Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AWanderer ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 03:10PM

I have some vacation time off this upcoming week. Just this last year I left the church. This may seem Like a stupid and naive question but are there any places that are decently priced and aren't very hot in June.

I don't know if it is all the many times I sat in a stifling chapel or rooms filled with ladies dosed in perfumes or the hot "modest" multi-layered clothes I had to wear growing up, but whenever I travel to warm places or when I get too hot I feel sick. Physically and emotionally. It is something I am working on getting over. It's just like I was stuffed into so much. Well most of you might get this without me going into great detail.

Maybe it's a pipe dream but I'm looking for somewhere to stay that has decent prices for how saying and is relatively cool. I even feel dumb asking but I literally did not get to travel anywhere but Church sites and such growing up. I'm glad I woke up to the real world, but sad it is a little later in my life.

I am willing to travel internationally. I just don't know where to go as I've only left the country one time and it was last year. Yay for being in the bubble of Utah!!

I know it might be relatively hard to find a cheap place that is not over 75 degrees.

Honestly I don't have anyone to ask or I wouldn't use the board to inquire. I know there are a lot of awesome people on here from various countries. I haven't really spoken much on here but I have found your suggestions helpful in many ways when I lurk.

Anyone I ask in Utah says to go to Disneyland which is my personal version of hell.

I'm not looking for that kind of crowd or chaotic environment. Also they say go to Temples. Ugh!!

Is it really that hard to get a "normal" suggestion? I also realize it is nutty travel time with schools out and summer starting.

Thanks in advance for any input. I really do appreciate it and hope to someday meet some of you and make new friends and this new process.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 04:00PM

Seattle.

Use the "hotel tonight" app, and get really good prices on really good hotels. Tons of great food and coffee. Lots to see and do. And very mild weather (it's 67F there today, with clear skies!).

Just a suggestion :)

Posted by: Lost in Utah ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 04:28PM

I'm currently in Pinedale, Wyoming and it's been in the low 70s and beautiful. Not far to the Tetons and Yellowstone, yet surrounded by gorgeous mtn ranges. Not terribly expensive, either.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 04:31PM

Stay away from central Arizona!!! 13 wildfires--no rain--100 degrees +--

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 04:44PM

1. Doing home teaching and visiting teaching.
2. Doing a moonlight job so I can afford tithing.
3. Doing another moonlighting job so I can afford the extra kids. Since birth control is such a grave sin the number of the young ones that come along are more than I can handle but that's God's decision.
4. Go do my genealogy research. I really don't care to waste time trying to understand the culture/history of my ancestors/relatives. I just need to get the basic info for the TempleReady program so their work can be done.
5. Go visit some of the new temples that have been put into operation.
6. Go do plenty of extra chapel cleaning assignments at the chapels in my Stake.
7. Go do an extra session at the temple to fervently pray that DCFS doesn't take the kids away due to me neglecting them because of this one and all of the above.
8. Go visit my kids at their foster parents in case DCFS does take them away. Those stupid worldly laws about taking care of kids. Its a vitally important doctrine that when they are age 8 they are old enough to be accountable for big decisions like baptism and the lifelong commitments involved. So why does DCFS get all upset if the parents are nowhere to be found and those kids at age 8 get prompted by their Holy Ghost gift that they need to go play on the freeway during the middle of the night or hide out in the trunk of a locked car when its 120 degrees outside. Don't they understand if the parents are at the temple scrubbing the Lord's temples?
9. Some of the ideas suggested on this thread may sound nice. But honestly there is no time to think of such things as it will be hard enough to do these things.

Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 03:23AM

It's not funny. Not even satirical. It's a waste of bandwidth and please, PLEASE stop.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 06:48PM

It's funny how obsessed with disneyland Mormons are. It is hot and crowded there during the summer.

Anyway, my suggestion would be somewhere along the California coast: Monterey, Carmel, Mendocino, etc.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 11:02AM

Last year my wife and I visited northern California. I made a mistake of only booking one night in Mendocino California as we bummed around. We should of stayed longer. We rented a place on a cliff overlooking the bay. Cool weather. Small quaint restaurants and a beautiful drive along the coast. The coast of Oregon is similar and recommended. We live in Tennessee so the cool weather there in northern CA felt great. It can be a bit pricey so shop around. Anyways, just a suggestion.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 01:37PM

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I'm in the foothills in Northern California where it gets really hot and I love any excuse to go to the coast. :-)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 07:52PM

Las Vegas is my personal idea of going to hell. DisneyLand is second.

