Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonymous48 ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 12:31AM

Something I've been wondering lately is why TSCC owns things like City Creek and land developments in Florida. Is it just for more money? They clearly don't make it very publicly known to the members that they own them. I would love to hear everyones' theories, I've been trying to figure this out

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anonymous48 ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 12:32AM

Ahh, sorry for the typo in the title

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 01:10AM

Real estate has great worth and can easily be sold.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 07:38PM

Lex Luthor: Miss Teschmacher, when I was six years old my father said to me...

Miss Teschmacher: "Get out?"

Lex Luthor: [laughing] Before that. He said, "Son, stocks may rise and fall, utilities and transportation systems may collapse. People are no damn good, but they will always need LAND and they will pay through the nose to get it! Remember," my father said...

Otis: "... land."

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 12:29AM

Miss Teschmacher was quite busty.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 01:14AM

So Mormons can buy True Religion jeans :)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 02:20AM

ask Jim Hill, another of America's Empire Builders.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 02:26AM

I would disagree that they don't make it very publicly known to their members that they own them.

Monson's comment of "let's go shopping" still rings in my head.....

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 05:24AM

City creek was a power play. The more land the church could control around its "center of power" the better off it is.

They can keep undesirable businesses, churches, shelters far away.

They can also control the people. Try and kiss at shitty creek or wesr a t shirt critical of the church and see how fast they chase you off.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 06:30AM

It's called bleeding the beast. Tax payers foot the bill for their money laundering. Bless your heart, still giving them the benefit of the doubt. Nope, they own shitty creek and it all stinks.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 10:54PM

Money laundering? You do realize that tithing income is tax-free already, right. Converting it into a taxable asset may be many things, but it most certainly is not money laundering.

They hoped it would make them money, and it probably is. They also wanted to keep downtown SLC looking good, and succeeded there too.

Posted by: BeatMeatSparingly ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 03:33PM

I'm assuming he was talking about TSCC funneling money to insiders through construction contracts, etc... I'm not sure how much, if any, of that went on with the mall project, but I know it's happened in the past. A massive project like that would create lots of opportunities for them to skim a million here and there.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 11:30AM

Members tithings paid for those investments. Yet they are not shareholders.

Who profits? The prophets.

Real estate is a lucrative investment. These are zoned commercial properties, including temples and churches. Their value appreciates over time as opposed to a stock market decline.

The Q12 and GA are mostly conservative GOP businessmen who know how to expand their portfolios and personal wealth. They do the same for the church, and they each receive their own salary with benefit package including stock market portfolio.

That's why in part there's so much secrecy around church finances. Were the laypeople to discover where their money really goes, they'd be leaving in droves!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 11:05PM

A) stock market decline? Last one of those was 2007, when the Dow dropped to 6,500 or so. It is presently 21,000 and change. Just in terms of ROI, the City Creek money would have earned a mountain of money had they put it in the stock market instead.

Over the next century, the land downtown may do better, unless our overdue earthquake hits.

b)Their benefit package includes a stock market portfolio? I have never heard any such thing. What are the details around these portfolios?

Posted by: dirtbikr ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 12:35PM

They already are leaving in droves.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 01:38PM

Not fast enough.

There are still some holdouts left who will go down with the ship!

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 11:02PM

My guess is because they want to attract the upper middle class.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 11:56PM

To get morons' money when they visit Utar.

Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 12:08AM

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 05:26PM

LDS, Inc leaders were inspired that the real-estate boom would continue forever and allocated 3-5 Billion dollars of money that had at one time been donated to the church, or profits built from such donations, for a project to build luxury condos and a luxury shopping mall. After all Christ, Himself, was a great fan of having commerce right across the street from the Temple, and wealthy adherents of LDS, Inc would be willing to pay large sums to have a room with a view of the LDS, Inc Temple and HQ grounds.

The project would have the additional benefit of cannibalizing the nearby Gateway Center for tenants of their Large and Spacious Mall, thus creating a more distant destination for homeless and vagrants who are routinely ejected from the LDS, Inc HQ grounds, lest they be seen by the wealthy adherents who paid big bucks for their precious views.

Thus it was said, "Let us go shopping!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.