Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jbugg71 ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 01:02AM

- Mormonism tells you what underwear to wear. And. They. Ask. You. About. It. Repeatedly.

- Christianity lets you wear whatever underwear you desire and they don't ask about it! Briefs, low cut, thongs..it's all good.

- Mormonism doesn't allow you to drink coffee.
-Christianity serves coffee at church on Sunday. And regular, not just decaf.

- Mormonism believes that Jesus is the SON of God.
- Christianity believes Jesus IS God. God incarnate. God in the flesh. Same person.

- In Mormonism, you have to get a
"temple recommend" to get into the temple.
- In Christianity, you can get into any church at anytime anywhere in the world.

-Mormonism believes that you are saved by works.
- Christianity believes you are saved by GRACE.

- Mormonism believes that we can become God's.
- Christianity believes that no man can become God. There is only ONE God.

- Mormonism worships Joseph Smith.
- Christianity worships JESUS CHRIST.

- In Mormonism, you are required to tithe 10% of all your income in order to be a "good Mormon."
- In Christianity, there are no requirements to tithe. Tithing is between you and God and only you and God.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 03:01AM

Mormonism is quick to judge. You may be denied the sacrament or excommunicated for your sins. Church is for the saints, not the sinners.
Christianity is quick to forgive. With rare exceptions, you will never be denied communion and they wouldn't dream of excommunicating you. Church is for the sinners, not the saints.

Mormonism has no financial accountability.
Many, perhaps most Christian churches will tell you exactly how your donated money is spent.

A Mormon church service might only barely acknowledge Christmas or Easter.
In Christianity, these are the two most important holidays of the year.

In Mormonism, there is a significant time commitment to the church.
In Christianity, the time you spend involved with church and church activities is entirely up to you.

The Mormons are likely to chase you down if you go inactive.
Christians presume that you know the way to the church should you decide to go.

Nothing that you tell a Mormon bishop is confidential.
Everything that you tell a Christian priest or minister in confidence will be kept private between the two of you.

In Mormonism, your bishop will always be a male.
In many Christian churches, your pastor might very well be a woman.

Posted by: chulotc is snarky ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 03:09AM

- Kolobianism teaches that their god is doing his best to overcome natural laws in order to make his children perfect.
- Christianity teaches that their god is the one that made up the laws in the first place, then created beings he knew in advance would break the laws.

- Kolobianism teaches that their god actually sacrificed his son to satisfy this natural law.
- Christianity teaches that their god actually sacrificed himself to himself to appease himself to satisfy his artificial law.

- Kolobianism teaches that the most evil person on earth will live in a paradise so amazing that a man would kill himself if he were able to see it.
- Christianity teaches that the most benevolent person earth will be tortured for eternity if they don't make-believe that a flying jewish zombie lives in the sky somewhere.

Bottom line, both kolobianism and christianity are batshit crazy. Neither are good for our species.

Posted by: brian-the-christ ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 09:56AM

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 12:54PM

This is the only comparison that can be made in this type of thread.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 09:13AM

I love your list OP....but the key IS Christians worship JC. Not so with Mormons if they are truthful-they worship ole Joe. And summer your additions are great too. Love these comparisons. Doesn't it make it so obvious that Mormons aren't Christians??????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 09:30AM by honestone.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 09:39AM

Mormons didn't claim to be part of Christianity until recent years. Before that, they bragged about being separate and the only true restored church with no connections to any other church, all other churches being abominations.

Date: May 23, 2011 10:17AM

Right Cheryl....if ALL OTHER CHURCHES were an abomination how could they think of themselves as Christians.

Date: May 23, 2011 10:51AM

See honestone, this is where you get called out for not living up to your moniker. Please name one kolobian that you know who actually worships Joseph Smith. This is why I think people like you are only here to try and "fish out" ex-kolobians and try to convert them to x-ianity, which is insane.

You say kolobians don't worship jesus. That is a lie and you know it. If you're going to expose kolobianism for the farce that it is, you should at least be honest about it.

Maybe when so-called x-ians actually come together and agree on who jesus is you can start comparing that version to the version kolobians worship. Until then, you sound plain ridiculous.

