Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 09:04AM

"Officers with the Mapleton Police Department arrested a man Wednesday on reports of sexually abusing two underage boys....Hughes was booked into Utah County Jail on suspicion of 20 second-degree felonies of forcible sexual abuse, one second-degree felony of sexual exploitation of a minor, one third-degree felony of dealing in materials harmful to a minor, and one third-degree felony of tampering with a witness.

Police reports state Hughes is a bishop of a ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and was at the time of the reported abuse."

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/lds-bishop-arrested-by-mapleton-police-on-reports-of-sexually/article_e3545f6c-2cf4-5e06-be82-56a8b7fa282b.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slayermegatron ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 09:09AM

Another inspired calling...

Date: June 23, 2017 09:09AM

Sorry, I didn't realize Memikeyounot linked the article as well:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1989178

Posted by: Secular Priest ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 09:26AM

Young people may start to come forward more often. I am so glad that I am not a leader of youth in the church. Cases like this will start to make people question leaders.

This man has a right to a trial but it makes me sick.

I think all church leaders like Bishops and higher plus leaders of youth should have a police background check. As a teacher I have to submit a police check before accepting any teaching position. It includes finger printing.

Date: June 23, 2017 09:41AM

>>Young people may start to come forward more often.

This may be the silver lining. I'm glad that the first young man felt comfortable in coming forward once he gained a few years in maturity and realized what had happened to him. And I'm glad that the second young man refused to be intimidated by the bishop, and also came forward.

Posted by: C ( )
Date: July 04, 2017 10:40PM

It sounds like this happened over a number of years. There may be more victims. I wonder if the bishop enjoyed listening to confessions especially when they were very detailed.

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: July 04, 2017 11:35PM

I find it disturbing that these predators are willing to drug their victims. Depending on the drug, the age of the victim, medications that the victim is also taking, etc, this could lead to a respiratory or cardiac arrest of the victim.

Drugging someone is not some simple, low risk activity. Anethesiologists and other doctors who sedate patients as part of their work go through extensive training, have life saving equipment and plan the sedation carefully.

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: July 04, 2017 11:53PM

I hope all the stories of sex predators in the cult are made public. It may make the Catholic Church's history of sexual assault look small by comparison.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 05, 2017 03:30AM

inspiration Failure.
It's nothing short of tragic how the GAs discount the damage leaders are sustained to have position to do, often undetected for long times.

It's the SYSTEM!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2017 03:38AM by GNPE.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 05, 2017 12:31PM

How sad for this creep's victims. I hope they lock him up good and tight for as long as possible.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: July 05, 2017 08:57PM

Maybe putting such as this pervert in stocks in the public square, isn't such a bad idea.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.