Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 10:17PM

This isn't mormon-recovery related...

And OK, I'm not even going to try to set this up in a thoughtful, intelligent way. Simply to ask a question in a moment.

I read the article titled, "How St. Augustine Invented Sex http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/06/19/how-st-augustine-invented-sex

It's a great read. His thoughts on sex and "original sin."

My question is: If there is such a thing as "original sin" and knowledge of good and evil, including things sexual, that happened after eating the fruit...how did animals know "how" to do the deed? I mean, if you believe that mankind fell because of what happened there, how did the animals "fall," too? How did they--unrelated to us--know how to procreate?

Disclaimer: I don't believe any of the Bible hooey. I'm just wondering how those in the faith explain this. It hit me after reading this article.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2017 10:17PM by txrancher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 10:39PM

From "schwing!" to sainthood.

Sorry, that's all I got.

Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 12:00AM

LOL not helpful, but very funny!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 03:28AM

The article is a good read. I've read St. Augustan's Confessions a couple of times. Many years ago, Confessions was a central part of the Western canon and a required reading.

St. Augustan is one of three "doctors" of the Catholic Church. He was a great teacher and many of his insights are powerful for people of faith today.

However, he was a product of his times. And even though he is a "doctor of the church," Catholics and Protestants (such as myself) consider him a great teacher and recognize that some of his writings do not resonate with modern or post-modern people.

For example, Augustan had many thoughts about evil, but neither he (nor any other theologian) could conceptualize the sheer volume of evil wrought in the 20th Century through war, holocaust, and "state-ism." In Augustan's time, the problem of evil was a more personal, rather than collective, concept.

As to Genesis, yes, some Christians read it as literal history. However, most Jews, Catholics, and Mainline Protestants read it as mythology and metaphor and recognize inconsistencies in the texts between, say, the creation order in Genesis 1, in contrast to, Genesis 2.

Very best wishes and thanks for the read! The Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2017 03:31AM by BYU Boner.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.