X-ianity is just as evil a cult as kolobianism. Would you build a torture chamber in your basement and torture your children for not loving you? Or, if you don't believe in a literal hell (which means you don't really believe in the "real jesus") is there anything your children could do that would justify you annihilating them?

Then why do you worship a tyrant who would do these things?

Date: May 23, 2011 11:01AM

They do worship Joe smith, also the living morg prophet, their bishops, SPs, their wardhouses, stakehouses, temples, quads, BoMs, and their underwear.

Chrisians can be as bad, but there's a wide range among them and only a few of them are as cultish as mormon, none of which support the Utah mormon plyg compounds.

Date: May 23, 2011 11:06AM

Cherly, have you ever even been a kolobian? I know honestone hasn't.

When, in your years as a kolobian, did you ever say a prayer to joseph smith? or the current prophet? When did you ever close a prayer in joseph smith's name?

What exactly is your definition of worship? You're seriously grasping at straws here.

I'm just going to say it because this is crazy: You are lying, and for no good reason. There are no fans of the kolobian church here, but there's no need to lie about them. Telling the truth about them is damning enough.

So please, here's an opportunity to redeem yourself by proving me wrong: How exactly do kolobians worship joseph smith?

Date: May 23, 2011 11:08AM

Yes, I was a mormon, both mainstream and from a polygamy cult split off group.

Date: May 23, 2011 11:10AM

You've made a positive claim : that kolobians worship joseph smith.

Now you must provide supporting evidence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 11:13AM by chulotc is snarky.

Date: May 23, 2011 11:14AM

As well as how they honor, love, sing to, and prize the other things I listed.

Date: May 23, 2011 11:15AM

Then x-ians are guilty of worshiping the bible: which is idolatry.

You sure that's a road you want to go down?

Date: May 23, 2011 11:26AM

Mormons don't know the meaning of the word worship: showing reverence, admiration, honor, intense love.

I'm an atheist and don't care if people want to be Christians or not, as long as they don't support morg-type cultism.

Date: May 23, 2011 11:29AM

It teaches children that they're evil and that they will never be good enough, that they need a flying jewish zombie's help to be "good again."

Kolobianism's effects may be more immediate (which is why we're here), but x-ianity has had thousands of years to perfect its mind-control techniques. It's just as dangerous, if not more.

Date: May 23, 2011 11:53AM

She knows, and no other opinions have any value.

Posted by: rogertheshrubber ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 12:18PM

Chulotc, I think idolatry is a great word to use for almost any modern religion. I feel convinced a lot of my friends do worship the Bible.

I propose that each religious leader to speak of Jesus has merely carved out a being in their image. Basically, them with total power. So, Joseph's Jesus is basically him. When Xians yell that Mormons do not worship Jesus, what they mean is that LDS Jesus isn't in the same image as their Jesus. He acts like Tommy monson instead of Pat Robertson. They are right about JS worship, then, because Momos worship a creature who has all of JS's personality. But you would have to do some mental gymnastics to get there.

In a more direct sense, I always felt that "Praise to the Man" was a worship song. The description of JS as having power to "plan for his bretheren" is deification. So they double up. Adopting JS's version of Jesus, who is an ass like JS, and making JS his sidekick.

You are 100% correct, Chulotc, that there is no LDS teaching to worship JS. But there is an awfully worshipful undercurrent.

For my part, I believe that the only real God in TSCC is priesthood authority.

Date: May 23, 2011 01:06PM

As usual, Roger, you make perfect sense. If we assume that each god is the product of its human creator, then we can safely assume that kolobians worship joseph smith, since the god characters created by Joseph Smith have his attributes (ie, many wives, endless sex, etc.)

This would mean also that so-called x-ians worship bronze-age alpha male figures, since their god carries the attributes of the bronze-age alpha males that created it (ie, tribalism, genocide, slavery, territorialism, totalitarianism, scape-goating, etc)

So yeah, this makes perfect sense.

Date: May 23, 2011 01:22PM

And right back at ya.

Date: May 23, 2011 02:01PM

Joseph's Jesus is basically him?

I think that idea is interesting, but I don't see how it can be backed up. What things make Joseph's Jesus different than a mainstream Jesus?

