon".

Look at all of the Atheists and ask yourself how a "religion" could create people like this out of former TBMs. Look past the victim blaming game. TSCC shredded their faith. That's actually what happened. Should I be bitter for having been robbed of so much of my youth? I could have had so much more if not programmed to self-sabotage. I could have been much happier. But, I have a deep faith that it was all for a higher reason.

I remember how hard it is. Damn, it's hard when your life pops like a bubble. It's harder when your family is still trapped. But if there's any time to keep your faith in something higher, it's now. Things will get better and the truth shall make you free.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 09, 2017 05:15PM

If I talk about something from my atheist perspective, it has nothing whatsoever to do with anyone else's beliefs.

I don't give a crap what someone else believes. It has no affect whatsoever on my own life.

I simply state my own position and people can make whatever they want out of it.

There is no atheist agenda. There are only opinions, on either side, which some people get offended by.

I wish people would quit worrying so much about what other people believe.

Date: July 10, 2017 09:20AM

leslie Wrote:
> transitioned to Christianity, but when they post
> they are often ridiculed. Why the defensiveness.

Post that contain ridiculousness can (and are) pointed out for being ridiculous.
Whether they're from atheists or christians or buddhists or anyone else.

There are numerous christians who post here who state their beliefs, explain what they do for their life, and encourage others to see if they'll work for them -- and they get no ridicule. Because they're honest and reasonable and sincere.

Take a good, honest, objective look at the posts that *do* get "ridiculed." They're almost always ones that make assertions contrary to fact, condemn other people (hypocritically, given their supposed 'faith'), preach, etc.

Once you see the difference between the christian posts that get criticism and those that don't, perhaps you'll understand the "why" behind both criticism and lack of it.

Anyone is free to post their beliefs/opinions/lack of here. All of those are free to be discussed, dissected, debated, criticized. That's how humans figure out which ideas are useful/not useful -- by openly and vigorously debating and criticizing them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2017 09:20AM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: July 10, 2017 09:30AM

leslie Wrote:
> transitioned to Christianity...

One place you could hear from them is a TV program, hosted by ex-Mormon and former bishop, Earl Erskine. He interviews former Mormons who have become Evangelical Christians. His site lists upcoming programs, and it also has an archive where you can listen to all of the past programs if you choose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2017 09:31AM by commongentile.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 10, 2017 10:35AM

I can also recommend the book, "The Mormon Mirage" by Latayne Colvett Scott. It's an interesting story of a faith transition from Mormonism to traditional Christianity along with an expose of Mormon church beliefs and practices. It was the first book that I read several decades ago when I was trying to learn about the Mormon church.

https://www.amazon.com/Mormon-mirage-former-tells-church/dp/0310389100

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 10, 2017 10:40AM

I have been on this website for years and it is filled with wonderful people, aside from some trolls of course.

I have only ever really clashed with one person and I simply choose not to interact with them.

But I do think that the only way that this world is ever going to find peace, if it is even possible, is if people stop worrying so much about what other people believe, or don't believe.

I find it interesting to share opinions, but there is a fine line to cross when people begin taking the opinions of another person into their own hearts and let it affect them. That includes my opinion, or anyone else's.

I had to learn that as one who has been bullied for her entire life. Bullies have no power over me anymore.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: July 10, 2017 12:34PM

These atheist threads just ain't the same without Steve Benson.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.