Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: turbo ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 09:36AM

Any recommendations for good books on the history of religion/Christianity/Bible? Looking for honest, objective, reputable, concise but thorough.

Thanks ahead!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 09:42AM

History of god

Posted by: digblogger ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 09:43AM

Oh, also Big Gods

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 12:44PM

A Roman Catholic company called Now You Know has CD's on history of Christianity that I think are pretty accurate and balanced. The Professor named David Zachariah Flanagin has one called Martin Luther and the Origins of Protestant Christianity that I found very enlightening.

(I am not and never have been Catholic, so my recommendation is not biased as far as I know.)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 01:35PM

The ESV Study Bible's slant is Reformed/Evangelical, but it has excellent chapter introductions which concisely present authorship, dating, purpose, and themes, including varying and even opposing scholarship (early dating, late dating, multiple authorship, etc.) Then you get an outline of the book and a review of themes and issues.There are further essays on Biblical genres (Wisdom literature, histories, gospels, epistles, etc.) It also has excellent notes about unusual word meanings, how a verse differs or reinforces a similar verse elsewhere, how the writer's contemporaries would understand it, along with charts, maps, diagrams, and lists, for example how "gifts of the Spirit" vary in different NT books.

It's also a very readable translation. I strongly recommend that people leaving a cult distance themselves from the Bible they previously.

(And yes, Hie2Karamba, I know you'll suggest they distance themselves from all Bibles!) ;+)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 05:11PM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (And yes, Hie2Karamba, I know you'll suggest they
> distance themselves from all Bibles!) ;+)

Not at all, my friend!

Reading the bible start to finish is one of the best ways to become an atheist! :)

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 02:42PM

Any of Bart Ehrman's books.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.