Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 11:06AM

Take a look at the new activity guidelines for young men ages 14-18, when the church dumps the BSA program at the end of the year.

https://www.lds.org/youth/ymactivities?lang=eng

A few that caught my eye are, "Making our own cookbook," "Cleaning a church building" and "Faith walk." I can't think of a single teen boy I know who would be interested in making a cookbook, or for that matter, most of the things on the church's list.

It looks like the new program is going to be a little different from the YM water skiing and rappelling activities my ward had in the past. Of course, the young women have had dull activities for years while the young men were off having fun.

Welcome to Young Women's, boys!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2017 11:27AM by want2bx.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 11:29AM

Yeah, that's a replacement for scouting.

I noticed they mentioned "basketball" then later "non-competitive sports"

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 11:51AM

What jumps out at me:

In the eight photographs I counted on that page, there appear to be 41 people's images.

Among them MAYBE (I can't be certain) one of them isn't white.

Tone deaf.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 12:49PM

Grow your own garden! Whoot! That'll excite the heart of any 14 year old.

Posted by: 2 early 2 log in ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 12:51PM

This tells me they're not even trying.

"Cleaning a church building."

I wonder if this is one of Bednar's ideas.

Posted by: CTRringturnsmyfingergreen ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 12:52PM

"Photograph A Tombstone" - Fuc$Ing Ghouls!

Purpose

Serve people who have family buried in the local cemetery by preserving and sharing the information found on the tombstones.

Description

Visit a local cemetery. Take gloves, small clippers, brooms, and other supplies to clean and clear tombstones as needed. Take photographs of the tombstones to document them. For tombstones that are difficult to read, do a rubbing, trace the indentations with a finger, and write the information down. Consider transcribing (indexing) the information from the tombstones. The indexed information about the tombstones will become searchable on FamilySearch.org.

If possible, download the BillionGraves app on a smartphone or tablet and use it to upload your photos of tombstones.

Posted by: Texmo ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 01:19PM

What's a noncompetitive sport? I seriously cannot think of a sport that is noncompetitive. Even hopscotch is competitive.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 01:41PM

"What's a noncompetitive sport?"

Peewee T-ball and Soccer.

I suppose all the YM get trophies too.

Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 02:45PM

Things like hiking, river rafting, and rock climbing are generally considered non-competitive sports, though they can be done in a competitive way.

Dictionary definitions of "sport" vary some use working like "and often of a competitive nature," indicating that the competitive nature component, though common, is not required.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/sport

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 10:54PM

A sport that is non-competitive: Walking

And I am SURE that walking will super-excite all teenage boys who would aspire to such a lofty athletic goal.

Posted by: Texmo ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 01:33PM

Oops, I read it wrong. It's a noncompetitive activity, not sport.

So glad I was a youth back in the 70s when church activities were fun. My stake had a junior olympics event. I ran and won the 880 yard dash and it was the start of my long career in track. We also went canoeing, skiing, had great dances with good, live bands, and fun roadshows. It was so much fun that we brought our nevermo friends along. I feel sorry for kids in church today.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 01:48PM

Our stake had a track and field day -- but only once that I recall. I was a junior in HS. Almost nobody came. I think I ended up winning most of the races.

Yes, the 70's were a much more interesting time to a youth in the morg.

Posted by: slayermegatron ( )
Date: June 16, 2017 05:45AM

Why can't they do those things now? Why can't they still go camping and all the rest? In writing this I realized the answer. They don't want to pay for the insurance. They don't want the liability.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 01:42PM

Why do they recommend having overnight activities 1-3 times a year? Why bother?

It's called camping and it was the only reason many of us endured scouting. Now I suppose that they will have an "overnight" at the stake center parking lot (keep off the grass).

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 02:49PM

Or they lock you in the building for a fun filled evening of lectures etc. Everyone bring a sleeping bag and sleep on the floor. Chaperones head to the Chiropractor in the morning.

Posted by: robinsaintcloud ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 02:29PM

in the late sixties, early seventies, we camped for a week on Smith Island off the coast of north carolina before it was developed into a resort, we canoed and camped in canada in waters so clean you could drink right off of your paddle, we 'trekked' from virginia to utah in a converted school bus for the last 'all-church' softball tournament, I was such a good pitcher for my teammate that he was able to win the home-run derby. Ahhh..........those were some fun times. Oh, and lots of white water rafting, too. Cleaning the church, yes, we did this sometimes...meh...the basement bathroom had the strangest odor, but the bishop always stated that he thought it was a very refreshing smell.

Posted by: IamNotAMormon ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 03:10PM

I noticed under Intellectually, they mentioned cooking 3 times. Really.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 03:15PM

And just when they had enough going on in tscc, a new program is created to send people outin droves! Could it get any worse?

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 03:17PM

They've officially jumped the shark.

It was a good run Brethren while it lasted.

Posted by: gheco ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 03:53PM

Some activities are noticeably absent.

Home brewing beer.

Organizing a gay pride parade.

Questioning authority.

Making a home hip-hop studio and slammin rhymes in the cultural hall night.

Tie Dying for fun and profit.

Organizing a local Occupy Wall Street.

Organizing a union in a minimum wage job.

Understanding affinity fraud.

Date: June 15, 2017 10:40PM

Lol! You left out "Crocheting with a Flair."

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 10:46PM

Manly Macrame!

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 16, 2017 09:38AM

Where is "Unhooking a bra with one hand"?

If the church is stuck in the 1950's, they need to get it right.

Date: June 15, 2017 10:48PM

Fussing over Tombstones-The Dream of Every Young Man Around the World

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 10:55PM

Notice how cleaning a church is a top priority. Does this apply to non-Mormons churches too?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 16, 2017 02:10PM

The Simpson's couldn't have done a better parody.

Posted by: Hmmnn ( )
Date: June 16, 2017 04:00PM

Apparently the Q15 aren't even pretending anymore.
All the stuff mentioned is either without cost, very little cost
Or benefits the bottom line like free labor.
Very little liability exposure in the activities mentioned too!

But you can clean toilets and rub gravestones! Goody!

Posted by: Scout ( )
Date: June 16, 2017 05:26PM

I'm glad they're changing to this new indoctrination program...'cause it's going to fail miserably. I think their missionary numbers are going to drop dramatically in the next few years.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: June 16, 2017 06:21PM

A few of these *could* be worthwhile, but I doubt TSCC can do it properly. I think that it would be a good idea for the YM (and YW) to learn basic cooking skills as well as basic home and auto maintenance and repair skills.
Also money management skills would be a excellent thing to learn - unfortunately, coming from TSCC , the first lesson will be to pay tithing before everything else which is BS.

The rest of seems to be mostly nothing but missionary prep and Morgbot training. I predict that this will be another fail from the Big 15.

Posted by: primarypianist ( )
Date: June 16, 2017 06:34PM

I was always so jealous of the Young Men when I was in Young Womens. They were always playing volleyball or basketball in the gym, while we did Personal Progress, or homemaker type activities. I guess they had to prepare us for being a stay at home mom, with our ten kids.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: June 16, 2017 06:48PM

Ever since the church announced its shift away from the BSA I've been wondering what Mormon Merit Badges would look. Pretty predictable, really.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 10:58PM

Well, I'm sure the merit badge for "cleaning the church" will feature a toilet and a scrub brush.

Posted by: turbo ( )
Date: June 16, 2017 06:56PM

So, do they make money off of the billion graves app too? Are they still making money by selling the indexing info? Clean the building, index so it can be sold. Child labor, they are always creative with their finances.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.