Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: June 25, 2017 02:17PM

"Findings from the new study, published in the Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging, also show that for those who are genetically at risk for developing Alzheimer’s disease, regular tea consumption may cut their risk by 86 percent."

http://www.aarp.org/health/brain-health/info-2017/drinking-tea-may-reduce-dementia-risk-fd.html?cmp=EMC-DSO-NLC-WBLTR-BRN--MCTRL-062317-F1-2217666&ET_CID=2217666&ET_RID=19790450&encparam=lYn+6/ncWgthfSSxz/vDVA==

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: June 25, 2017 02:32PM

Operative word: "may"

Sorry I don't buy it the drinking tea "may" lower risk of dementia. "dementia" is an umbrella term that covers a variety of different brain diseases associated with memory and cognition.

Posted by: Paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: June 25, 2017 05:36PM

I agree questioning the word 'may.' Additionally, effects are not specific. Clearly there would be less dementia through regular hydration (look up impact of dehydration.) Additionally variable such as: routines (ie routine food injestion, or routine liquids, or routine calibration of hydration, or even, routine glucose injestion, with slow release sugars or quantity of sugars) impacts on maintenance, may be variables indirectly assessed in the research study.

While personally, I believe, that both tea and coffee are specifically supportive to me, and others. I can agree that I believe tea and coffee make it easier to breathe ( mimic light asthma inhaler) surely that effect alone increases oxygen available despite poor air quality with fire smokes or winter haze- and that effect alone may diminish cognitive limits growing through aging. poor air quality with diminished lung capacity through one volcanoe eruption or air quality event down wind such as a fire with poor air way regulation for an asthmatic could change and diminish mental capacity through dipping blood oxygen to low levels even temporarily, but effect may be permanent.

Someone who gets up and make tea or coffee, may be the sort of to mind the fire or keep checking adequate ventilation & be the sort to avoid diminished cognitive capacity through carbon monoxide poisoning *in heating or cooking. ONe winter of that, one night of that and cognitive decline.

There are so many side of effects of life.

But I like the suggestion that someone else agrees with me, that drinking tea or coffee improves and enhances cognition. Wow I've noticed it. its just nothing like pepsi or mountain dew- I wonder what the sugar type, and quantity does to you when drinking that instead? I wonder how that much soda beverage changes our biotic does it enhance yeast or change metabolism or impact insulin? who knows but I do know, that tea and coffee seem better for me. in fact my weight gain leveled off when I stopped keeping the word of wisdom. Clothes still fit from the day I took my garments off and threw them in the kitchen trash, spent the next night drinking tea brewing it far into the night. What if, what if I had kept keeping the word of wisdom gaining set pounds a year instead of leveling off and changing my health drinking tea and coffee instead now I do not keep the word of wisdom. health impacts abound. That might have a cognitive effect.

imagine drinking soda beverages rather than tea or coffee limiting calories alone. imagine imagine. imagine impacts from high sodium content in soda on edema and lymph flow. imagine image that instead of drinking tea and coffee instead. imagine imagine it. just imagine. how does that impact your walking? moving? dancing? stretching? and how does the lack of minerals and nutrients impact the muscles calcium-magnesium balance how does this impact cramping pain and the experience in an aging body and frame with joints all attached to ligaments here in the gravity well riding the earth plane.

its just like nothing more diabolical could have been done to some than deny tea and coffee for life as a sin against all that's good- cursing their bodies to increased suffering as they surf between soda slurps, just wanting life's comforts.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 11:27AM

Paintingnotloggedin Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
> its just like nothing more diabolical could have
> been done to some than deny tea and coffee for
> life as a sin against all that's good- cursing
> their bodies to increased suffering as they surf
> between soda slurps, just wanting life's comforts.

Indeed.

Such a keen observation.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 11:30AM

Paintingnotloggedin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...on edema and lymph flow. imagine image that...

Never mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2017 11:33AM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: Tealover12345 ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 11:22AM

Yes matcha green tea powder has been linked with helping to slow the onset of Alzeheimers and dementia.

There is a full article here on it that i read: https://zengreentea.com.au/matcha-older-health/

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 07:40AM

Agreed.

It's perhaps the most robust of teas while at the same time one of the most delicate.

Love its flavor, and the energy boost I get when I drink some.

