Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 11:31AM

Sometimes an individual can brainwash another individual.

It rips my heart, on this father's day, to know a family member has been brainwashed by their spouse to see the rest of the family as the enemy.

How did they do this? By separating them, isolating them, from us.

And I don't know if my loved one will ever recover from what their spouse has be able to accomplish.

It's a sad tragedy

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 11:39AM

TV ads, political speeches, spouses, families, friends, employers, schools, and societies.

I'm sorry you're suffering from the brainwashing of a loved one.

Posted by: LeftTheMorg ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 11:40AM

It's a very sad tragedy. And it's unfortunate that individuals are able to brainwash other individuals more than we realize.

The brain is very pliable, especially to people who happen to possess con artist skills. There's a whole series of episodes about how people's brains can be used against them, it's a series under the National Geographic label, which was also run on PBS, called "Brain Games." The episodes can be found on youtube. Very, very enlightening.

Posted by: been there ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 11:51AM

Abuse requires privacy, be the abuser a cult, a family member or a "friend."

An aside - I have a neighbor whose husband "fell off the wagon" after nearly fifteen years of sobriety, in which time they had three children. He's started hitting her, and we hardly see her outside anymore. He's monitoring and following her. Extreme control.

Abusers are highly dependent on their abusees, as we see with TSCC. In reality, the "brainwash" is that the abusee is "powerless." This is why with any abuser, leaving can be dangerous and behavior of the abuser is desperate and unpredictable.

It's usually not a threat against life with a large, first-world cult, because the dependence is diversified.

The abused person must want to leave. Then, exit planning becomes possible. Yes, recovery is possible, as long as there is life.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.