Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 02:12PM

“I want to be a voice for those that might be positive,” Savannah’s mother Heather remembers her saying. “I want them to know that I’m an ally. That they’re safe with me. I want them to know that it’s OK to be Mormon and be gay.”

The NYT references the November announcement by the church that the children of gay couples cannot be baptized until they turn 18 and renounce their parents' marriage or relationship.

https://nytlive.nytimes.com/womenintheworld/2017/06/21/12-year-old-mormon-girl-comes-out-to-her-church-congregation/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 02:13PM

Excellent.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 03:18PM

Poetic Justice for the Morg...

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 04:04PM

It's OK to be gay.
It's not OK to be mormon. :(

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 10:16AM

Love that!

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 03:03AM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's OK to be gay.
> It's not OK to be mormon. :(

It's not OK to be MORmON. (BIG SMILEY FACE)

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 05:03PM

SOrry, I also posted elsewhere.

I think this is great.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 05:47PM

waiting for the LDS Spinmeisters for an answer/response;

Waiting

Waiting

Waiting.

Posted by: numberRus ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 06:46PM

It was against the rules to record video in the meetinghouse and her supporters disrupted their otherwise TBM meeting.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 06:56PM

I'm tired of the Morg dancing around a land mine. They try and say it's ok to be Mormon and gay (but with a laundry list of rules). They clearly don't think it's ok to be Mormon and gay. Their 'rules' for a gay member are completely hurtful and unrealistic. The fact that this has made national news shows that this topic will continue to resurface. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

Date: June 22, 2017 08:24PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 10:03PM

Still Waiting...

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 10:09PM

I've seen her story show up a few times now on my Facebook feed, including CNN and the New York Times. I'm glad it's going viral at this point.

Date: June 22, 2017 10:35PM

Savannah has made a meaningful proclamation to the world.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 12:57AM

It was on the local TV news in Sacramento. Church leaders said that Savannah's comments were "inappropriate" for the setting. Her mother, an exmormon, said, "how else is she going to address the whole ward?" I thought it was cool they included that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2017 01:00AM by donbagley.

Posted by: overit ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 02:47AM

tbm response
she is too young to e saying this
she was a puppet, parents wrote it for her
should not be recorded
we are only supposed to testify of christ in testimony - yeah right,

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 07:21AM

"she was a puppet, parents wrote it for her"

oh the irony...."Testimonies" for mormons aren't about true and real spiritual thoughts and how they relate to you personally...Testimonies are about the sheeple reinforcing cult tactics to everyone else..

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 11:24AM

I remember MANY kids about 2 years old going up to give their testimonies with their mom next to them saying it loud and the little kids repeating it word for word.

Date: June 23, 2017 11:41AM

Gotta start training them young!

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 07:19AM

I watched the video and she did get to make her point...several times before being cut off. Hopefully, her thoughtful and personal thoughts resonated w/everyone who heard them before she was cut off

Posted by: thegame2017 ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 07:49AM

They say testimony meeting should be testifying of Christ - basically everyone saying the same thing, which sounds boring as hell.

Every testimony meeting I have attended has people going up talking about doctors appointments, gardening, holidays, house repairs, basically anything they wanted. Older folk would list off their medical problems or tell a story about the 'good old days' when they were in the war or had to walk 20 miles barefoot to church. Younger members would talk about aspirations or getting on missions, then middle aged would show off about their jobs and business.

Savannah simply following example - spout your own bullshit in testimony meetings, everybody does it!

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 12:01PM

^^^^
So true. And crying about drivel as well.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 08:26AM

Alas, the leaders realize that they appeal to more people by being against gays.

Posted by: VZ Gardner ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 08:39AM

Still nothing in the SL Tribune or Ogden Standard-Examinar; spineless bastards!

Date: June 23, 2017 08:59AM

VZ Gardner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Still nothing in the SL Tribune or Ogden
> Standard-Examinar; spineless bastards!

Correction. I misspelled; should read: "Ogden Substandard-Exaggerated."

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 10:27AM

I was really surprised that it was not in the SLTrib. I'd think they would be all over this, but perhaps the owner didn't like the idea. He is LDS and in charge. Peggy Fletcher Stack is LDS, too, but normally reports any and everything, favorable to Mormon Co., or not.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 08:48AM

What's so funny is that each time something like this happens in a Mormon setting, it appears to make it farther and farther in the news. I suppose this has to be a bit unsettling to Mormon Co. I'm 100% for whatever makes them squirm a bit and lose even more credibility.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 11:09AM

It's nice to see TSCC no longer gets special treatment from the media. They frittered that away.

Getting her 15 minutes at 12. Hopefully there will be copycats.

Posted by: Godzilla ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 12:05PM

Has any info come out about the guy who shut her up? I am sure he is getting quite a few messages

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 02:49PM

I'll ask this again, here. Do any of you remember a time, some years ago, in the San Francisco area that every testimony meeting another Mormon guy came out as gay? Anyone know if that is true or a rumor?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 12:23AM

It made the national TV news up here too.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: June 24, 2017 02:19AM

Brave, articulate, composed young lady...she will go far in life.

It's been a decade since I've been in a Mormon sacrament meeting and I'd forgotten how noisy the kids are, and how bored and inattentive the adults can appear. It honestly looked to me like NOBODY was even paying attention to Savanna's testimony until the mic got shut off. Then everything went dead silent as the members of the congregation tried to sort out what was happening.

Did anybody else notice that?

Date: June 24, 2017 11:49AM

Yes I noticed! She mentions being gay and not even a flinch from anyone in view (which is what I would've expected). The last time I was in a SM was for a baby blessing I think (3 years ago). My adult siblings were all texting each other. Kids were super loud everywhere and nobody was listening. I was thinking what is the point? To which my TBM mother would likely say 'to be uplifted!' I wanted to be uplifted right outta there. ;-)

Date: June 24, 2017 09:04PM

http://www.standard.net/State/2017/06/24/Microphone-cut-after-Mormon-girl-reveals-she-s-gay-at-church-1.html

Well, I'll be damned; looks like the Ogden S-E finally picked up the AP story and found the guts to run it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.