Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 04:53PM

I walked in to my neighborhood grocery store to buy some food. Over by the dairy section, there was a guy handing out samples of cricket protein bars. He asked me if I wanted to try a sample. I said no. A few minutes later, I backtracked my steps and decided to open my horizons. Hey, WTF, people all over eat insects.

I tasted three cricket protein bars--milk chocolate, peanut butter, and dark chocolate with a whisk of cayenne. Each contained double the protein of most protein bars.

The consistency was chewy and crunchy (think of a chocolate-covered expresso bean with a gooey inside.) Then, I got to thinking--the Morg got it all wrong. When the pioneers entered the valley and planted their crops, the Lord sent them a high-protein, sustainable food source. The prophet screwed up again and now we've got a monument those who ate the Lord's food. Who was the bird brain here? Brigham's Boner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 04:59PM

that's gross OPie ~

Date: June 20, 2017 06:17PM

But tasty!

Date: June 20, 2017 06:13PM

Okay, so either you're a perv looking for ways to make it better, or you enjoy a wide-array of reading. Here's one you can add to your reading list. Note Figure 1.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/225635587_Pressures_produced_when_penguins_pooh_-_Calculations_on_avian_defaecation

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 07:26PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay, so either you're a perv looking for ways to
> make it better, or you enjoy a wide-array of
> reading.

Or both! Plus time spent in China, where all sorts of interesting topics come up. :)

Eating crickets there is thought to "increase sexual desire and attractiveness, invoke love." While katydids are simply a "sex drive stimulator." But you knew that, right? :-)

> Here's one you can add to your reading
> list. Note Figure 1.

Hmm, when I went there, it suggested that people reading that article also read one titled, "Emergence of long-range phase coherence in non-local fluids of light."
Wonder what the connection to penguin poop is?
Loved the graphics!

Date: June 20, 2017 08:19PM

Hey Bro, I've got to run--Mrs. Boner is on her knees planting some flowers...ever done it in the dirt?

Date: June 20, 2017 08:21PM

In the reference list, there's a thanks to previous researchers who earlier determined the viscosity of penguin poop.

Date: June 21, 2017 09:33AM

Science marches on in its quest for fact...:)

Posted by: slayermegatron ( )
Date: June 22, 2017 03:00AM

I love Chinese healthy food concepts. Walnuts help your brain, because you know, they look like a brain. If I eat cow spinal cord in my hot pot then obviously it's going to help me with back problems. Now I don't even ask my friends here why, I just start trying to figure out what it looks like or what part of the body it is. I have to admit I am just a laowai, and they have been doing this stuff for thousands of years, maybe there is something to it. So eat the damned krickets!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 05:28PM

Never mind that people of other cultures have been eating them for centuries. Stir fried tarantula, anyone? I hear they taste like crab...

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 06:19PM

Lolol! I love this, BYUB!

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 07:29PM

So that's what happened to Jiminy Cricket. Havent seen him around for awhile.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 08:20PM

I attended a cookout run by my college's Entomology department where cricket tacos were part of the menu. Pretty interesting taste, but I personally preferred the chili with mealworms.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 08:47PM

Elijah the Tishbite and John the Baptist ate locusts. If it was good enough for them, it's good enough for me!

Date: June 20, 2017 09:27PM

I'd try the locusts; but I hate honey. Sticky, sickening, sweet bee vomit! Yuck!

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 10:22AM

Only because they didn't have ketchup.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 09:25PM

I hope cricket doesn't hear about this.

Date: June 20, 2017 10:46PM

You're dating yourself, Don.
Boner: Lots of what's served as honey, isn't--it's frankenfood, Sweetie!

Date: June 21, 2017 03:56AM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Boner: Lots of what's served as honey, isn't--it's
> frankenfood, Sweetie!

Bro, I live in Utah (Deseret, from the Book of Mormon--the honeybee). People give me honey that they've extracted from their hives. I always thank them but look for ways to cook with it. The Mrs. likes it on toast, yuck!

Date: June 21, 2017 10:05AM

A minor item of interest: What you see on the supermarket shelf marketed as "clover honey," is probably from alfalfa apiaries.

Date: June 21, 2017 10:09AM

Most of our local honey out here is "orange blossom" -- and it really is. The orange grove owners hire the beekeepers to bring the hives out and pollinate the trees, the beekeepers get the honey. Win-win :) And the honey has a pleasant, subtle citrus note...

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 06:52AM

The wings get in my teeth.

Posted by: iwenttothewoods ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 08:33AM

I want to try this! What grocery store do they sell these in, if you don't mind my asking.

Date: June 21, 2017 06:07PM

The Downtown Harmons (City Creek).

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 09:30AM

I'm allergic to honey.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 10:13AM

I make my own granola bars with cricket powder. You can buy the food grade powder on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Cricket-powder-made-100-22/dp/B00OMCTODQ/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1498054136&sr=8-3&keywords=cricket+flour

($6.75 for 1100 crickets).

They are ground up to a flour-like consistency and they don't really change the taste of the bars. They add a lot of protein and it is fun for the grandkids to say they eat crickets, but really no one would know from taste if you didn't tell them.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 10:28AM

Ewwww!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 11:17AM

"Four-year-old Miles of Phoenix, Ariz., often enjoys a fried scorpion whenever he’s feeling hungry after his dad, Josh Mauls, came up with a simple recipe — mixing the arachnid with bread crumbs and an egg wash.

“It’s not like I got him licking nine-volt batteries or riding around on my lawn mower,” Mauls told KPHO.

Mauls explained that after he and his son hunt for scorpions at night using a blacklight flash light before freezing the creatures “to put them out of their misery.”

They then cut off the stinger before preparing the dish. Cooking the scorpion neutralizes its venom.

Although his son seems to enjoy the delicacy, Mauls said fried scorpion is not for him.

“I couldn’t chew it, so I swallowed it whole and I could feel every pointy leg, every claw as it lodged its way slowly down my throat,” he said. "I had to swallow five or six times."

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 12:41PM

They do this a lot in Southeast Asia and in China. No one knows why.

Date: June 21, 2017 06:12PM

During cocktail hour do they serve "Stingers?"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.