Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Curry ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 09:29AM

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/06/mormon-genetic-testing/530781/

I don't know how to put in an active link but this was interesting. Mormon genealogy helped identify a gene for colon cancer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 11:05AM

That is very interesting, and promising research.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 11:14AM

So if your insurance company knows you have the gene, they can raise your rates. I think I won't be sending any DNA to Ancestry dot com.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 11:38AM

Is this the existing practice for insurance companies?

Also, wouldn't this information be kept confidential as to the identities of participants for research purposes? Seems like it would violate all sorts of HIPAA regulations were insurance companies to get access to these records.

Posted by: Anon for this one ( )
Date: June 25, 2017 01:38AM

I carry the genes for a kidney disease that sounds similar. By the time you learn that you have it, you have already passed it to your children. I will carry the guilt for that to my grave.

To be fair, I did ask my doctor if the disease could be passed on to future children. But at the time I asked, I didn't know the name of the specific disease, so the doctor had no way to access the information. At that time, I didn't even know what a nephrologist was - but that was the person I should have asked.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.