Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gannosu ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 11:02AM

I've become interested in the process of what is actually a church belief in the use of temple secret names and the calling forth from the grave by use of the secret names. Does anyone have a solid reference to this process in church literature? I'm wondering if this is just a myth or an actual official belief. I've heard it all my life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Northern_Lights ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 11:25AM

In 1857, Mormon Apostle Erastus Snow, declared:

“Do you uphold your husband before God as your lord? ‘What! – my husband to be my lord?’ I ask, Can you get into the celestial kingdom without him? Have any of you been there? You will remember that you never got into the celestial kingdom without the aid of your husband. If you did, it was because your husband was away, and some one had to act proxy for him. No woman will get into the celestial kingdom, except her husband receives her, if she is worthy to have a husband; and if not, somebody will receive her as a servant” (Journal of Discourses 5:291).

I am sure there are other sources but this was one I found....

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 11:57AM

They must say something about it in the temple. I was taught that all my life. I thought I was going to get a super special name that God himself had chosen for me. It was one of the things I LOOKED FORWARD TO all my life. Imagine my shock when they gave me the name Lucy. I knew right then that something was wrong. And my ex said, "WHAT?" when I gave him my name at the veil.

I wasn't always thrilled about my own name, which is Colleen. I like it a lot better now than I did as a kid. I knew no one but older ladies with my name (and now I'm an older lady). But Lucy. My "earthly parents" had a much better name for me than God did! Wow! Obviously my parents knew me better than God did.

I found out later in life that I was named after one of my mother's best friends. I don't know why I didn't put 2 and 2 together when I was younger. That made the name a lot more special.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 12:19PM

They're known for doing exhaustive, credible and well documented research on "anti-Mormon" topics. Here's a link to their page entitled "How the LDS Husband Hopes to Resurrect His Wife According to the LDS Temple Ceremony:"

http://www.utlm.org/onlineresources/resurrectwife.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2017 12:19PM by lurking in.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 12:25PM

My secret name was "Victoria". God must like British names. I immediately thought of "Victoria's Secret". My husband said he always dreamed of having slave-I told him, "not with a Valkyrie, you won't"! :-D

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 02:03PM

Luckily the husbands can then peruse the available single ladies and perhaps get an upgrade before calling forth their own wife whom they may or may not call. Can't believe the women in my family are okay with all of this.

And since there will be thousands of women with the same name, Lucy, Hulda, or Zippora . . . how does the husband find his own property? It's almost like no one thought this through.

I sometimes wonder if the Mormons court the bad press on their treatment of gay people as a way to distract from the really serious issue of the disgusting way they treat women and that the women allow it. It's easy to brainwash the men because they get their ego stroked and get the better end of the deal. Why is it so many women are so accepting of their second and third class status?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 03:51PM

"...how does the husband find his own property?"
Oooooo....ouch! Excellent point.

I've asked this twice before, to no avail. Perhaps the third time's the charm:

I heard, or read, a long time ago that Brigham Young scolded or threatened his wives by telling them, that upon the resurrection, he would call some and not others. "Rise, Eliza! Rise, Anne! Stay, Mary! Stay, Hannah! Rise, Jane!" And so on.

Did anybody ever hear this story, and if possible can you source it? I'd love it if it were true, and could be authenticated.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 06:35PM

She'll be the one wearing the green apron!

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 03:10PM

Yeah, no kidding. I go back to the question, how do you ask a fish what it's like to be wet?

How do you ask someone who is thoroughly enculturated/brainwashed what it's like not to be?

You have to have something to compare with.

(Y'all who have left the morg and are living happy, satisfying lives, contributing positively to the communities provide possible comparison for others---consider it seed sown, because being willing to make changes for any reason is a process, and there's a lot to lose, as well as gain. So not understanding why anyone would stay---hey, I don't understand, and it's part of my life too, bigtime---I think there are lots of reasons, and the heart gets impatient sometimes. sigh.)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 04:09PM

We were all taught this doctrine for the years we were in the mormon church and it's part of the temple ritual.

Date: June 24, 2017 04:56PM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We were all taught this doctrine for the years we
> were in the mormon church and it's part of the
> temple ritual.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I heard the same thing but I've never been to the temple.

Date: June 25, 2017 08:56AM

This makes a nice little story about the husband calling the wife or wives from the grave for resurrection but then I think, what are they calling from the grave, the bones. The spirit, according to LDS belief is already somewhere else so just what are they calling out of the grave. Somehow I see something wrong with this story.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: June 25, 2017 12:19PM

Yeah, talk about something horrifying to see at the cemetary!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 25, 2017 12:47PM

Yeah, it sounds like some kind of Thriller video with zombies coming out of the ground, responding to the husband's song.

My parents are buried in SLC (the town of their roots). I remember my mom (a fountain of ridiculous Mormon brain farts) saying she was glad they would be buried where the prophets are buried. That way, on the morning of the resurrection, they would know what they are supposed to do. (Gag - followers for eternity.)

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: June 25, 2017 12:54PM

gannosu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
... what are they
> calling from the grave, the bones. The spirit,
> according to LDS belief is already somewhere else
> so just what are they calling out of the grave.
> Somehow I see something wrong with this story.

Emily Dickinson wrote:

Safe in their Alabaster Chambers -
Untouched by Morning -
and untouched by noon -
Sleep the meek members of the Resurrection,
Rafter of Satin and Roof of Stone -

Isn't it the case that LDS teachings are that at the time of the resurrection, the spirit, who has been dwelling in the spirit world since death, goes to the cemetery where his or her body has been buried and reunites with it? And at that time Heavenly Father (or someone or something) transforms the corpse into a glorified body. (But it is the same body that was buried, only now it is glorified.) But what happens to a female at the time of the resurrection who is not called forth from her grave by her husband?

At any rate, when I was in Mortuary College there were quite a few Returned Missionaries in my class, and I used to sometimes joke with them during embalming lab that we were preparing the dead folks we were working on for the resurrection!

Sometimes I imagine what that glorious day will be like in cemeteries all over the world -- caskets erupting from the earth and their lids opening, revealing reanimated glorified forms coming forth, and with other resurrected folks climbing down from their mausoleum crypts and embracing their fellow resurrected loved ones! :-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2017 08:04PM by commongentile.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.