It's my favorite Japanese export. :)

The Japanese are well aware of its benefits - it's used in many of their recipes including ice cream, pastries, and Kit Kat bars.

You only need a smidgen of matcha to make a cup of tea. I buy mine bulk to use in smoothies. Can also buy it in tea bags mixed with sencha leaves, from ITO. Costco sells one of its varieties at a really good price.

Then I found another line by ITO at my local grocer's recently that's sweeter and better tasting than the other.

Matcha has become the newest 'coffee craze' in the West.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: June 25, 2017 02:54PM

I agree that the right phrase is "may" despite my subject line. I just found it interesting.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 25, 2017 04:51PM

Salvation à la Mode and a cup of tea.

Date: June 25, 2017 05:01PM

Green tea is one of the best for tea benefits. Matcha tea is the best of the green teas.

One cup of Matcha tea has the equivalent of 10 cups of green tea anti-oxidants and catechins, etc. albeit concentrated.

"When you drink matcha you ingest the entire leaf and receive 100% of the nutrients of the leaf Matcha powdered green tea has 137 times more antioxidants than regularly brewed green tea. One cup of matcha = 10 cups of regularly brewed green tea in terms of nutritional content
Matcha Source teas offer unparalleled nutrition.

Amongst its many health benefits, matcha…
Is packed with antioxidants including the powerful EGCg
Boosts metabolism and burns calories
Detoxifies effectively and naturally
Calms the mind and relaxes the body
Is rich in fiber, chlorophyll and vitamins
Enhances mood and aids in concentration
Provides vitamin C, selenium, chromium, zinc and magnesium
Prevents disease
Lowers cholesterol and blood sugar
Matcha tea is an easy and simple way to add powerful health benefits to your everyday diet."

http://matchasource.com/health-benefits-of-matcha-tea/

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 09:55AM

It also cures nearsightedness, bad breath, and pancreatic cancer.

Whoever wrote that article could get a job writing press releases for North Korean dictators. If evidence is not a requirement, you can claim anything.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: June 25, 2017 05:31PM

https://www.alzdiscovery.org/cognitive-vitality/ratings/green-tea

**Observational** studies suggest that greater green tea consumption is associated with lower dementia risk, ****but no clinical trials have tested whether green tea can prevent age-related cognitive decline or dementia******.

Our search identified:

• 2 double-blind randomized controlled trials, 1 on cognitive function and the other on acute effects of green tea extract
• 2 observational studies on the incidence of dementia and cognitive decline
• 2 observational studies on cognitive function in older adults
• 1 review on tea and cognitive health in late life
• Multiple preclinical studies

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: June 25, 2017 09:07PM

My 93 year old mother has dementia. Two parts of her brain are shrinking. Drinking water daily is essential because 70% of the brain is made up of water. I don't know about tea.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 12:04AM

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 01:54AM

There's a ton of stuff online w/re to gut health supporting mental health.

Kombucha (fermented tea) is high in probiotics which maintains healthy strains of bacteria and yeast in the gut. I drink a lot of it or I just don't digest anything, and my breath easily becomes weaponized.

Shapeshifter very graciously shared a method for making our own Kombucha.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1989894,1989924#msg-1989924

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 11:43PM

Or maybe those who are too dumb to make tea are more likely to get dementia.

Posted by: Birdman ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 07:03PM

Call me demented but I hate the taste of tea. I'm a demented coffee lover. Dementia might be useful in helping me forget what an idiot I was in belonging to the Mormon cult.

Date: June 27, 2017 08:26PM

Drinking tea regularly lowers the risk of being a mormon.
That's reason right there to drink it :)

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 11:39AM

I wish and hope. I've been drinking iced tea since 2nd grade when I went to a tubberware party with my mum and had iced tea for the first time in those pretty pastel colored tubberware glasses.'
Of course, it was sweetened. When I got older, I liked it hot too and all the different Twinnings flavours.
I only stopped drinking it for 5 years after I joined the church. I caved in after that, but only drank it at home, not in public.
Now I drink about 4 cups a day, and a cup or two of green tea.
I don't really like plain green tea though, but the Jasmine and coconut green teas are very good.
I haven't seen any improvement on my memory against others my age, who drink coffee instead

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 02:55AM

I grew up in a tea-drinking family - hot in the winter and iced in the summer - and I missed it terribly.

