Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 05:02PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 05:06PM

And neither was the former US Hwy 666.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 05:20PM

It IS a creepy drive, though. Lots of dead bodies and dead dogs all up and down the 666 (Now the 491). :,( I had to drive by myself through there once a month for about a year. It makes you wonder how many missing people are buried out there in the lonely desert.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 05:07PM

yes and no.

next question.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 05:32PM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 05:17PM

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 05:45PM

I love driving the Great Basin Highway--beautiful scenery, some quaint towns, and zero traffic. Just stay away from the brothels and slot machines and you'll be fine!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 11:11AM

Posted by: burnt toast ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 11:42AM

Why stop there?

Date: June 26, 2017 07:21PM

Nope!

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 06:16PM

I drove it years ago with my sister, and the only thing I remembered was being bored. Not much to look at, and I had to drive most of the time.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 06:17PM

No, it's not. But, Hwy 50 to Ely? Whole different matter....

Date: June 24, 2017 06:32PM

Yeah, I love that road, too! If you drive US-50 from Carson City to Ely, you can get "passports" at some of the small towns and a letter from the governor at the end congratulating you on driving the loneliest road in America.

I like it because it's the way the West was before all the people, development, and smog. The landscape is dry, but there's also pine forests in the higher elevations and things to stop and do along the road.

In many parts, there isn't cell service, but get your vehicle checked and let folks know you'll be on the road. Most important, enjoy! The Boner.

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 06:29PM

Without air conditioning, at least, which is how our family got to travel across Nevada back when, I thought it was hot, dry, and boring. Some people see beauty and love it. Not creepy.

Highway 666---beautiful scenery. Lots of fatalities due to drinking; it's illegal to have alcohol on the Rez; there at least used to be bars along the edge; people would get drunk, and in cold weather, then go lie down on the warm asphalt and get run over. There's poverty evident, too. But the scenery is beautiful.

Tony Hillerman, who has received a reward from the Navajo Nation for his accurate portrayal of Navajo culture, wrote a beautiful thing in one of his novels (re what I think of as poverty vs what someone else might)

There's a home that's been abandoned because supposedly someone died in it, and that's Navajo traditional culture. This is the key to the mystery being solved---because they would have built a brush arbor for the person to die in outside; the location of the home (Hogan) was too good to lose; It has a beautiful view AND easy access to water. I just love that! =)

Date: June 24, 2017 06:33PM

Route 666 has been re-named. Not because of the "mark of the beast." But, people stole the road signs because of the 666. The Dark Metal Boner.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 06:36PM

Yup. Even had a medicine man bless the highway. I don't think it helped, though.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 07:18PM

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 08:00PM

Well I innocently rode up 666 on my Honda 305 back in 67 in the middle of summer.

I was headinging to Provo from Lordsburg NM and wouldn't ya know it, a bit further up the road just outside of Moab my engine had a heat sizure and died.

After it cooled down I restarted and made my way onward with wheezing pistons and finally made it to Provo after dark.

I absolutley knew the Lard was with me all the way.

Date: June 24, 2017 08:34PM

Shummy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well I innocently rode up 666 on my Honda 305 back
> in 67 in the middle of summer.

Easy Rider!!

Date: June 24, 2017 11:20PM

Not to be attempted without extra gas and water.

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 12:35AM

Oh, yeah. My family always carried a full five-gallon container of water on those trips across Nevada. And you never pass a town without buying gas; the towns are too far apart to skip one!

Date: June 26, 2017 07:28PM

It's about 70 miles southward to the next town. South of Ely, there are some very long stretches before the town of Panaca. From Panaca (a really nice small town) there are two other small towns to get gas. Afterwards, it's a long (but desert-pretty) stretch until US-93 merges with I-15 about 20 miles north of Las Vegas. The wind-in-his-hair Boner.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 12:41AM

Anon 2,

Sure it's haunted. But they only come out at night.

If you travel by day, you'll be fine. ;-)

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 09:06AM

It isn't the same stretch of highway that J. Golden Kimball was killed on, is it?

Date: June 26, 2017 07:30PM

Possibly, but as a tribute to J. golden, please use lots of questionable language as you drive.

Date: June 27, 2017 07:50PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2017 07:54PM by caffiend.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.