There are obviously certain doctrinal differences between what Mormons and Christians believe to be basic ideas about Jesus (ie, Jesus accepting works, coming to America, definitions of God, etc). What I'm interested in is the idea that the Mormon Jesus reflects Joseph Smith.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 12:29PM

Date: May 23, 2011 12:59PM

She will never ever concede a point, so it is worthless to try and have a discussion with her. However, worship of JS does go on. The definition of worship doesn't necessarily contain an overt component. A lot of people would call this kind of worship "veneration." Both terms can be used interchangeably in most religions, I think.

In other words, people can worship JS as per the dictionary definition without realizing it.

However, the assertion that Mormons don't worship jeebus is inescapably ridiculous. That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard and it generally comes straight out of mainstream Christianity.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 09:20AM

Mormonism is a subset of christianity

It is a christian religion

sorry to break it to all you christers out there, but there are about 34,000 denominations (conservative estimate) of your religion and you'll probably find that - whatever your current denom - there are about 33,999 denoms who think you're wrong, misled, an apostate and probably an evil person led by the spirit of satan.

face it..... the worst critics of any christer denom are not us atheists.... it's people from *other* christer denoms

Date: May 23, 2011 09:31AM

Believe what you wish. Do you even know the tenets of Christianity? Look them up. Do Mormons agree?

Date: May 23, 2011 09:56AM

no

I do not know some of the tenets of christianity

because there's barely any sects that will agree what they are

I have been told that - to be a *Proper* christian - you have to believe in a literal Resurrection of jesus (mormon's do that)

I have been told that - to be a *Proper* christian - you have to believe in the innerrancy of the bible

I have been told that - to be a *Proper* christian - you have to believe in a literal 6 day creation, ~ 6,000 years ago

I have been told that - to be a *Proper* christian - you have to believe in a worldwide flood

I have been told that - to be a *Proper* christian - you have to believe in a literal rapture

I have been told that - to be a *Proper* christian - you have to believe in a lifelong virgin mary

I have been told that - to be a *Proper* christian - you have to believe in a literal nativity as told in the gospels (all of it.... even the bits that contradict each other)

so.................... WTF ARE THE TENETS OF CHRISTIANITY {according to you}?

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 10:05AM

Doctrinal purity to determine Christians is a lost cause. Christians killed each other for centuries over their differences, and they are equally diverse today. Each claims to be "true Christians".

Go to Northern Ireland and ask to see "Christians". For many years you would see two armed camps at each others throats.

The same thing happens with Jews and Muslims. There are Orthodox Jews who hate Zionism. Among Muslims, Sunni and Shia are often enemies.

Mormons are as Christian as Church of Christ, SDAs and JWs. Of course, there are self-appointed "Christians" who denigrate them, and the Mormons, as "cults of Christianity."

In recent days "Christians" were lambasting this Camping fella--but he's no more irrational than they are...he was just a bit more honest with his craziness.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 01:16PM

RAG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Doctrinal purity to determine Christians is a lost
> cause. Christians killed each other for centuries
> over their differences, and they are equally
> diverse today. Each claims to be "true
> Christians".
>
> Go to Northern Ireland and ask to see
> "Christians". For many years you would see two
> armed camps at each others throats.
>
> The same thing happens with Jews and Muslims.
> There are Orthodox Jews who hate Zionism. Among
> Muslims, Sunni and Shia are often enemies.
>
> Mormons are as Christian as Church of Christ, SDAs
> and JWs. Of course, there are self-appointed
> "Christians" who denigrate them, and the Mormons,
> as "cults of Christianity."
>
> In recent days "Christians" were lambasting this
> Camping fella--but he's no more irrational than
> they are...he was just a bit more honest with his
> craziness.

In my congregation:

I don't think anybody believes the bible to be literally true. The NT books were written edited, and selected by people with agendas.

People of other denominations and religions incl. atheists are seen as having a different pov. Nobody here feels they have an exclusive lock on truth.

Deacons & elders include women & gay people. All of them are adults.

The pastor is a woman. The head of the denomination is a woman.

Date: May 23, 2011 01:27PM

You're saying that nobody in your congregations believes in:

1. A literal resurrection
2. A worldwide flood
3. A 6,000 year old earth
4. That our species began with one man and one woman
5. Miracles

My question, then, is why go through the trouble of going to church at all? There are much better secular groups that offer fellowship and community service, and they don't have paid clergy.

