Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 25, 2017 01:09PM

I hope I don't give mormon bigwigs any ideas.
============================================

Hemant Mehta writes ...
===============================

"The Church of England is making it a lot easier for you to give them money. Gone is the anonymity of a collection plate. Now they’re passing around contactless credit card readers so your money can be zapped right into the Church’s bank account.
======================

The Financial Times reports:
"Starting this summer, around 40 churches will be equipped with handheld terminals to process card payments — up to the value of £30 — with a view to offering the system to every diocese next year.

The Church trial will test the practicalities of various methods of use, from offering the card reader as an option alongside the collection plate to installing a terminal at the back of the church as a “retiring collection”. To save time, parishioners are likely to be asked to choose between three common donation amounts, though they can give more by selecting “other” and tapping in an amount."
=======================

I suppose it makes sense from their perspective. People don’t always carry cash anymore, and even when they do, if the denomination is too high, they’re not about to part with it.
At the same time, when people aren’t looking at the actual physical dollars leaving their hands, it’s more likely that they’ll give more money via credit card, even if there is a cap on how much the church will take.
And the new system makes it a lot easier for the Church to know who’s giving them money and how much. (You think they won’t use that system against the parishioners in the future?)
At least it’s slightly less shameless than the megachurch pastor asking people for their bank account numbers so he can take the money directly…

Ironically, the Church of England said in 2009 that people shouldn’t use credit cards at all when Christmas shopping because “it is easy to get into serious levels of debt.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 08:15PM

You keep mentioning "collection plates"....I was under the impression that tscc didn't use said collection plates; that you pay your tithing at a "tithing settlement" with the bishop?

Date: June 27, 2017 12:12AM

The article is not about TSCC.

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 12:23AM

Yet... I wouldn't be too surprised if TSCC picks up on this, if it's a success.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 09:06AM

They want your bank info, route numbers, birthstones and baby phones, ill-gotten ignorance, insurance issues, and electronic (e-cash) pick-pocket particulars.

https://www.lds.org/help/support/finance/online-donations?lang=eng

Donating to the Ward Missionary Fund

Missionaries and their families make sacrifices to provide financial support for missionary work. They are asked to contribute a specified amount in support of missionary work. Nevertheless, contributions to ward missionary funds remain subject to the Church’s discretion and control and are not legally designated or earmarked for any particular missionary but are pooled to equalize funding for missionaries not supported by the General Missionary Fund.

To donate to the Ward Missionary Fund, click Select a missionary.

From the drop-down list, select the name of the missionary.
Enter your donation amount in the blank highlighted field next to your selection.
Donating Funds to the Ward Missionary Fund in Other Wards or Branches

To donate to a Ward Missionary Fund in another ward or branch, click Select a missionary, and then click Missionary in Other Ward or Branch.

Enter the ward or branch number, and click Continue. For help in getting a ward or branch number, click How to get a Ward or Branch Number.
From the drop-down list, select the name of the missionary.
In the blank highlighted field next to the missionary's name, enter the amount you wish to donate.
Specifying Other Donations

To donate to one of the other five donation categories (Book of Mormon, Temple Construction, Perpetual Education, Temple Patron Assistance, or Priesthood Restoration Site), click Select a category...

Q23. Why do I see missionaries in the Ward Missionary Fund drop down that have been home for months?

A23. Please let your ward or branch clerk know so he can take appropriate action.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 11:01AM

You can start using online donations to pay your tithing and other offerings by navigating to donations.lds.org or by going to the My Account and Ward menu on LDS.org at the top right corner of the page. Click My Account and Ward and then the Donations link under the My Ward section. You will be prompted to use your LDS Account username and password to access the system.

The Donation Process
Step 1: Make a Donation (donations.lds.org )
To make a donation, click in the blank field and enter the donation amounts just as you would on a paper donation slip. For example, enter your tithing amount next to “Tithing.” With the field highlighted, enter the amount you want to donate. Repeat this step for each category in your donation. When you are finished, click Next Step.

Q4. Can I use a credit or debit card to make an online donation?

A4. No, all online donations require the use of an electronic funds transfer (EFT) from your checking [discount].

Q21. Where can I donate my tithing and other offerings online?

A21. You can go directly to donations.lds.org, or you can go to LDS.org, click My Account and Ward at the top right of the page, and then click the Donations link under the My Ward section. or savings account.

The Church Online Donations website will be rolled out to congregations in the US throughout 2015, and the Church will notify local leaders when it is available in their area. © undefined

And for those with a friend or family member serving a mission, the website allows anyone with an LDS Account — Church member or not — to donate to help financially support that missionary.

For Latter-day Saints, tithing is a natural and integrated aspect of their religious belief and practice. By the biblical definition, tithing is one-tenth, and Church members interpret this as a tenth of their “increase,” or income, annually. It is paid on the honor system. No one asks to see income statements or pay slips.

Tithes and other charitable donations help the Church carry out its mission of spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ, caring for the poor and strengthening members’ faith and commitment to Jesus Christ.

Mormon Life hacker (is that for morons who smoke LDSmokes?)
UPDATE (PLEASE READ): We’ve been contacted by the Church Donations Department and asked to remove the links to the Electronic Donation Information form, among other things. This method of payment apparently wasn’t intended to be used by the general membership of the Church.

If you are currently or are interested in paying your tithing through this method, please contact the Church Donations Department by calling 801-240-2554 or emailing donations@ldschurch.org to see if you can continue/start using this method.

Thanks, The MLH Team

50 East North Temple Street Room 1521 Salt Lake City, UT 84150

Phone: 801-240-2554

https://www.easytithe.com
Over 7,000 churches trust their online giving to easyTithe

Churches using easyTithe see an average increase in overall donations of 32%

easyTithe was built for the church, by the church. We are dedicated to providing easy-to-use online donation tools that pack a punch when it comes to features. With multiple ways and means to accept, track and manage donations, easyTithe provides more tools than any other giving provider.

Date: June 27, 2017 11:06AM

I couldn't tell what that was supposed to be.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 07:28AM

If you're looking for bad ideas, how about making employer paycheck deductions for ten percent tithing, a requirement to get a temple recommend? Your employer could deduct the money and send it to the church, the same way they do the United Way (charity) paycheck deductions.

Then they could require you to bring your tax returns with you to your tithing settlement meeting. If you are short on paying your tithing bill, then you either write a check on the spot, or hand over your temple recommend, on the spot.

Another idea would be for the church to have you file a tithing return form with them. There are a lot of guillable church members out there who would fill out the form and turn it in to the church by the appointed deadline each year. The church could issue deductions for things like supporting a missionary in the field, and impose penalties on things like cigarettes and alcahol. A part of the form could be a legally binding credit application to the church, to extend you credit at a reasonable interest rate to meet your tithing obligations.

Lastly, at the tithing settlement meeting, the church could have you sign under penalties of perjery that your donations are ten percent of your income. They could impose IRS-type penalties and interest if you're late paying what you 'owe'.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2017 07:38AM by azsteve.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.