Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kingbrigham ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 06:59PM

In 2000, Belgium had 26 units (wards and branches).  The number had declined to 16 by the end of  last year, and another five units were recently closed, leaving the country with 11 units all together.  The number of baptisms since 2000 has averaged about 60 per year.

Blogger Matt Martinich (http://ldschurchgrowth.blogspot.com) describes the situation in Belgium as follows:

"Decades of few convert baptisms, convert retention problems, an emphasis on improving the efficiency and usage of LDS meetinghouses, and focus for Latter-day Saints to have greater opportunities for socialization with fellow members at church have primarily motivated the closure of congregations ...."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 08:40PM

There seems to be a Catch-22 within Mormonism. They work hard to get investigators interested in Mormonism. They get them to think they are the greatest thing since Jesus Christ. Unfortunately, when someone gets excited about something new these days they go straight to the internet to learn all they can about it and connect with those who are also thinking about Mormonism. Ooops!

It used to be that LDS,Inc. was just about the only way to learn anything about Mormonism. At least that's how it was in the era I was converted. I knew absolutely nobody who had the smallest bit of knowledge about Mormonism. Therefore, I just kept listening to the Mormons and didn't figure out they were scamming me for a long, long time.

If you want to keep the flow of information coming from just one single source these days you have to take away the smart phone, the iPad, the blog sites, etc. Just no way LDS, Inc. is going to accomplish that. Yahoo! That's why the last bastion of conversion is the poor, the isolated, the mentally disabled, and those from countries without, or limited, media and internet access. As the aging bedrock of Mormonism retire and pass from this life, it will be interesting to see who rises to the level of leadership when drawing from the incoming slate of converts.

It may be slow but it seems implosion is the only logical outcome for the future of Mormonism.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 09:19PM

"It may be slow but it seems implosion is the only logical outcome for the future of Mormonism."

I think we might reasonably expect stagnation to occur first. Perhaps we are in the early stages of that state right now.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.