Ordering an iced tea in a restaurant was one of my first signs of rebellion as I was leaving the church.

Bigelow's (slight orange flavor) is my favorite.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 08:15AM

I can't believe this. If it were true, there would be almost no dementia in the UK.

My mother, a lifelong tea-drinker in the UK, has dementia...

Date: October 31, 2017 10:38AM

Matcha a derivative of green tea in its most purest form, is not known to prevent dementia or Alzheimers Disease. It is renowned for helping to slow the advance of it.

From link posted above by Tea_Lover, the following, "Alzheimer’s and Dementia: The main antioxidant in matcha green tea powder is EGCG. Studies have shown that EGCG helps counteract memory loss, which is caused by plaque deposits, in people with Alzheimer’s. When you consume matcha, you consume all the antioxidants in the tea leaf – therefore, matcha drinkers consume much higher levels of EGCG."

Sorry about your mother. One of my Jewish cousins mother passed away from dementia last year, in the UK. She was one of the Kindersport orphans transported there from Germany during WWII by her family so she wouldn't be murdered like her parents and grandparents were.

She lived to around 93, but with dementia the quality of her life was not good. She was loved and missed of course by all who knew her.

Date: October 31, 2017 11:14AM

Soft Machine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't believe this. If it were true, there would
> be almost no dementia in the UK.
>
> My mother, a lifelong tea-drinker in the UK, has
> dementia...

As of 2015, the US had a rate of 45.58 dementia cases per 1,000 people.
The UK, the same year, had a rate of 24.35 per 1,000. Almost half of the US rate.

Is tea one of the factors in the UK's half-the-US-rate?
Got me. It's possible.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 11:24AM

Date: October 31, 2017 11:31AM

I should note, Tom, that lots of other countries have rates in the 5's and 4's. So even a 24 rate isn't much to crow about.

Then again, life expectancy in most of the low-rate countries is much lower, on average about 60 years old (compared to uppers 70's in the US and UK). So they might not usually live long enough to develop dementia.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could have longer lives and barely-there dementia rates? Maybe some day.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 08:40AM

I have two questions: Does green tea have caffeine?
Does de-caffeinated tea have the same health benefits?

My mother was very bright and intelligent, to the end, and she lived to be 95. She was the daughter of a member of the First Presidency, and was the Ward RS Pres, the Stake RS pres, the Primary Pres, etc. Our family roots are in England, and Mom loved the tradition of drinking tea. The doctors in our family always recommended drinking tea for good health.

I was married to an abusive TBM, (my parents didn't know about the beatings) and my mother would fly into town for a visit, and stay at a lovely hotel on the beach. She would have me up to her room, and we would drink "Constant Comment", that had the orange flavor, and we would talk and laugh together. Whenever I'm feeling lonely or sad, the aroma and flavor of "Constant Comment" comforts me, more than anything else--even more than chocolate.

Date: October 31, 2017 10:58AM

Green tea has caffeine. Black and green teas have app half the caffeine as a cup of coffee.

De-caffeinated teas don't have as many anti-oxidants as the caffeinated ones do. So although you'll reap some benefits from drinking them, not as much as the caffeinated kind.

I'm maybe the only tea drinker that I know of in my family. But I like it, especially matcha green tea since my trip to Japan three years ago when I first learned about it. I've been sipping it since.

Matcha doesn't have to be expensive if you comparison shop. ITO is the best merchant I've found so far for quality, Japanese matcha - whether at Costco (@ Costco its the Kirkland brand,) at my grocer's or their own Matchalove website. Beware of other merchants who'll buy from ITO then mark up their prices to extort higher fees. That's a ripoff.

Ito's matcha you can prepare hot or cold brew using the same tea bag. That's the only tea I'm aware of you can do that with cold water.

A cup of warm tea calms me too. On cold, rainy nights or snowy days especially. I like some of the flavored varieties myself. Chai is one - some of them have cinnamon and orange spices mixed in together. There's some nice Christmas ones with cloves and cherry blended in. One from France was so good (the Joyeux Noel,) I ordered it 2-3 Christmases in a row while my children were growing up.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 11:26AM

Tommy would have been so much better off with tea than with Diet Pepsi.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.