If you want cheaper/cooler/less crowded, travel in April or May. September or October are also nice. If you have school age children, that doesn't work so well, but eventually...

Seattle, British Columbia, Alberta are all nice and generally cool this time of year. You can go urban or mountain in all three places. It is not quite peak season yet, but close.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 08:38PM

Lake Constance. The German side has reasonably priced food and lodging. The area is beautiful. The Alps aren't far away.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 10:09PM

June is still better than July or August.

San Francisco and the Northern California coast, to Carmel and Big Sur. Foggy beaches are common in June.

Oregon coast is cool, too.

Seattle, and Olympic Park, and drive into Canada.

The Eastern Seaboard is too humid and hot, IMO. The coast of Maine is lovely, though.

My cousin's family goes to Finland every summer. They say that they can rent a lake house for cheap.

June is mosquito season in Alaska and Yellowstone--otherwise, the climate is on the cool side.

We used to have a summer cabin in Gallatin National Forest, in Southern Montana, on a lake. Almost every afternoon, we had a refreshing, crazy-wild thunder storm for 45 minutes, and then it would clear up, for late afternoon water skiing on glassy water, and a beautiful sunset. (Yellowstone Park and Jackson are too crowded and touristy. Try Glacier, if you want a National Park)

Posted by: AWanderer ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 01:57AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'll have to get more during November.

I was thinking of Seattle area so that's good, as are many others here.

Like I said, this board is great. I love the variety of answers you get and how others are willing to listen/help. It is very appreciated!

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 02:11AM

The Pacific Northwest is where you want to be.

Try to get a rental house or hotel right on the beach in Oregon or Washington. My favorite is Manzanita Oregon.

There are a lot of coastal places in Washington with that perfect weather, but the Oregon beaches are sandy vs. rocky and so are nicer. Long beach Wa. is sandy, but the water is also a LOOOONG way from a restroom. If you have a travel trailer it's a fabulous place to park it during the day, but have to have a campground for at night.

Don't care about the ocean? (I can't imagine) There are a lot of places in western Oregon and Washington to go and still have great weather.

Are you looking for family/ self/ or couple? There are some great romantic get aways on the islands in Wa.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2017 02:14AM by janis.

Posted by: slayermegatron ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 04:06AM

If you are looking to escape I would suggest visiting somewhere in Asia. I always suggest visiting China, but I may be a bit biased because I live here. Japan is a great place to visit, and the people are very helpful. There is something liberating about visiting a place so different from home.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 10:29AM

Go to Evanston Wyoming to buy fireworks and liquor.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 07:18PM

I just got back from Ireland, very cool climate and easy on the budget. Also, the best Pubs (Dublin) I've ever been too.

Posted by: LeftTheMorg ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 11:19PM

Poland, Ukraine, Slovakia are very nice this time of year and prices are cheap!

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: June 25, 2017 12:30AM

Camano Island Wa. is a well kept secret. I hesitate to let the cat out of the bag.

There's a fabulous little hotel that overlooks the water and Olympic mountains. No kids allowed. They have great rooms, and fabulous food.

There's a restored cabin type place right on the beach and straight out of the 50's. You get a row boat with your cabin rental.

There's also a State park. Tents or travel trailer. It's right on the beach.

Dungeness crab season starts July 2nd. You will need a boat and some crab pots. This is where the Cabins may be a good deal. Be sure to load the crab pots with turkey legs. IDKW, but crabs love turkey legs. You can buy them cheap at the local IGA.

There are also houses and cabins for rent on the island. Windermere realtors may be able to help you out with that.

Whidbey Island Wa. is just a short jaunt away, and has the same if not more vacation options. Their Island is bigger and has more amenities. It just depends on how much you want to 'get away', how much $ you are willing to spend, and how far you want to travel. If you have kids it's a whole different recommendation then it would be for a couple.

Just promise me you won't move here :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2017 12:33AM by janis.

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 11:14PM

Seattle would be my go to. Dunno about prices for you because there is something for every budget.

There is beautiful scenery, cool weather, gorgeous Bay, lovely cultural and dining scene, hiking trails, fishing, etc.

You can also drive up the coast and go to Vancouver, CAN, which is one of the most lovely cities in my opinion with a rich and varied culture.

Happy Travels,
RMM

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 01:14AM

I have a suggestion for time travel. Go back to the tar and feathers incident and don't let them chicken out on the castration.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.