Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 02:13PM

Those of us who live in the valley of the stunned become so used to the constant sound of low flying air traffic that we hardly notice it.

That is until it falls silent.

The last time it was so quiet here was on that dark dismal day in 2001.

Praise the lord and pass the icewater.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 02:15PM

I was wonderin how you are managing over there.

Stay cool!

Date: June 21, 2017 02:16PM

I just trying to get cool.

Date: June 21, 2017 02:29PM

To think I nearly took early retirement last winter to move to St. George. Had a contract on my 'forever' house and everything. As much as I want to live there, I don't know how I will cope with the summers when they go over record like this one is.

Someone told me you go out in the early morning while it's still cool, to run errands or go for a walk, etc. Then spend the rest of the day indoors with the AC on.

Where you're at, the news was saying just yesterday that the heat wave was bouncing up from the pavement at the airport. Why dozens of flights were cancelled - which doesn't happen very often for Phoenix.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/dangerous-heat-blanket-southwest-u-s-n774431

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 04:43PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where you're at, the news was saying just
> yesterday that the heat wave was bouncing up from
> the pavement at the airport. Why dozens of flights
> were cancelled - which doesn't happen very often
> for Phoenix.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/science-airplanes-fly-high-heat-48163435

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 02:29PM

Stay cool, Shummy. It's 100 here in Sacto.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 03:15PM

It's funny to say "heatwave" when referring to Phoenix because it's usually an oven there from about April to October. But when I lived there, I don't remember temps above about 115 and you've been way beyond that lately. I hope everyone has air conditioning or has moved to a shelter by now. I think it would be risky to be caught outdoors or in an building with no cooling.

I guess in the olden days, the few people who lived in the area were in adobe homes with very thick walls which stand up to the heat fairly well.

All I can suggest is to seek good cover and drink plenty of water and put pot holders in the car to grasp the steering wheel.

Posted by: hunnydew ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 08:41PM

when its hot its hot, and when it rains, it pours, or so they say

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 03:16PM

Date: June 21, 2017 03:18PM

I heard the "it was too hot to fly in Phoenix" story on my way home from work last night.
And my first thought was, "Wow, people living near the airport are probably wondering where all the planes went!" :)

Stay cool out there. Right at 100 at my home today (but I'm closer to the beach, where it's a cool 82!).

Date: June 21, 2017 03:22PM

Oh yeah that UK apt that burned so badly......yet still remains standing.

Guess it forgot to fall down like those flimsy trade center towers. :(

Date: June 21, 2017 03:29PM

Yeah, 'cause airplanes crashing into buildings and spilling out thousands of gallons of high-temperature burning jet fuel is exactly the same as furniture burning.

Oh, wait...never mind.

Date: June 21, 2017 03:32PM

Well hie you already got me with that boast about the beach.

Date: June 21, 2017 03:43PM

Boast? :)

I can see La Jolla shores from my office window.
I'm not AT La Jolla shores, I'm stuck in an office...but I can see it!

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 06:06PM

My swimming buddy swears by Coronado and we usually go there. The waves are more fun at LJS.

Date: June 21, 2017 03:54PM

I still envy you of course.

Oh and lest I forget.......happy solstice everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIZFO4tY9D0

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 04:21PM

This kind of weather causes my mil to want to spend the summers at my house in the PNW. Nooooooooooooo!

At least she can't just hop on a plane and show up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2017 04:23PM by janis.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 06:15PM

It's 97F/36.1C in Northern Utah right now. There's also a smog alert asking motorists to drive as little as possible. The Hot Boner.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 06:23PM

You pikers...I worked construction in Fresno during the summer.

Of course, I was 22 and thought I was a stud.

And we knocked off work at 2:30.

Date: June 21, 2017 06:24PM

I remember summer in Provo.

Nobody had air conditioning back then.

Date: June 21, 2017 08:24PM

Come to Niagara Falls. It's always cool by the water. Picture yourself there. ;)

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 11:39PM

There's nothing quite like living and working in a refrigerator. If you're lucky, you get to go from one refrigerator to another, not spending any amount of significant time in between.

One of the morning talk show hosts this morning on the way to work said that this morning, he stopped on the way between his car on the way in to the building, just long enough to complain to a crew of outdoor construction workers, about how hot it was.

Date: June 22, 2017 12:32PM

My family lived in Las Vegas when I was a young child. I recall the one summer spent there was pretty hot, and we didn't have AC.

One day we walked to the community center nearby, where I saw a water cooler for the first time in my young life. I remember having a drink of water, and then wanting to park myself in front of that cooler for the rest of the day. :)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 12:55PM

My boyfriend's mother lives there. She and her daughter count down days to October like we count down days to March here in Utah.

We went down there the weekend of the 4th of July last year to pick up my boyfriend's deceased dad's pickup. Oh my hell! I was miserable. His mom kept the air conditioning at 84. That was better than being outside, but I don't tolerate heat well. I was MISERABLE.

It was bad enough hoeing beets in Corinne, Utah, under the direct hot summer sun with horse flies stinging you. We used to have contests about how many horse flies we could kill in a day. The dirt was always so dry and you'd go home looking like you were covered in dirt.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.