Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 12:39PM

In the Daily News (6.24.07) 'Dear Abby' column, I read this: "We have a granddaughter about to be married...the wedding will have a Wiccan theme".

'Wiccan' is spoken of in this article as a 'religion'.

Q: What the heck is "wiccan" (as a religion)?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 12:43PM

Check it out on Google.

Wicca is a modern pagan, witchcraft religion. It was developed in England during the first half of the 20th century and was introduced to the public in 1954 by Gerald Gardner, a retired British civil servant. Wicca draws upon a diverse set of ancient pagan and 20th century hermetic motifs for its theological structure and ritual practice.

Wicca - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicca

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 01:15PM

Bear in mind Wicca is highly individualistic. There is no basic canon of writings or ecclesiastical authority. Lots of people have lots of ideas on what constitutes real Wicca and its practice, although there are certain beliefs and practices which are extremely common.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 01:29PM

This was a youngish, 20-something fellow, and the subject of polygamy came up, and he said he grew up in a polygamous household...

Wiccan, he said, not fundamentalist Mormon, and he said they practiced polyandry as well...

Well, at least that's more democratic...

He was estranged from his parents and spent time in a foster home and said that couple were far better to him than his biological ones.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2017 01:30PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 02:38PM

Just goes to show that all groups have assholes, even mine.

Heidi GWOTR (Good Witch Of The Rockies)

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 03:54PM

And a god, although there are Dianic Wicca groups that focus solely on the divine feminine for various reasons. Like caffiend explained, it is a highly individualistic path that people pick and choose for themselves. The basic tenet of the practice is "An it harm none, do what ye will" and "All gods are one just as all goddesses are one" meaning all gods are different aspects and faces of the divine, even the darkest ones. Some people have patron gods and/or goddesses, so are more into the nature aspect, while others are walking the eclectic path and much more. Wiccans celebrate specific holy days like the solstices, Yule and Midsummer, the equinoxes, Ostara and Mabon, and other highly holy days such as Imbolc (I believe we have a poster with that name here), Beltane (May Day), Lughnasadh, and the best one of all, Samhain, what most people call Halloween.

Modern Wicca a has its roots in the Gardnerian traditions and influenced by Crowley's ideas (He was thrown out of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn). There's a whole occult history and rivalry that is quite fascinating. It would be interesting to see HBO or another channel do a series on Crowley, Gardner and all the others involved with this part of the occult.

So there you go. If she's going to a Wiccan wedding, there will be flowers, possibly a hand-fasting with a ribbon, maybe jumping the broom, and honouring nature and the feminine and masculine divine.

Source: Former pagan for around a decade or so that had to refresh my memory on some of this stuff.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 09:31AM

Speaking of Gods and Goddesses...

If anyone here hasn't seen the series on Starz called "American Gods," get yourself over to Amazon Prime and binge. It's soooo goood and is a really interesting commentary on worship contrasted from ancient times to the present day. Hint: The "God" we worship in modern times is not the Judeo-christian god. Although there are a bunch of Jesuses in the season finale.

I'll say no more. Go binge. You're welcome.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 09:33AM

That is one of my favourite books of all time and I want to watch the series, but my TV fund has to go into Game of Thrones this summer. Neil Gaiman is a genius. :)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 05:51PM

I have both a family member and a friend who identify as Wiccan. Both are wonderful people. One likes it because it's Earth-based, the other because her "Christian" parents are very judgmental and angry people--Wiccans are not.

I enjoy the company of both these people. Wiccanism isn't for me, but my religion doesn't resonate with them. IMO, religion shouldn't be a factor in enjoying a great friendship or in loving a family member. Best wishes, the Boner.

Posted by: LisaMeow ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 10:23PM

Wicca is not Paganism, neither Neo-Paganism; in a sense, it is ritual, witchcraft, based on these; it is not the Magick of Aleister Crowley, which is related more to the Magian tradition (He has been called The Magian Prophet); Paganism is a religion, such as the Greek, Egyptian, ancient Celtic, etc.; Wicca is ritual witchcraft practice, in its format, based on such paganism. Wiccan practice emphasizes gain- some rituals are for money, some for love, some for protection, etc... one is evoking occult energies, generally White Magic, to such ends. Those calling themselves Wiccan generally don't practice Black Magic- this would be called Satanism, or something else.
Of The Twelve Religions, there appears to me to be some sublime relationship to Taoism, with Wicca. But again, it is essentially witchcraft or White Magic ritual practice.

Posted by: infinitelyme ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 11:25PM

Black magic is forbidden: "an ye harm none; do as ye will"

Black magic is negative energy and harms, therefore it is against the Wiccan creed.

Also, one way to come to understand the "magic", consider a bishop blessing bread, or a Catholic priest blessing the sacrament to be the body of Christ and the wine to be the blood of Christ, those are also " magic " rituals. They are one in the same.

There are also rituals that are perceived to be very cultish, much like the Mormon Temple rituals, however, none are required, none cost money, and no one is evil or bad for not doing them that way. The truth is in your heart, not in how you perform any ritual or ceremony or marriage or blessing or spell. What is in your heart is what you put out to the universe, and it's what you get back.

Consider a spell equal to a prayer. Wiccans cast spells, and they are essentially prayers, either written in the words of the literature suggested it, or in their own words.

Consider a potion to be aromatherapy. A love potion might be a combination of flowers and spices that you simmer on your stove in a regular pot. The smells actually do a Elicit a warm feeling in your home. The spell a.k.a. prayer going on with that is wishing for the love of a certain individual. With no "spell" attached, you are simply trying to generate good energy in your home.

It is a religion in so much as the practitioner believes what he or she is thinking or doing or saying is appealing to a higher power, and for the good of all.

In my understanding, and in my own practice of it, I consider it to be more aligned with Buddhism.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2017 12:12AM by infinitelyme.

Posted by: slayermegatron ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 08:04AM

For bringing money I prefer having the playful cat in my storefront. He just sits there grabbing all the money for me ;) no need for magic.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 12:13AM

yet more silliness.

Posted by: infinitelyme ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 12:33AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yet more silliness.

In the extreme, yes, you're absolutely correct. For the every day practitioner, it's just good juju.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 12:47AM

Yeah, I have had some spells cast against me by these crazies.

And that's just what they are. Crazies. It's no different than the mormons casting curses on Kirtland, and other places. Those places are doing just fine.

It's been about 2 decades since I had some nasty spells directed at me. Do you want to guess how it all turned out?

The little witch lost her children to children services. I'm thinking they got lucky. Her various boy friends (fathers of kids) left her long ago. She's been in prison for at least 10 years now. IDK what for, and i'm not going to put any energy into finding out why. Just happy that she is a thing of a long ago past that came into my life, and not of my own bidding, just one of those flukes.

I had enough of that silly shit to know that it's even crazier than mormonism. Want no part of any of it.

I'm going to go take a shower after mentioning those things all in one post. UGH. I won't be doing that again.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 02:13AM

It's medieval dress-up without the weaponry. Lots of Enya albums and Birkenstocks in the back of the closet.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 10:03AM

So true. *LOL*

And don't forget to add a "K to the word "magic".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2017 10:05AM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 08:31AM

The fact that it was invented in the 20th century should give an idea of its authenticity...

Posted by: slayermegatron ( )
Date: June 23, 2017 09:31AM

It's the real deal...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.