Date: May 23, 2011 10:57AM

1. Everyone is born evil, and no matter how good they are they will burn in hell unless they make-believe that a flying jewish zombie lives in the sky.

2. X-ian god is perfect, yet somehow manages to have desires (which means he is not perfect) and some of those desires include being worshipped, a petty human characteristic.

3. X-ian god is omniscient, which means he knows his own future, which means he has no free will. If he acts contrary to what he knows he will do, then he was wrong before, which means he wasn't really omniscient in the first place. Hence, the x-ian god is a robot.

4. X-ian god is omnipotent, which means he is all-powerful, except that he is incapable of creating sentient beings who have free will AND never sin, which means he's not really all-powerful after all.

5. X-ian god rewards superstition over good deeds. If you are a murderer and rapist but "make-believe" that a flying jewish zombie killed himself on a cross, you'll go to heaven. If you are the most benevolent person on earth, but reject assertions that aren't supported by evidence, you will be tortured for eternity or annihilated, depending on the particular church you go to.

That pretty much covers it, no?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 10:57AM by chulotc is snarky.

Date: May 23, 2011 01:03PM

"Believe what you wish"

lol

I'm able to separate what my beliefs are and what the truth is. I don't post my beliefs here.

If we look at any rational perspective of Christianity, it has to include Mormonism. Perhaps Mormonism is on the "fringe" of Christianity. That would be fair. However, to cut it out of the perspective completely is silly.

Date: May 23, 2011 11:17AM

EssexExMo Wrote:
> Mormonism is a subset of christianity
>
> It is a christian religion
>
> sorry to break it to all you christers out there,
> but there are about 34,000 denominations
> (conservative estimate) of your religion and
> you'll probably find that - whatever your current
> denom - there are about 33,999 denoms who think
> you're wrong, misled, an apostate and probably an
> evil person led by the spirit of satan.
>
> face it..... the worst critics of any christer
> denom are not us atheists.... it's people from
> *other* christer denoms

Do Mormons believe Jesus IS GOd? No? Oh, well that's the whole basis of Christianity.

Therefore Mormons are NOT Christians. You have to believe the basic cruxt of Christianity in order to be a Christian.

Date: May 23, 2011 11:22AM

X-ians believe that the being known as jesus is really just a remote-controlled robot (part of the trinity) that was created by the "father."

Kolobians actually believe that jesus is the son of god, not a remote-controlled robot of god, and that he is a god and their savior.

So I guess you lose on this one, too, huh?

Date: May 23, 2011 11:55AM

...and so is Elohim, and so is Abraham, and so is Moses and so is Joseph Smith.

Mormons believe Jesus is one god among a pantheon of gods, just like the Xians do.

Posted by: Deco ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 11:02AM

which is not recognized by the LDS church.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his ONLY begotten Son, that WHOSOEVER believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

– John 3:16 (King James Version)

It really must bother the LDS church as the words 'whosoever believeth' may include homosexuals, african americans, and maybe even democrats.

Date: May 23, 2011 11:20AM

John 3:16 is the antithesis of modern mainstream x-ianity.

How could the x-ian god sacrifice his son if HE IS HIS OWN SON?

You can't have it both ways.

Date: May 23, 2011 11:21AM

chulotc is snarky Wrote:
> John 3:16 is the antithesis of modern mainstream
> x-ianity.
>
> How could the x-ian god sacrifice his son if HE IS
> HIS OWN SON?
>
> You can't have it both ways.

It's called the trinity, three in one. God, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Date: May 23, 2011 11:22AM

So he sacrificed himself, to himself, to appease himself. How rational...

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 11:28AM

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 11:23AM

Mormonism is pagan based, meaning that there is no "grace" under Christ whereby salvation is attained by belief in Christ. In Mormonism, you have to "earn" salavation and Christ has nothing to do with it, in real terms. You have a laundry list of Mormon shit you have to do including temple endowments and secret oaths, whereby you "might" gain salvation. Joe Smith (according to Mormonism) has more control over your salvation than Christ does.

This is the biggest difference.

Ron

Date: May 23, 2011 11:26AM

X-ianity is most certainly NOT based on grace, but kolobiansim is. This is where x-ians lose AGAIN.

In kolobianism, everyone, no matter how evil or bad will attain what x-ians call heaven. Works only matter if you want to be exalted.

In x-ianity, you must FIRST turn off your brain, then pretend or 'MAKE BELIEVE' that a flying jewish zombie lives in the sky. THEN, and ONLY THEN, will you receive your so-called grace, which is to worship a celestial tyrant for eternity. The good ones who don't turn off their brains will be tortured. What a nice bedtime story.

Date: May 23, 2011 11:27AM

chulotc is snarky Wrote:
> X-ianity is most certainly NOT based on grace, but
> kolobiansim is. This is where x-ians lose AGAIN.
>
> In kolobianism, everyone, no matter how evil or
> bad will attain what x-ians call heaven. Works
> only matter if you want to be exalted.
>
> In x-ianity, you must FIRST turn off your brain,
> then pretend or 'MAKE BELIEVE' that a flying
> jewish zombie lives in the sky. THEN, and ONLY
> THEN, will you receive your so-called grace, which
> is to worship a celestial tyrant for eternity. The
> good ones who don't turn off their brains will be
> tortured. What a nice bedtime story.

It's obvious you know nothing about Christianity.

Date: May 23, 2011 11:30AM

Now please point out for the class where I was wrong...

Date: May 23, 2011 11:48AM

Personally, I will admit, I only know about *Some* of the 34,000 denominations which comprise 'Christianity'

but, then again, I bet _YOU_ only know about the precepts and tenets of *some* of them, too

Date: May 23, 2011 01:49PM

How does the doctrine of works make it Pagan based? I'm not incredibly well read with regards to Paganism, so forgive me for my ignorance.

I'll ask some of my Pagan friends too to see what they think.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 11:45AM

Then I realized that those who insist they alone can define God are scarier than Mormons.

I find myself taking sides against them now in public forums. They like Mormons better than atheists, and they are the ones likely driving the 'Christian' agenda in politics. These people are not our friends.

I have no problem with most Christians, just the 'my way or the highway' fanatics. Judgment is not Christ like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 11:46AM by Heresy.

Date: May 23, 2011 11:54AM

Date: May 23, 2011 11:57AM

Date: May 23, 2011 12:29PM

Because of tht, the entire plan of salvation is basically based on how much brown nosing happens, particularly with concocted church officials.

In real life, it matters more to mormons that flip flops are not worn, that important Christian concepts such as simply being nice to each other.

The part of this that is truly sad, is that the brown nosing has basically come down to MONEY, whether in direct tithes, down to direct involvement such as cleaning toilets so a custodian does not have to be paid.

Many Christians also consider that the ministry of Christ was to set an example as one should live their life. In mormonism, Jesus would be kicked out of services based on appearance.

In addition, the tantrum that Jesus had with the money changers at the temple should raise soome red flags the next time someone rents temple clothes and pays through the till INSIDE the LDS temple.

Date: May 23, 2011 12:32PM

You have stated more than once that the central doctrine of Christianity was that Jesus IS God. That they are the same being.

In Gethsemane, we have a scene where Jesus prays "Thy will, not mine, be done."

I propose that any being, although filled with various, competing desires, only has ONE will, and that for one being to say, "thy will, not mine" to himself makes no sense.

Date: May 23, 2011 01:17PM

Date: May 23, 2011 12:35PM

Yet to be revealed. Pray about it......

Date: May 23, 2011 12:38PM

Praying about something is a cop-out, plain & simple.

In kolobianism, anyone, no matter how evil, can get to heaven. Works only matter if you want to be exalted.

In x-ianity, as we've point out, grace comes only AFTER you've surrendered your humanity and chosen to make-believe that a flying jewish zombie killed himself to satisfy a law that it created, knowing full well in advance that it would be broken.

Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Date: May 23, 2011 12:47PM

labeled "My 2 cents"?

Posted by: rgg ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 12:38PM

I agree with all of this however, we shouldn't forget that born again Christians can be some of the most dogmatic narrow-minded people around...

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 12:46PM

Theology is like arguing over the color of an invisible unicorn. No one can prove anything except that someone somewhere said something about what they believe.

At the end of the day, all that matters is how those beliefs dictate your choices and how you interact with others.

Both Christians and Mormons use their beliefs to try to control the lives of others, to some extent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 01:24PM by pista.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.